Old 08-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violets caddy View Post
Oh and a mando is always nice too.
Really? Unless they are there for safety, I really dislike mandos- especially when they only really leave one throw as an option. And especially when they make a right to left hyzer the only option, which I have seen way too often.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Blue Angel Park out here has a hanging basket, as well as a tiered green (3 steps up i believe) that not only add a slight amount of difficulty but also make the course(s) a bit more memorable

just my .02
Old 08-07-2011, 02:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.5
Courses Played: 101
I like elevated tees too. I see a lot more elevated greens than tees. I also thinked sloped greens or greens with danger right around the green works well.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 21
elevated tees are also something that adds depth to a hole, just make sure there isn't a big dropoff after the tee box, otherwise you'll have some injuries
Old 08-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 211
Buffalo Trace Park now has a hanging basket on hole 1. At first it looks like the stairs could get in the way but they don't since they're underneath the basket.

I agree with who-dat about elevated tees being very interesting. It seems less gimmicky and I remember all the courses I've played with elevated tees, but perhaps that's because I've only played a handful of them.

Elevated baskets are interesting, but a tough putting green is usually more of a challenge.

Last edited by AdamE; 08-09-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
Here's one that fits my description of a creative hole design. I encountered it recently and had never played anything quite like it. You could never photograph it, save for 80' up in a tree, so I'll try to describe it.

Ashe County #11.

Wooded fairway, dense woods on the side, which seems to end in a solid hedge of Rhododendrons, maybe 10' tall and 30' thick. But beyond that hedge is an opening in the woods---an oblong clearing surrounded by dense woods. At the end of that opening is another Rhododendron hedge, beyond which is another clearing in the woods, in which the basket lies.

After your drive you play a kind of blind hopscotch to the clearings. Some may differ but I found it very cool---I enjoyed it so much that I lingered for 7 or 8 strokes in the tournament.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanbond View Post
My very first permanent course design is going in the ground within the next two weeks. The park district in charge is quite open to jazzing up the hole designs with elevated baskets, obstacles, etc. I'm looking to find photo examples of various holes that have nice creative elements in their design; obstaces, built-up elevation, etc.

Please post your favorite basket configurations, hole designs, obstacles, etc!

So far I've emailed the park district these three hole photos:
The third one is hole 3 at Basil Marella! I helped "naturalize" that basket!

That hole is a 4 waiting to happen.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Here's one that fits my description of a creative hole design. I encountered it recently and had never played anything quite like it. You could never photograph it, save for 80' up in a tree, so I'll try to describe it.

Ashe County #11.

Wooded fairway, dense woods on the side, which seems to end in a solid hedge of Rhododendrons, maybe 10' tall and 30' thick. But beyond that hedge is an opening in the woods---an oblong clearing surrounded by dense woods. At the end of that opening is another Rhododendron hedge, beyond which is another clearing in the woods, in which the basket lies.

After your drive you play a kind of blind hopscotch to the clearings. Some may differ but I found it very cool---I enjoyed it so much that I lingered for 7 or 8 strokes in the tournament.
Ashe 11 is a bit controversial. Some people love it, some people think it's the dumbest hole in disc golf. I like it more every time I play it. I've been playing it ever since we first installed it, and I'm still trying new strategies. You can try crushing over the top of everything, thumber/hammer over everything, thumber/hammer over each bunker, high anhyzer flicks with overstable discs, high lofts with your understable putters ... probably even a few other shots that I'm forgetting.

I don't mean to speak for Harold, but I think I understand the reasoning behind the hole. Overhands are a part of the game now, but I've never seen a hole designed that specifically requires an overhand. You hear people talk about how a course will "test every shot in your arsenal," but IMO that typically ignores the overhand shots. This is a hole on a course that will actually test every shot in your arsenal.

I tried to capture the hole by photos for the course tour on the website. Took a lot of photos and a nice graphic (Matt Peckham's work on the graphic), but I think I captured the gist of it.
http://www.thehighcountrydiscgolfclu.../11/index.html
Click the red arrows for photos. Click the 4 arrow icon in the upper left of each photo for a full size shot. Scroll wheel zooms in and out once you're zoomed in.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
I'm not surprised Ashe County #11 is controversial---though I thought it was great. As for being "creative", I think that's undeniable.

I wouldn't consider it as a hole requiring an overhand, since I don't throw them (except in emergencies). It's an overhand opportunity but, as you mentioned, there are various options as to how to play it, requiring decisions and execution. Which is why I think it's great.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
that Ashe county hole is exactly what I have planned and scrapped and redesigned numerous times...been trying to figure out a way to make a forced overhand not a blind shot

I'm glad to see this hole exists somewhere