Old 08-11-2011, 06:04 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 587
Throwing Style: RHBH
It's a common recommendation from those on the advance team from the PDGA to secure hanging baskets during Worlds in some manner. Graham may have been the one to make the comment to the Charlotte team.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
No matter what is around them, the hole in ball golf does not move out of the way of the approaching ball.
Exactly.
Build a hill, secure the basket on the hill so it does not 'swing', problem solved.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 72
A few things.

First: No one actually landed on top of the basket during the tournament. The question was regarding the ruling had someone landed on top.

Second: The basket didn't really swing that much, and there was some sizable wind gusts. Between the weight of the basket and the gauge of the chain, it stayed pretty stable. The basket moved most when players were handling it to retrieve their discs.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 73
Nobody posed this question about legality of the hanging basket. According to the PDGA Technical Standards Document doesn't the baskets rim height have to be 82" (with a +/- 6" variance) above grade (playing surface) to make it legal for competition? Isn't this why we see the man-made pyramids in the playing surface in order to raise the baskets height?

Last edited by Jbowdown; 08-12-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 72
Well, there has been a twist. This came from Andrew Sweeton, PDGA Tour Manager on 8/12/11 14:08.

My official response on the subject:

Ruling:

"The hole as played and officiated in the event was legal as per the current 2011 PDGA Rules of Play and Competition Manual and as such did not require a waiver from the PDGA."

Commentary:

"Although legal under the current rules, this application of the two-meter rule was not well thought out and should not have been put in place. If I had been asked about this prior to the event, I would have strenously advised against using the two-meter rule in this fashion. The purpose of the two-meter rule is to provide risk-reward scenarios based on obstacles on the course. As the ultimate goal of every disc golf hole, the target itself should not be a risk-reward proposition and should not come in to play as an "obstacle" with the two-meter rule applied to it."
Old 08-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobwilson View Post
Well, there has been a twist. This came from Andrew Sweeton, PDGA Tour Manager on 8/12/11 14:08.

My official response on the subject:

Ruling:

"The hole as played and officiated in the event was legal as per the current 2011 PDGA Rules of Play and Competition Manual and as such did not require a waiver from the PDGA."

Commentary:

"Although legal under the current rules, this application of the two-meter rule was not well thought out and should not have been put in place. If I had been asked about this prior to the event, I would have strenously advised against using the two-meter rule in this fashion. The purpose of the two-meter rule is to provide risk-reward scenarios based on obstacles on the course. As the ultimate goal of every disc golf hole, the target itself should not be a risk-reward proposition and should not come in to play as an "obstacle" with the two-meter rule applied to it."
In other words, "What a stupid rule."
Old 08-12-2011, 02:40 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 587
Quote:
Jbowdown - Nobody posed this question about legality of the hanging basket. According to the PDGA Technical Standards Document doesn't the baskets rim height have to be 82" (with a +/- 6" variance) above grade (playing surface) to make it legal for competition?
If you read that particular spec closely, it says "as manufactured" not "as installed." Take a look at the Target section of the PDGA Course Guidelines that were updated earlier this year:

http://www.pdga.com/documents/pdga-c...ign-guidelines
Old 08-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
If you read that particular spec closely, it says "as manufactured" not "as installed." Take a look at the Target section of the PDGA Course Guidelines that were updated earlier this year:

http://www.pdga.com/documents/pdga-c...ign-guidelines
Oops, I meant cm instead of inches! That's very interesting that they don't have a designated minimum and a maximum, just a 'recommended' height. I guess that makes baskets that are either sunken into the ground or 30' in the air both legal.

I guess maybe it's a way to future-proof our sport to allow for DG EXTREME!
(Coming to the X-Games in 2025)
Old 10-30-2011, 08:02 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 4
Is there a rule that says you can hang a basket. I could see it being ok for league but for a PDGA tourney is this legal. I think it is ridiculous to have this as a hole, IMO

Old 10-30-2011, 08:43 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
http://www.pdga.com/rules/80203-targets

"A. Targets used to complete the hole may not violate any of the conditions set forth in the
official PDGA Technical Standards Document. See sections 803.13 B and C for criteria to hole out
for targets. "

Tech specs: http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/...8_1_11.doc.pdf

Thing is, I cant find anything in the tech specs that specifically requires a base. But it would have to have been PDGA approved _with_ whatever chain/rope it is hanging in, as far as I know.