Disc Golf Store

Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 07-24-2011, 05:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
A new (to us) plant is taking over burn zones in Southern California, those of you that play mountain courses in the area should pay special attention. It has many of the same effects as poison oak, and it looks like a happy pretty flower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turricula_(plant)
Old 09-10-2013, 05:35 PM
<------ your ad here

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 193
Woowowow do chigger bites itch!

I think I picked some up in Indy two weekends ago? But they just started itching a day or so ago. Is that possible? I guess I could have picked them up in Beverly Shores, IN (by L. Michigan) last weekend, but I didn't think they were in that area of the country.

Right now I've got huge red bumps on my ankles, just below the sock line. I'm familiar with most other types of bites and I'm a pro at getting poison ivy (read: it doesn't affect me much yet, but I know what it looks/feels like) so I'm 99% sure of my ID.

Anyone ever get chiggers in northern IN/IL or southern WI/MI?

Also, how long does it take from the time you pick the lil' bastards up until the itching really starts?
Old 09-10-2013, 06:14 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 31
Yes, chiggers are a great way to be misery.

The really crappy part is when they first puff up I don't quite know if they're chigger bites or poison oak. So I spend two itchy days wondering.

To answer your last question, I'll start feeling them a day or two after exposure.

I used to wear gaiters to avoid foxtails until I found that chiggers are attracted to warm dark places. I've since moved short ankle socks and don't get chigger bites and minimal foxtail problems.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 40
^ usually only a couple of days. Chiggers are a fact of life here down south, I didn't realize they migrate...
Old 09-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 129
Throwing Style: RHFH
Yes, there are a lot of southern (and eastern) courses where chiggers may be a concern. 3 recommendations, heavily spray a good DEET repellent, change your socks and shoes after your round, and enjoy a hot shower when you get home. If you get those invisible chigger bites (they do not show up for a day or 2), do not scratch that itch (easier said than done). I use a clear Caladryl lotion (rather than the old pink Calagon lotion). Changing socks/shoes the best solution.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:09 PM
<------ your ad here

Thanks for the tips.

Usually I'm religious about wearing tall socks and spraying up well with DEET; however, both in Indy and last w/e I did not respray my socks after changing them in between rounds. I think that is what got me.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 102
The really tiny ticks, we call them seed ticks, also do a great chigger impression. I've found that the best thing for chiggers is to put some nail polish over them and suffocate the bastards. Calamine, chiggerex, all of your other anti-itch creams just give very temporary relief for me.

Chiggers are attracted to dark, warm things too. They go hand in hand with brier patches and tall grass.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:01 PM
<------ your ad here

BroD jumps at any excuse to break out the nail polish.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:45 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
The really tiny ticks, we call them seed ticks, also do a great chigger impression. I've found that the best thing for chiggers is to put some nail polish over them and suffocate the bastards. Calamine, chiggerex, all of your other anti-itch creams just give very temporary relief for me.
I hate to break it to you, but by the time a chigger bite is itching, the chigger is long gone and the damage is done. Nail polish only works by the placebo effect.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:58 PM
<------ your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
I hate to break it to you, but by the time a chigger bite is itching, the chigger is long gone and the damage is done. Nail polish only works by the placebo effect.
^2nd the emotion