Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 09-10-2013, 11:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 115
It's been a terrible summer at Stoney Hill, with constant and amazing rains meaning we couldn't take the tractor a lot of places due to the soft ground. Plus, the grass loved the rain and grew like mad. So it was a fabulous summer for the chiggers.

Finally we had a few dry days so this past weekend I rode my 4-wheeler to check out a low area, declared it mowable, set out to get the tractor....and realized my phone had slipped out of a hole in my pocket, probably in that 2-foot-tall grass. I couldn't find it, even after borrowing another phone to call it (but reception is terrible here, especially in low spots).

So I mowed. I listened for a metal clank in the bushhog, hoping to catch the sight of my phone going into orbit and perhaps seeing its re-entry. Never heard it.

So after mowing I resumed my search, kicking through the thick grass cuttings along my remembered route from earlier that morning. And I found it.

Which is a long story to say that, when you mow tall chigger-filled grass, you end up wading through clippings chock full of furious chiggers.

The next day I was looking for a bowl of acid to soak my ankles in, in hopes of getting some relief.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2013, 12:40 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
This thread makes my legs itch.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:47 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 25
poison ivy is rumored to exist on one of our local courses. never seen it in person. I have run into stinging nettles before but the ones here are tame compared to the ones I grew up around back east. bugs are rarely an issue. I think I have it pretty good.

Last edited by worldwide; 09-11-2013 at 01:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 39
The other week we were playing a course and my son apparently hit a ground hornets nest or something. So far I have not seen anything like them on the web so not sure what they were but anyway they were attacking his disc and really pissed off. I walked with in 10 feet and one stung me on the hand. I then got the bright Idea to get a long stick to try to knock his disc away and ended up getting stung 3 more times. Needless to say the disc stayed were it was and I stuck it out and finished the round. This happened on hole 5 of a 27 hole course so it was basically a miserable round for the most part but we drove about an hour to get to the course so there was no way i was not playing it. I did almost get an ace on a 300ft + wooded hole so that was at least some consolation. I can say that over a week later though I am still itching in those spots and will never go near those things again. It's weird because i have ran into ground bees before and been stung but these things were just mean bastards and I can only compare their sting to a wasp sting that I had many years ago. They did not leave a stinger in me so that is why I am thinking ground hornet but when I look at pictures of them on the web they just don't look the same.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 123
TECNU!!!

hot, hot water... oh yea so nice

when not showering, use ice cubes to scratch
Old 09-11-2013, 10:51 AM
<------ your ad here

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 193
Chigger bite update: most of the intense itching seems to have passed. I scratched very little, so I think they're healing up pretty quickly. Hydrocortisone seemed to take away the itch a bit, but most effective was Absorbine, Jr. Took away most of the itch, cooled things down, and probably helped keep it disinfected (because of the alcohol content).

Luckily, the little bastards just got my ankles. Can't even imagine being covered in these things!

Does anyone have suggestions for taking care of chiggers remaining in shoes? What do you guys do shoe-wise after getting bitten? Sometimes it's just not feasible to send shoes through a washer/dryer.

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 123
leave em out in the sun for awhile (assuming hot, direct heat).. chiggers die this way (thus their proclivity to burrow in skin/hide in shady areas)

one thing i love to do for chiggers is alcohol. seriously. scratch the hell out of em --> rubbing alcohol. starts to heal the itch and the cooling sensation is that of the OTC creams.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:28 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
Chigger bite update: most of the intense itching seems to have passed. I scratched very little, so I think they're healing up pretty quickly. Hydrocortisone seemed to take away the itch a bit, but most effective was Absorbine, Jr. Took away most of the itch, cooled things down, and probably helped keep it disinfected (because of the alcohol content).

Luckily, the little bastards just got my ankles. Can't even imagine being covered in these things!

Does anyone have suggestions for taking care of chiggers remaining in shoes? What do you guys do shoe-wise after getting bitten? Sometimes it's just not feasible to send shoes through a washer/dryer.

Thanks!
I have never got them on my feet. Just under the socks. Did you get any feetsy bites?
Old 09-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 10
Was playing at Munden Point a couple weeks ago. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=243. A kid in the group a couple holes ahead was playing in the wood line and got into what we locally call seed ticks. These are basically baby ticks that are generally in webs and in very large groups. They are about the size of black pepper flakes. The kid was completely covered in them. The only way to get them off is to strip and wash. The course is an easy 30 to 45 minutes away from anything. I got into them once when I was a little kid and it was no fun at all. Felt sorry for the little guy. Anyone else ever ran into these?

This summer hasn't been to bad at my home course as far as annoyances go. No real chiggers, but the mosquitoes have been bad. Giant Tiger mosquitoes everywhere and we have had confirmed EEE. Deep Woods OFF has been prominent in my bag this summer. Poison Ivy has been everywhere, but that's not unusual.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
I hate to break it to you, but by the time a chigger bite is itching, the chigger is long gone and the damage is done. Nail polish only works by the placebo effect.
I disagree. According to websites I've read, the itching is caused by enzymes injected into the skin which in turn kills the skin. The chigger then eats the skin. They're still on your skin until you take a hot shower or whatever. Nail polish ****ing works bro.