Disc Golf Store
Old 07-10-2008, 06:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 27.6
Courses Played: 212
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via ICQ to Donovan Send a message via AIM to Donovan Send a message via MSN to Donovan Send a message via Yahoo to Donovan Send a message via Skype™ to Donovan
Roller Or Not To Roller...

Which online video gives the best info on throwing Rollers, YALL?
Old 07-10-2008, 06:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Send a message via ICQ to Donovan Send a message via AIM to Donovan Send a message via MSN to Donovan Send a message via Yahoo to Donovan Send a message via Skype™ to Donovan
Copied over from the other thread. Part 1 starting at the bottom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petecarp View Post
ROLLERS SUCK!

im glad someone said it. im proud to say ive never intentionally thrown a "roller" on a disc golf course. what makes this sport so enjoyable for me is watching a forehand with a perfect S-curve speed through a fairway cut into the trees, or a backhand that you know came out just right slice through the air and land 10 feet from the basket in about 5-10 seconds. the excitement of the sport dwindles dramatically when watching a disc roll on the ground skip over a root, nearly miss a stump, skip over another root, pick up "speed" as it rolls down a hill, then circles around itself a few times before coming to a stop, in all of say 10-20 seconds. i dont want to insult anyone that is a "roller" out there, and by all means if thats how you want to play go out and have a blast (or a roll) but these disc companies dont put all the effort into creating the most advanced flying plastic discs they can, only to have it rolled down the fairway. i dont think anyone out there will disagree that the flight of a thrown disc is a thing of beauty compared to the route(?) of a rolled disc.

oh and you cant ace a hole with a roll.

one last question, do any of you rollers throw bowling balls at the pins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkid32901 View Post
ROLLERS SUCK!

i feel the same way dude. I think that it is cheating as well. If you aren't strong enough to throw a backhand or a forehand than don't play this sport. It should only be used when it is needed. I completely agree....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asvetic View Post
I've never been a fan of intentional rollers... it always feels like cheating to me. I can understand the need for them, say there's heavy tree coverage. However, I've seen guys throw them on every hole and that just doesn't seem right.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Copied over from the other thread. Part 2 starting at the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radsnowsurfer View Post
Anyone who says that rollers suck has clearly not seen them well executed by experienced players. I think the concept that they are cheating the game is ridiculous, if you can figure out both how to throw them well and consistently and if you can find good routes on courses, good for you, use that tool. In response to coolkid's comment about people who can't throw backhand or forehand because they don't have enough power, you Clearly haven't seen good roller players, some of the longest throws in disc golf come on rollers, many players who can throw 400 can roll discs 550' or 600' rollers with optimal conditions. Now, I will say, I don't throw rollers, I simply have respect for those who throw them well, they're much more than luck, when you can birdie a hole 100' out of your air driving range, that's pure skill.

Oh and on the topic of the thread, I've loved my switch to lighter drivers, they're easier to throw and I've gained some distance without losing and power. I throw 162-164 X avengers for most of my distance drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petecarp View Post
garublador-1
me-0
i spoke out of emotion, but i still stand by my view that discs are meant to fly not roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
Well, except for the Roadrunner, but what does Dave Dunipace know about disc golf anyway? Most of the time I've seen the disc designers happy when one of their discs turns out to be a good roller. They all know the importance of that type of shot.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Copied over from the other thread. Part 3 starting at the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfeather View Post
Man, I was stuck in a thicket this morning, behind a tree. Threw a beautiful toss to get out, perfect arc. The wolf landed on edge and took off, rolling straight to the basket...and then past it...picked up speed...75' past the basket!

Arg, rollers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Rollers Rock! I throw them all the time, on purpose. If you are a weenie-arm and see a nice, slightly downhill, freshly mowed fairway and you don't pull out some driver you beat like a red-headed step-child and make like Proud Mary, put on some lipstick and call yourself Brittney because you are just giving it away like a high school girl on Prom Night. I don't care what Steady Ed expected me to do when he came up with the game, the damn things roll better than Zig-Zags and I'm gonna roll 'em!

Seriously, I watched a guy throw a roller that had so much spin that when it hit a tree in the fairway it zipped 10 feet up the trunk of the tree before it fell down. When it hit the ground it was still spinning and went back up the tree a few feet before it finally lost steam. Awesome stuff. I was at an event one time where the final nine was a bunch of monster safari holes, and some really good pros like Ron Russell, "Crazy" John Brooks and George Smith just threw amazing roller after roller. It was one of the most entertaining rounds I ever saw.

Entertaining enough that I went home and learned to throw rollers!

In Columbia, MO they have a "Roller Doubles" event every year. I forget the exact rules, I think it is mando rollers off the tee. Anyway, they have had that event for years in celebration of the roller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JConnell View Post
To you guys saying rollers suck: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfaEXqkJoQE

Ken Climo is a cheater by your definition...unbelievable. Although I don't throw rollers personally, I have nothing but respect for those that do and more power to them.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Copied over from the other thread. Part 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asvetic View Post
I might have misspoke, and I have no ill respect for the rollers... I'm just not a huge fan. I love watching my disc tear throw the air and floating up and down and then gliding to a beautiful landing. However, if I'm in a spot that I can't toss, I'm not ashamed to roll, it's just not my first choice for a solution.

Course after hearing these arguments for rollers, I might start incorporating it into my game play more.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:24 PM
* Ace Member *

I hope no one minds the cut-and-paste move to a new thread, but I really thought it deserved it's own thread.

I do not throw a roller and this discussion is really interesting to me. On the first post I asked about a video on throwing a roller, but really any write-up would be useful too.

I do think I understand that the seam on the side of the disc should be somewhere in the middle of the edge of a disc to make it a good roller. And I am also guessing that the thicker and heavier the lip(edge) of the disc, the better also. Anyone?
Old 07-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 415
THe only rollers I've thrown are by accident! I don't quite know how to do it and I lean toward the "flying" thought of disc golf...but I can see the strategic aspect of a roller and discs are designed to roll, so it's all fair game...maybe someday I'll take the time to learn.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:10 AM

Courses Played: 5
I can throw rollers forehand or backhand. For me at least I just throw with an over exagerated anhyzer (angle). They seem to be predictable as far as where they will land and start to roll. This is why I don't really ever do them. I guess on a hole where it was really just sloped one way in the right direction it could be good. I just really don't have any courses around me where there are holes like that. They slope multiple directions which for me means I have no idea where it is going to go. I just prefer to throw a higher percentage shot and work it from there.

In a pinch say behind some bushes (vegatation) where I can not really throw backhand or forehand I will throw a roller. I do this with a tomahawk just enough to get over the obsticle and at least make some progress towards the goal. If you do the tomahawk way you have to just angle it enough to where it will turn just right to land on it's side.

As far as what makes a good roller disc I am a little confused. I guess my thinking orginally was like Donovan's, a thicker lip would make a better roller. Doesn't seem to be the case. A putter would seem like the best but they don't roll worth a crap. A coyote will take off on you with a thinner lip. Then you have a kite which will really go and it has driver type lip. Then you do it with a driver and get next to nothing. ???? Maybe I just don't throw them enough to fully understand.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 134
I can say I have never thrown a roller off the tee...but I use it to get out of trouble in low canopy situations or situations where I am just a few feet off of the fairway and my lie makes it difficult to throw traditionally (ie. under a tree) in these cases, knowing how to throw one is quite helpful and I don't feel like a weenie about it...if it shaves a stroke off, I may feel like a winner.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:09 AM

Courses Played: 23
I don't know so much about technique, but I do have a couple discs that pretty much do the work for me when I throw them side arm with a lot of spin. I have an old Raven that has become pretty unstable, and typically goes from a flat release to a roller in under 100 feet.

Unfortunately I can't use my Raven in competition because of the chip on the side. My friend was throwing rollers with it last night, and we think that little chip might be helping the disc "dig in" and accelerate when it hits the ground.

All in all though, an intentional roll seems like a sacrifice to me. It will get you out of a pinch under the pine trees, but you never know where it is going to end up. Sure beats trying an elevator shot and then climbing 30 feet up the pine tree to get your disc back though.