Old 08-22-2011, 08:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.4
Courses Played: 101
Boy Scout designed courses

I have been asked twice in one day (last Friday) to work with a Boy Scout on a Disc Golf course project. In both cases I know the scout's dad through my work and both of the dads were helping their sons find something for their Eagle Scout project.

I agreed to help and in both cases even offered to sponsor one of the holes being that fund raising is a big part for these type projects.

So here's the question...how envolved should I get? My biggest worry is a design that isn't very good but I also don't want to over step or discourage the scout.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:48 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 31
Eagle Scout projects are more about the kid organizing something. It's OK if he doesn't do all the work. In fact, he shouldn't be. It's about delegation and involving the community. Help as much as he needs help. Run things past him so he's still involved in the decision making process but in the end it would be a disservice if he made a course nobody will use because the design 5ux0r3d.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 80
Throwing Style: RHFH
I would definitely be involved. Especially if he's not a disc golfer. A poor design on great space made available would be a shame.

On another note, where will these courses be?
Old 08-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 256
What Zenbot said... most of the project is about the kid organizing the community to help do something. He is supposed to help, but is not supposed to be the expert. He's supposed to learn how to do it right.

I had an eagle scout build a kiosk for one of my hiking trails. The kiosk design called for a lot of rock work. He had a local mason come out and do the brick laying. The eagle scout just brought him the bricks and mixed the mortar.

DSCJNKY
Old 08-22-2011, 09:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.4
Courses Played: 101
@ Sam...one will be in the upstate while the other will be in Northeast GA. The land for the course in GA is secure. The land for the one in the upstate isn't but that land the scout will ask for was discussed for a potential course a year or so ago.

Sorry I can't be more specific...I try to keep things close to the chest until agreements are in writting.

I'm also working on a deal for an 18 pay to play in western NC...but won't let anything on that be known beyond me working on it because I don't want to take any chances.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
Eagle Scout projects are more about the kid organizing something. It's OK if he doesn't do all the work. In fact, he shouldn't be. It's about delegation and involving the community. Help as much as he needs help. Run things past him so he's still involved in the decision making process but in the end it would be a disservice if he made a course nobody will use because the design 5ux0r3d.
This /\. And FWIW, I was a cub/boy scout for many years.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:29 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 73
Another vote for what zenny said. Chimney Rock DGC in Bridgewater, NJ is a Boy Scout project. I'm not going to say it's a crappy course because it definitely has some interesting aspects, but it could have benefited from stronger guidance.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:24 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 10
Another Boy Scout course - Avery Preserve.

The course will be around long after the Boy Scouts come and go, help where you can to make a good one.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 99
Yes, in my experience anything boy scouts do is horrible. Please, make sure this course doesn't bomb.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 40.2
Courses Played: 187
Disc Golf in Support of Scouting Training Module

In short, even if you do the whole design, it's OK. The scout's job is to find/motivate/organize people to do all the things that need to be done, not to DO all the things that need to be done.