Old 08-23-2011, 01:48 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: RHBH
Some Councils can get a little too exteme with requiring the scout to be in charge but generally they don't expect the youth to plan everything. I've seen Eagle projects that built large picnic shelter, or a pretty extensive hiking bridge over a river, or several other structures that any city/county government would expect a Prof Eng certification before granting a building permit.

As an Eagle Scout and Scoutmaster, my recommendation would be to help a lot with the design so it turns out to be a good course, but don't push the youth aside and hand him a design. Eagle projects are supposed to be about the youth learning leadership and coordination.

Besides, let's not give BroD another reason to slam one of the best youth organizations this country has ever seen.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2011, 02:01 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 54
Just to follow-up, in the link the Steve provided it specifically says that it's okay that "an expert provide the design for the course related aspects of the project. The Scout is not supposed to do all the work, but instead to provide leadership." It also goes on to say that even if the Scout wants to do the design, that it should be reviewed by a disc golf course designer to make sure that it complies with all the PDGA design standards.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 11
Send a message via MSN to drickanderson
I'm just going to agree with what others have said here. If you're being asked to aid in the design of the course, then in that context, you are the expert and you should treat the request as such. Go over your plan with the scout, and explain the decisions that you've made so that he understands what is being done and why. If he plays disc golf, he may have some input and you should listen to it. Maybe agree to incorporate one or two of his ideas (or more if they're good), and explain to him why you disagree with the others.

This is a learning process for the scout, and his role is to delegate, manage and oversee the project through completion.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:52 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 30.3
Courses Played: 76
Throwing Style: RHFH
Please provide all guidance necessary for a playable course! :-) Local Boy Scout designs range from really unimpressive to unplayable. Too bad, can tell some effort went into them but didn't know disc golf.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.7
Courses Played: 101
I've played a few scout designed/installed courses. The one in Estherville IA is the one I played most since I used to live there. Each hole is fairly nice but over all the design has issues with several shared fairways and having one tee box in the middle of a different holes fairway.

There is a scout course in Clemson not too far from where I live. Its a real short heavily wooded course that looks as if there was no to little thought on what a fairway is or should be.

Being that both these scouts are sons of clients, I think its a great opportunity.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadjo View Post
I've played a few scout designed/installed courses. The one in Estherville IA is the one I played most since I used to live there. Each hole is fairly nice but over all the design has issues with several shared fairways and having one tee box in the middle of a different holes fairway.
Wow, yeah, some experienced guidance would have been really helpful there.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 111
Throwing Style: LHBH
The new 9-holer in Jackson, WI is an Eagle Scout project. It's not a bad little course, but there were definitely a few relatively minor design modifications that, in my mind, would have made the course much better. I can't claim to know what restrictions the parks dept had, but there seemed to be some lost opportunities and a couple of safety concerns.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4592
Old 08-29-2011, 10:41 AM

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 19
Send a message via AIM to Skin5482 Send a message via Yahoo to Skin5482
Another Eagle Scout disc golf course

Mayfair Park Westchester, IL

Last edited by Skin5482; 08-29-2011 at 10:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-29-2011, 10:49 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 73
Youch.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 144
Send a message via AIM to New013
this is what i took from this thread...

we need to go out and recruit boyscouts to approach their leaders and local governments to build courses...

we also need to make sure that the boyscouts do very little of the course design and more of the manual labor...