Old 11-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to NorthernDisc
I think the globules are from using the intensifier, DO NOT use it, just makes a mess and ruins the dye. My avatar disc pic was done start to finish with iDye poly.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
I've also seen them from undissolved packet that traps a little air/powder, I've never added the intensifier, but messed around with it for painting with poor results. I'd never add it to the dye.

Dig that dye NorthernDisc, it's sweet. All of my Okthrowberfest disc was done with iDye as well, with the exception of a touch of Kelly green for painting.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:13 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDisc View Post
I think the globules are from using the intensifier, DO NOT use it, just makes a mess and ruins the dye. My avatar disc pic was done start to finish with iDye poly.
Just to add some additional comment on this: The dye seems to work fine with the intensifier - for me at least - as far as the color goes. But it makes it _insanely_ messy to work with. For no discernible gain.

So I would second the "DO NOT use it".
Old 11-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntneuron View Post
I've also seen them from undissolved packet that traps a little air/powder, I've never added the intensifier, but messed around with it for painting with poor results. I'd never add it to the dye.

Dig that dye NorthernDisc, it's sweet. All of my Okthrowberfest disc was done with iDye as well, with the exception of a touch of Kelly green for painting.
Thanks man, love Nightmare Princess. Was my pick to win. I just can't seem to get the painting down with iDye, always comes out too light. Guess I just have to tinker a bit more. Did you paint with the iDye as well as the Kelly Green?
Old 11-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
went to my store and they dont carry idye. i did however see a brand named Dylon. just wondering if anyone has had experience with it.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:41 AM
Eagle Member

i get mine from softexpressions.com usually they have it in stock and on sale. Last ones cost me 2.98 apiece. Also make sure you get iDye poly, and Dylon is all wrong.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Thanks NorthernDisc, The only thing I hot dipped was the black on Nightmare Princess, all the other colors were painted on. I haven't been using acetone to paint, just dye/shaving cream. I think I'm going to work on putting together a tutorial for this method. I've been messing around with this on the last few dyes and think I have enough information to put something together to share.

@silverbullet: Dylon doesn't work, the easy way to tell if a dye has a chance to work is if the packaging says it will work on synthetic fibers, if it just lists natural fibers it won't work. iDye was the first one I'd come across that had something for synthetics besides RIT.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:14 AM
Eagle Member

I have been toying with the shaving cream, i'll have to try the painting with it. thanks for the tip
Old 11-15-2011, 09:05 PM

Courses Played: 1
Great Thread
I was wondering if anybody has tried shaving cream as a thickener for dye applied using silk screen method? I know there are some poly friendly inks out there but they tend to lay on top of the disc. So I was wondering if anybody has tried using dye with an agent in the silk screen process

Old 11-16-2011, 09:18 AM
Lefty Activist

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 90
Throwing Style: LHBH
Anyone tried the iDye GREEN? I have the need to use green, but I was hoping to hear if anyone's had success/failure with the iDye green.