Old 11-14-2012, 12:08 AM

idye poly results

Hello, I'm 2 yrs new to disc golf and recently started dying disc. Started with some old rit I found in town with good results in multiple techniques. But colors and supply limited. So here's my results for some idye poly i ordered. first the most surprising Was the color change of the green in different process the green seemed a dark hunter green with hot process but with the cold acetone process the green was a brighter richer color. I am using the color intensifier and have stuck with the acetone because I like tye dyes and the quick color set about 3-5 mins. The colors are very rich and vibrant and seem to mix well for other custom colors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20121113_184044_145.jpg (83.5 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20121113_191338_100.jpg (108.2 KB, 146 views)
Old 11-14-2012, 12:15 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 9
What do you mean by hot process and cold process? Intriguing you used the intensifier because usually it just makes a huge mess. Did you mix the intensifier with acetone ?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmanbailye View Post
What do you mean by hot process and cold process? Intriguing you used the intensifier because usually it just makes a huge mess. Did you mix the intensifier with acetone ?
Hot process = heating dye and floating the disc works best for stickers , specific designs and doesn't destroy hot stamp. But can take 15-30 min for best color.

Cold process = acetone mixture , mix as needed color set time is 3-5 mins detereates stamp but my favorite process for tye dyes and marbling.

I use 99 cent condiment bottles kinda like hair dye bottles about 8oz bottles I use hottest tap water add dye pack and intensifier and shake to get my color concentrate.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:15 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve1977 View Post
I use hottest tap water add dye pack and intensifier and shake to get my color concentrate.
Be really careful with the intensifier, i have run a bunch of tests with it, and it is actually a denaturing product. This means it actually messes with the plastic (or fabric for that matter) to get the dye to react better. if it is too concentrated you will actually be able to feel where the dye was on the disc.

when this occurs it also adds weight, i saw in my worst case a 2.5 gram add. and this odd weight distribution will make the disc less stable. (keep in mind i was using a fairly high ratio for the sake of experimenting)

however Idye green in my opinion is garbage unless you use it in a painting mixture.

good luck
Old 11-14-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelocityDiscs View Post
Be really careful with the intensifier, i have run a bunch of tests with it, and it is actually a denaturing product. This means it actually messes with the plastic (or fabric for that matter) to get the dye to react better. if it is too concentrated you will actually be able to feel where the dye was on the disc.

when this occurs it also adds weight, i saw in my worst case a 2.5 gram add. and this odd weight distribution will make the disc less stable. (keep in mind i was using a fairly high ratio for the sake of experimenting)

however Idye green in my opinion is garbage unless you use it in a painting mixture.

good luck
Thanks for the info, my concentrate goes along ways only using about a table spoon amount to about 2 ounces of acetone .
How well does the dye work without the intensifier?
Old 11-14-2012, 11:56 PM
Birdie Member

It works great. I've used it via dip method, shaving cream, dish soap (painting) and acetone (painting). All work great but have never used intensifier.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmanbailye View Post
It works great. I've used it via dip method, shaving cream, dish soap (painting) and acetone (painting). All work great but have never used intensifier.
What about your green mine had the intensifier and hot made a hunters green but when acetone was added it changed to a lighter brighter green.

P.S. have u tried saranwrap yet for a marbling technique
Old 11-15-2012, 07:03 PM
Birdie Member

I pour two ounces of acetone into a shot glass and sprinkle idye (green) in while stirring. I'll then test the color on a white garbage disc. I will add some yellow sometimes to lighten it up. I also noticed that it takes a bit for the powder to absorb, so I have started painting with a color and when I come back 30 min later to finish up, the same color now appears darker! some of that is probably due to evaporation of the acetone but I usually seal it up I'd I know I'll be walking away for a while.

Yes, I have done saran and grocery bags but that was a long time ago and with RIT , but idye should work the same.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 15
anybody mix these colors?

i'm looking to get a bright pink idye? any guess how to mix it?

Old 12-02-2012, 09:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
i think i dye makes fire red and pink as well. jo anne fabric had it for 3$
id start with those two