Disc Golf Center
Old 09-25-2011, 08:04 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: RHBH
The black is pretty amazing and it will replace my RIT black for now. Pearl gray and red are RIT.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 17
Nice Disc Dan!
Old 09-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 20
Very nice Dan, the disc looks awesome, glad someone else finally got their hands on it.

I've got the full lineup of colors now and am currently working on a disc to use them all on. I recently finished up another disc, but it was orange goldline, so I didn't get much on it other than browns, reds, and purples. Although I did a lot of it with painting on a shaving cream dye mix and it takes pretty well, I had full color set in about 20 minutes. I'll post it up as soon as I get a picture. But I think it's going to work great for marbling.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:29 AM
Lefty Activist

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 88
Throwing Style: LHBH
I just bought a bunch on the 'net, can't wait to test some plastic, hope these colors will be more controllable.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
I just ordered batch after I tried dip dyeing for the first time last night (using Rit).
(Finally bought a hotplate so I could dye away from the kitchen floor and over something less catastrophy inducing.)
Rit is hard to get hold of here in Denmark, and with the formula change ordering it over the net is a gamble.
I am not painting on again if I can help it after trying dip dyeing. Thats how black should look. And if this is better...
Will certainly post my results too.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to NorthernDisc
softexpressions.com is having 10% off sale on iDye Poly, all 8 colors shipped cost me 30 bucks. Been getting lucky at finding old RIT at the Jo-Ann Fabrics in town, but I know it will run out sooner or later.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:55 PM
Birdie Member

First experiment with painting, used a shaving cream base and added color to it, mixed, painted on. This stuff took pretty quick, about 20 minutes, or until the shaving cream was on there. The red on the tip is the red after 1 pass, it's the quality of a dipped color, I was shocked. The rest of it was several passes of reds, browns, yellows and oranges mixed in varying degrees, just kinda whatever I felt like until I got colors I liked. I was also messing around with a heating method for painting which probably helped the dyes set so quick, but I'll give more details on that after I get it a little more dialed in.

As for the colors, I've used all of them so far, the only one I haven't had success with is the Green. I've only been able to get grays and very dark colors, not a true green like RIT's kelly green. I've also noticed that they dyes need to be diluted quite a bit more to control colors. I initially used 4cups of water to the packed of dye, but it's just too concentrated for the darker colors, blue, purple, and brown. I'm going to try diluting the green a bit and see if I can get it to work, otherwise I'll go with mixing blue and yellow and see if I can get a good green that way. Overall, I'm still very impressed with this dye, the quality is top notch and the colors very vibrant.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:58 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntneuron View Post
First experiment with painting, used a shaving cream base and added color to it, mixed, painted on.
When you say color, you are talking about an already mixed component of water and dye powder, I assume?
Old 09-29-2011, 03:00 PM
Birdie Member

Yep, just used an eye dropper to add it to the shaving cream, maybe a little extra water to thin it out, just played with it until I got a color and consistency I liked.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntneuron View Post
Yep, just used an eye dropper to add it to the shaving cream, maybe a little extra water to thin it out, just played with it until I got a color and consistency I liked.
Thanks.

And nice dye btw.