Old 12-20-2011, 11:56 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Another Falling Putt clarification

I was playing with a friend today and he has a new putt style that I believe would technically be considered a falling putt if it were a tourney.

He throws a putt and then stays on one foot (i suppose demonstrating balance) until the disc is stationary inside the basket and then takes his foot from the air and places it beyond his marker walking forward to pick his disc up.

I thought he neded to put his foot down behind his marker and THEN step forward. This I believed would be how to show your balance.

Is his putt legal or a falling putt?
Old 12-21-2011, 12:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 42
You have just opened a can of works that has once been opened here before. I personally don't believe this is a falling putt most of the time, many of the members here do. What we agreed on is that "shows a demonstration of balance" in the PDGA rulebook isn't clear enough to rule either camp black/white correct.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:05 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 572
You'll be seeing the edited video of the putting examples sometime in the next month when the Rules Q&A becomes official. You do not have to put your other foot down to demonstrate balance but you'll have to a wait maybe two beats to show you are balanced while still on one foot and proceed forward without falling over.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 46
Once the disc is settled I can do whatever I want...this is so weird
What if while on my plant foot, and the disc is settled in the basket and I jump off my plant foot (only foot on the ground) past my marker? How specific do the rules need to be?
Old 12-21-2011, 01:54 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 30
Courses Played: 27
This is where intent should come into play. I don't know why they have to make this so difficult in the rules. As long as you held your balance until the putt either landed on the ground or in the chains, who cares if you step forward across your lie?

Tim S.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:58 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 52
^^^^agreed.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:42 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 8
English isn't even my first language, but I can't for the life of me understand why so many people have difficulty grasping the concept of "demonstrating balance". I guess it comes from NFL rules about two feet in or something. Balance have absolutely nothing to do with feet. I can be perfectly balanced with no feet touching the ground, just as easily as a can be falling with both feet, a knee and a hand on the ground.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
Note that there is nothing in the rules about the disc settling in the chains, hitting the ground, or coming to a stop.

The "falling putt" rule is about the player's stance only; what the disc does or doesn't do, or when it does or doesn't do it, has no effect.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:07 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Note that there is nothing in the rules about the disc settling in the chains, hitting the ground, or coming to a stop.

The "falling putt" rule is about the player's stance only; what the disc does or doesn't do, or when it does or doesn't do it, has no effect.
Thank you, so many people seem to have the misconception about waiting until the disc is at rest. The rule says you must demonstrate balance before advancing beyond your lie, so as long as the guy is balanced on that one foot he's fine. If, on the other hand, he's falling forward and just waiting until his disc lands to catch himself it is a falling putt.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 41
in the end, every person that prefers to 'not' put their second foot down behind their marker to show balance should ask themselves one thing:

- is it worth it?

i think if those people seriously ask themselves this question, the majority may come to the conclusion that setting their second foot down behind their marker may be worth avoiding all the hassle.

i know this because i'm one of those people. i prefer to 'not' set my foot down behind my marker to show balance, however, i do it anyway to avoid any kind of problem.