Old 12-17-2011, 11:11 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 817
Throwing Style: RHBH
Whatever makes it fun for you is what you should do. Don't worry about the people calling you bagged, they're probably the ones playing up a division then getting mad when a player actually rate in that division beats them. There's nothing wrong with playing up, but don't let people pressure you into it.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2011, 12:12 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 104
Why do people hesitate on moving up?! I don't understand not wanting to play (Open) against people who are better than you even if you don't win and trying to improve vs beat the pants off a bunch of people who are not all that great anyway but love organized disc golf events.

I would rather get slaughtered by the top pro's than beat any AM's but thats just a personal preference and the desire inside to want to be as good as the pro's-- if I'm not, then playing for fun is fine. "Everyone is a winner" now a days though and some tournies almost feel that way with all the divisions etc and nothing will change unless there was an ALL pro tour.

The USDGC this year showed how F'd the system and ratings are, thankfully that will/should never happen again.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
Why do people hesitate on moving up?! I don't understand not wanting to play (Open) against people who are better than you even if you don't win and trying to improve vs beat the pants off a bunch of people who are not all that great anyway but love organized disc golf events.

I would rather get slaughtered by the top pro's than beat any AM's but thats just a personal preference and the desire inside to want to be as good as the pro's-- if I'm not, then playing for fun is fine. "Everyone is a winner" now a days though and some tournies almost feel that way with all the divisions etc and nothing will change unless there was an ALL pro tour.

The USDGC this year showed how F'd the system and ratings are, thankfully that will/should never happen again.
Try playing open in a tournament in North Carolina.... Your basically playing for 6th or 7th depending on who shows up.... That being said Advanced fields are STACKED aswell.

As for if you should move up or not, its up to you. I hear people get talked into playing up all the time; kinda sucks for them IMO.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:38 PM
FROLF OFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpro View Post
Try playing open in a tournament in North Carolina.... Your basically playing for 6th or 7th depending on who shows up.... That being said Advanced fields are STACKED aswell.

As for if you should move up or not, its up to you. I hear people get talked into playing up all the time; kinda sucks for them IMO.
Why does it suck?! They should feel GOOD about playing with people who are better than them and be able to see what is actually takes to be THAT good if that, is what they are working towards. Yes it could be discouraging but also just part of improving..no? and obviously this would only be for people on the fence or between two divisions not like just anyone should be moving up to get better.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:42 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 817
Quote:

If you're happy playing in a division where you don't have a chance to be competitive, more power to you. Pushing other people up though only serves to confuse and dilute the competition at the various levels.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:51 PM
FROLF OFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
If you're happy playing in a division where you don't have a chance to be competitive, more power to you. Pushing other people up though only serves to confuse and dilute the competition at the various levels.
not saying that-- only if you are a person questioning it then for the better of your game why wouldn't you just move up and try to compete. A person who doesn't have a chance shouldn't be moving anywhere, but they also would probably not be thinking about moving up either so really only speaking to someone who is questioning it. In every sport played the more competitive your teammates and opponents the harder you work and forces you to get better IMO.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Why does it suck?! They should feel GOOD about playing with people who are better than them and be able to see what is actually takes to be THAT good if that, is what they are working towards. Yes it could be discouraging but also just part of improving..no? and obviously this would only be for people on the fence or between two divisions not like just anyone should be moving up to get better.
One person I know gets bad tournament anxiety and doesnt always play well in those kinda situations. He is good enough I Think, but its a head game for him. He should play a few tournaments in Am 2 to get that confidence... ya know? But some people punk him out of it and make him feel bad if he doesnt play up. I personally think its wrong to ride some one for playing down if the need to. But I see what your saying and dont mind playing with the ballers, it really helps me with shot selection.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:04 PM
FROLF OFF!

Quote:
One person I know gets bad tournament anxiety and doesnt always play well in those kinda situations. He is good enough I Think, but its a head game for him. He should play a few tournaments in Am 2 to get that confidence... ya know? But some people punk him out of it and make him feel bad if he doesnt play up. I personally think its wrong to ride some one for playing down if the need to. But I see what your saying and dont mind playing with the ballers, it really helps me with shot selection.
that's understandable and really agree with the shot selection specially the different lines and how to approach the hole risk/reward type thinking.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

They just kill me with hitting all the D*mn putts inside like 50 no joke everything goes in and im like well okkk then.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:17 PM
FROLF OFF!

Quote:
They just kill me with hitting all the D*mn putts inside like 50 no joke everything goes in and im like well okkk then.

and make it look so easy