Disc Golf Store
Old 12-17-2011, 04:09 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 817
Throwing Style: RHBH
I love playing with better players like that, but I prefer to do it in casual or league rounds. In a tournament I enjoy competition that I have a chance to beat if I'm at the top of my game, I get a lot less feedback on my progress when the difference between a bad day and a good day is losing by 20 or 10 strokes.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2011, 04:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
If you are good enough to get lucky and "win" in intermediate then you are good enough to "compete" in advanced. There is a ton of overlap in advanced and intermediate scores. The idea that you have to win multiple times before moving up is a cop out...it's about competing not winning.

move up bagger
Old 12-17-2011, 04:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
I love playing with better players like that, but I prefer to do it in casual or league rounds. In a tournament I enjoy competition that I have a chance to beat if I'm at the top of my game, I get a lot less feedback on my progress when the difference between a bad day and a good day is losing by 20 or 10 strokes.
Exactly, playing up in tourney situations is a no brainer for me. Im gonna play where I am competitive, not just a donor. I play with enough "open" players casually. I also play with some very good players 90% of my rounds. We all know where we stand and I avoid the calling anyone a bagger out side of jest. Except for those damn guys that keep winning in open... They are baggers.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:47 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by optidiscic View Post
If you are good enough to get lucky and "win" in intermediate then you are good enough to "compete" in advanced. There is a ton of overlap in advanced and intermediate scores. The idea that you have to win multiple times before moving up is a cop out...it's about competing not winning.

move up bagger
I completely disagree. Around here it takes 930-950 rated rounds to win intermediate and 975+ rated rounds to win advanced, that's a pretty big difference. When most players play the division their rating dictates you get much better competition than when a bunch of people play up and dilute the higher divisions, leaving a few players in the lower division who belong there beating up on the players playing up there.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 25
I'm in a similar situation, except that I've won multiple times and just got my first pdga win in MA2 about a month ago. So now I'm going to play advanced at monthlies, smaller tournaments, weekly dubs, etc. and play int. at pdga's because I know damn well I'm nowhere near some of the advanced players that travel to my local pdga's and would just get absolutely smoked
Old 12-17-2011, 04:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by disc gopher View Post
I'm in a similar situation, except that I've won multiple times and just got my first pdga win in MA2 about a month ago. So now I'm going to play advanced at monthlies, smaller tournaments, weekly dubs, etc. and play int. at pdga's because I know damn well I'm nowhere near some of the advanced players that travel to my local pdga's and would just get absolutely smoked
so the prevailing logic is you must be good enough to win to move up....following this logic every pro should be good enough to win a pro event. I find this thinking weak. If you are good enough to place I think you are good enough to place then it's time to move up.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 127
The whole logic that playing up so that you play with better players is complete bull. If you use this logic, a lot of people would be playing up. You may be lucky to get one or two good players on your first card. But then guess what? Any round after, you will be paired with people that are just as bad as you are and wont be watching any spectacular golf.

Why not have everyone play in the correct division where you can play with people at the same skill level and actually get paid in one or two tournaments. Its the people moving up when they shouldn't be that causes the whole "problem" of "bagging" and it annoys me that people can't follow some simple guidelines on what division to play.

/rant
Old 12-17-2011, 05:14 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by optidiscic View Post
so the prevailing logic is you must be good enough to win to move up....following this logic every pro should be good enough to win a pro event. I find this thinking weak. If you are good enough to place I think you are good enough to place then it's time to move up.
You're probably right but nonetheless I'm going to take the advice of my local pros and move up after my next pdga win in ma2. These are guys I play with on a semi-regular basis and theyve all advised me against moving up, citing certain weaknesses in my game that would prevent me from being in even the top 3/4 of the division. After playing a round with nate krahn he also said I should play intermediate for a little while longer before moving up.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:23 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmo65 View Post
The whole logic that playing up so that you play with better players is complete bull. If you use this logic, a lot of people would be playing up. You may be lucky to get one or two good players on your first card. But then guess what? Any round after, you will be paired with people that are just as bad as you are and wont be watching any spectacular golf.

Why not have everyone play in the correct division where you can play with people at the same skill level and actually get paid in one or two tournaments. Its the people moving up when they shouldn't be that causes the whole "problem" of "bagging" and it annoys me that people can't follow some simple guidelines on what division to play.

/rant
I agree completely, playing your rating makes for better competition for everyone.

Quote:
You're probably right but nonetheless I'm going to take the advice of my local pros and move up after my next pdga win in ma2. These are guys I play with on a semi-regular basis and theyve all advised me against moving up, citing certain weaknesses in my game that would prevent me from being in even the top 3/4 of the division. After playing a round with nate krahn he also said I should play intermediate for a little while longer before moving up.
It seems that better players who want to help seem to advise improving before moving up and selfish players who want more donators in their division advise moving up to improve...

Old 12-17-2011, 05:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
I don't think theres anything wrong with staying down...Ive actually contemplated moving down (my rating is actually on a downward trend) I think the overall scene is affected worse by players moving up then those who stay down....what bothers me is the player who feels he needs to win a division consistently before moving up. When you get a handful of players who have this philosophy you end up with the same 3-4 guys who could be playing up and one of them always win so none of them ever dominate. This handful of players then think "I'm not winning every tourney yet so I can't move up"

Sounds crazy but it happens.