Old 09-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
ive played some that are cool and others that are dumb (even if they were 300' i wouldnt have liked the hole). problem is the latter is my general experience with those. alot of the huge long holes are wide open and is just Max drive, Max drive, driver approach, putt. no obstacles are skill required besides throwing the disc.
The best 1000'+ i played was Big Creek in Polk City, IA. i think it was 1032'. very challenging yet FAIR fairway. i want to have to craft a line on every hole i play, not just throw throw throw.
Is this the one they call "The Beast"? If it is they must have redesigned it because it is about 800'ish now. I've played there a few times and that hole is well deserving of it's name. Shule along the right, OB left, trees near your landing zone, and up and over a hill the whole way. It makes you earn it.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 28
I've only played one, 1500ft, down a ski hill. It was actually tough because of wind and the green was an island (roads around it, all OB) with several large pine trees.

I've only parred it once, usually blowing one of the drives and having it fade out or worse yet, turnover and blow way off course.

I do play an 800 ft par 4 from time to time. It's open, in a large field, so only a 50ft wide fairway is mowed, with high grasses all around, for most of the fairway. Usually, wind is a factor, too. Two full drives, a long approach, and a putt, if all goes well.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 60
I like them as long as they involve interesting elevation or obstacles. I think courses should feature more 500-1000' holes but I understand there isn't always space.

Hole 1 a Deis Hill is only 978' from the blues but its a good example of making a long and open hole interesting through the use of elevation, OB's and a hazard behind the basket.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 28
I should add the 900 ft hole 18 at Warwick...okay, it's 100 ft short of the title of the thread, but requires well placed shots to set up each next shot. The hole has elevation changes, the main drive is out of a chute, two tree lines, and random trees in between the tree lines guard the entire middle of the hole. It is definately not three big rips and a putt.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 29
what do I do?

hmmm
let me see

3 big rips (assuming I don't go OB)

and then 4 putts...cause I can't get the damn disc in unless I can drop it in
Old 09-07-2011, 06:12 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 191
I played a 1,300 ft. downhill hole at crystal mountain that was a par 3. I never felt so good parring a par 3 then there. It was on the summit course and I did it throwing a buzzz. I have also played the 1,200 ft. hole at Milo McIver, which was a long slow dogleg right and was very difficult. I like long holes if they are justified and challenging. The long open ones that are par 5 kill me.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 123
So it's looking like I've played the more bland 1000+ footers. I would love to play one involving big elevation change, a tunnel shot or a dogleg. The three that I've played were arrow straight, wide open and only slightly rolling (elevation wise). The main challenge for all three was length; with Pinto adding OB and Idlewild the long grass off the fairway.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 123
Pinto Lake's Hole 11
seen from above
Old 09-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 231
Countchunkula - During the KY State Championships, the long grass on the 1000 footer is OB and the island is in play. That always adds to the pucker factor.

For 1000+' holes, I've played a handful of them and most of them have been well designed. They've ranged from golf courses with perfectly manicured grass for rollers to obstacle ridden for shot placement. Like others have said, a lot of places don't have room for them but if they do I'm a fan. Risk-reward is key to their design in my book. Big distance players should have an equal chance of getting burned with a bad lie as shorter throwing players.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 86
Only thing I probably would do different is add more putts, ya I'm that bad!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManU View Post
what do I do?

hmmm
let me see

3 big rips (assuming I don't go OB)

and then 4 putts...cause I can't get the damn disc in unless I can drop it in