Old 09-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 30.2
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
As much as I like Stafford Lake, I think it's the most boring hole of the course. Someone needs to put a water hazard in the middle of it (to throw over), or plant a few more oak trees to force some interesting shots after the tee shot. And you can't even throw a good roller on it due to all the prairie dog mounds/holes in the middle of the fairway...

Tim S.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTERBACK View Post
Is this the one they call "The Beast"? If it is they must have redesigned it because it is about 800'ish now. I've played there a few times and that hole is well deserving of it's name. Shule along the right, OB left, trees near your landing zone, and up and over a hill the whole way. It makes you earn it.
it used to go up that hill then about another 200ft straight back down the other side. past the grove of little trees and into an opening. i think this pin placement was created for Worlds. the short pin was right around 800 if i remember correctly.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:55 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyasteele View Post
As much as I like Stafford Lake, I think it's the most boring hole of the course. Someone needs to put a water hazard in the middle of it (to throw over), or plant a few more oak trees to force some interesting shots after the tee shot. And you can't even throw a good roller on it due to all the prairie dog mounds/holes in the middle of the fairway...

Tim S.
I'd disagree with that Tim. The first shot requires you to gain max distance while not flipping over OB towards the golf course with the prevailing left to right wind. The second shot makes you choose a side on the giant oak tree 700 feet into the hole: make it past the tree and you should be good for a 4. Assuming you've accomplished the first two tasks successfully, you then need an accurate 300ft shot at the pin that has a low ceiling near the basket to get a decent putt and a birdie 4.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:19 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 33
I played a tourney with a 1400' hole. The closest I came to getting a 3 was missing a 40 foot putt. Several pros deuced it during the tourney. Of course, the hole involves a 4-500 foot elevation change. If you've never thrown a disc 1000+ feet (that's far enough that you can no longer see it BTW) go check out some of these mountain courses out West.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:03 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 30.2
Courses Played: 27
Hey Peter,
You're spot on with your assessment of the hole, but notice I'm not saying it's a bad hole, it's just my least favorite of the course. I think it could be improved upon, that's all...

Tim S.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:30 AM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 72
I think the most important thing for any long hole with par over 3 is well defined landing areas. When it's just two drives across a field, that's boring. But when you have to hit a certain point on the fairway to set up that next big throw, that makes a hole interesting and fun. If you can theoretically park it with a 1000' drive, it's not a fun hole.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 41
love them
Old 09-08-2011, 08:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 46
played a 920' hole that had a dog leg and then 20 degress up hill, with a ob pond at the top of the hill in front of the basket...it was legit!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
Agreeing with all previous posts that there are good and bad 1000+ holes, and the good involve elevation and/or other hazards......

What makes the good ones good are trying to hit the sweet spot in landing zones to line up the next shot. And moreover, even for weak arms like mine, the fact that each subsequent "rip" after the drive is always different. You never land in the exact same place, so you're always having to figure out your next shot and execute it. Much more interesting than walking up to a tee, already knowing what disc you're going to use because you use it every time on that hole.

There is something to be said for an occasional hole that allows big arms to really air it out and use that particular skill to gain a stroke or two. Not too many holes like that, but a few.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bholy08 View Post
played a 920' hole that had a dog leg and then 20 degress up hill, with a ob pond at the top of the hill in front of the basket...it was legit!
J.P. Mosley Park outside Atlanta, Hole 9 and distance is actually 945'