Old 09-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 131
Updating an old Course for Superclass

I've been set in charge of fixing up the 2x 9 hole courses at Georgetown College.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1306

Basically the powers that be want people to play them while also addressing the many issues plaguing both courses.

I don't have alot of room to work with and for the most part the "Orange" course located on campus will have to stay close to where it is design wise. Luckly they never installed tee pads so I can move those around.

The "Black" course is located next to the Bengals training facility and the colleges sports complex. I have a little more room to tweak stuff but again not much. More however than the "Orange" course.

So here's what I came up with. Adjust the lengths of the Orange course to Superclass standards and post up signage dictating what discs are allowed. This could be enforced by the school or students or whomever. That's up to them. I figured allowing up to speed 4-5 discs would be good. This should help with some safety issues. Besides there is absolutely no reason to throw drivers on this course due to it's short holes, plus being college kids they probably already have played ultimate so the conversion will be easy. The course itself is mostly used by the local students anyhow.

The Black course would be a normal white level 9 hole course for the students to move up too.

Now I know Chuck Kennedy loves Superclass and has been trying to promote it forever now and hopefully he'll chime in here.

I need to know what the grey zones and par lengths are for super class so that when the time comes I can make the adjustments.

As far as the baskets go they are the pre 2000 Mach III (no-frills). So moving them If I have too will be a pain in the behind since new parts wont fit on them and they are directly cemented into the ground.

Note to future course installers, Opt for the deluxe baskets please. Then you can at least move them if you have too otherwise you'll probably end up buying new baskets down the line.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2011, 04:49 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 591
Throwing Style: RHBH
If you use the Red level standards for golf discs, they work well as Blue level guidelines for Super Class.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.7
Courses Played: 81
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Using an Ultimate disc on a course like this would be a blast.

Midge Erkenbrecker (Cabin Creek owner) is trying to get Winton Woods in Cincinnati changed to a true Frisbee golf course. It wouldn't be hard to do there, all they have to do is change the rules to Frisbee's only.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSmith View Post
.....post up signage dictating what discs are allowed. This could be enforced by the school or students or whomever. That's up to them. I figured allowing up to speed 4-5 discs would be good. This should help with some safety issues.....
LOL!
Old 09-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 164StarValkyrie View Post
LOL!
Please explain
Old 09-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.8
Courses Played: 77
It just seems overly-restrictive to limit types of discs for fun rounds. I can't imagine turning away players (families) just because they don't use the discs you want to use.
Request it - maybe,
Demand it - not good business.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Eagle Member

I admit worded it a bit harsh. Its on the campus so it technically not a public course and they can make whatever rules they want. I would look at it as a rule to encourage the use of slower discs for safety reasons as opposed to turning away those who want to play there.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:24 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 591
It would be interesting to design a sign to display prominently by the first tee that had a 24cm diameter circle and a rectangle with slightly rounded ends 24 cm wide and 2cm tall with the words, "Discs used on this course must either be larger than this circle or taller this rectangle or both."
Old 09-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
It would be interesting to design a sign to display prominently by the first tee that had a 24cm diameter circle and a rectangle with slightly rounded ends 24 cm wide and 2cm tall with the words, "Discs used on this course must either be larger than this circle or taller this rectangle or both."
That or just make a short list of discs that fall into that category and post that on the sign.
I included the non super class discs (speed 1-5) for the reason of not wanting to exclude the regular disc golf players.
Besides theres always the Black course you can play if you want to use regular golf discs.
Options!!!

It's a surprise anyone knows about this course other than the students due to the fact that it's right in the middle of the campus tucked in around the student housing buildings/ chapel and athletics buildings.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSmith View Post
It's a surprise anyone knows about this course other than the students due to the fact that it's right in the middle of the campus tucked in around the student housing buildings/ chapel and athletics buildings.
Psst...there's this little site called www.dgcoursereview.com. It tells us where courses are!