Old 11-06-2011, 07:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHBH
After thoughts....

Belle Isle would be a FABULOUS place to put a course. I've always though it was a great place, but I've never really had anything to do there, so I really don't go that much. Can honestly say a course on the Island would change that - I'd have a viable reason to be there. It would fill a huge void, and would likely bring in any DG'ers from Windsor, because there is no disc golf in Windsor... or anywhere close for that matter.

Most scenic sunset I've ever seen leaving a course, driving back over the bridge: the Detroit River in the foreground with the GM/RenCen & the Ambassador Bridge in semi-silhouette with a huge red sun setting
behind it all.

To the event organizers:
Thanks for your efforts! You did well lining up sponsors, getting the word out and creating enough buzz to fill up 19 x 5 player cards or cards or so, and setting a festive atmosphere. I like the shirts and good move getting Ch 7 News to cover the event. DIdn't see any actual televised coverage or any video I could link up. Hope you raised plenty of money for a course fund.

My biggest beef was with the course itself. Belle Isle could really use a course, but not this course. Poor flow from basket to tee with several long walks in between and the lack of any course map whatsoever is a bad combo.

Baskets tucked tightly next guard trees, or on a tricky slope where rollaways can cost a stroke or two = good. But I'm not a fan of baskets with water or thick brush within 30 ' or so, especially in a windy environment. And when isn't Belle Isle going to be windy?

IMHO, if someone can land their shot within 15 -20 of a basket, they shouldn't lose a disc. Griplock a shot, throw an understable driver int o headwind, throw a wormburner over water (or even just fail to carry the water) lost disc = fair. People need to know their game (i.e. when to lay up vs go big or go home). I'm all for obstacles and challenge, but a shot that lands 20 ft from the basket shouldn't be a lost disc, and there was too much of that on the course today.

If the city of Detroit green lights this (and I really hope they do), get ahold of John Minicucci or Terry Calhoun. A course on Belle Isle will only be a good idea if it's done right. Please be involved, and learn from them.

That being said, you did more than I, and I'll give you an "A" for effort.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 11-06-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 163
Today's Tourney made the the local newscast...

Found the clip from the segment in today's news:
WXYZ Covers Belle Isle Disc Golf Fundraiser
I think you have to look for the Disc Golf clip and click it.
Up in the Air Disc Golf got a plug... sorta.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 11-06-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 83
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 24
Nice job!

Too bad the players couldn't make their putts on camera :P I know, it was windy...
Old 11-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
My biggest beef was with the course itself. Belle Isle could really use a course, but not this course. Poor flow from basket to tee with several long walks in between and the lack of any course map whatsoever is a bad combo.

Baskets tucked tightly next guard trees, or on a tricky slope where rollaways can cost a stroke or two = good. But I'm not a fan of baskets with water or thick brush within 30 ' or so, especially in a windy environment. And when isn't Belle Isle going to be windy?

IMHO, if someone can land their shot within 15 -20 of a basket, they shouldn't lose a disc. Griplock a shot, throw an understable driver int o headwind, throw a wormburner over water (or even just fail to carry the water) lost disc = fair. People need to know their game (i.e. when to lay up vs go big or go home). I'm all for obstacles and challenge, but a shot that lands 20 ft from the basket shouldn't be a lost disc, and there was too much of that on the course today.

If the city of Detroit green lights this (and I really hope they do), get ahold of John Minicucci or Terry Calhoun. A course on Belle Isle will only be a good idea if it's done right. Please be involved, and learn from them.

That being said, you did more than I, and I'll give you an "A" for effort.
You are probably right on your critique of the course. *handclap*

And the organizers area aware of the obvious flow issues. This course was designed quickly to accommodate 19 holes with minimal work and clearing to get it setup.

Don't worry, the permanent course will be much different and much better. We will have a lot more time and resources to optimize the land available.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 25
Got the OK to put a permanent basket on the isle tomorrow. Its a start.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:38 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 26.3
Courses Played: 1146
Throwing Style: LHBH
Send a message via Yahoo to danhyzer
i signed your petition. Good Luck with your project and please let us all know how we can help in the future.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Eagle Member

2nd Annual Belle Isle Tournament, now in the planning stages.........

http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournam...the_Belle_2012
Old 09-07-2012, 11:46 PM

Courses Played: 3
Where is the new permanent basket?

Old 09-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Eagle Member

I was out at the course yesterday and we designed a few holes and figured out the flow for the tournament. It is on completely different land than the tournament last year. This is where the permanent course will go in if it happens. IMO it is perfect for a course and will one day make a great, scenic and challenging course. Frederick Law Olmstead will be proud of us...

Want to announce a work day coming up this Saturday the 15th at the course. It needs a ton of mowing and trimming to get it into shape. We will be out there early on Saturday, so let us know if you can make it.

More info on the course cleanup:
http://www.facebook.com/events/431089890266430/

More info on the tournament:
http://www.facebook.com/events/144405512367589/