Old 05-15-2015, 10:34 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: RHBH
Left and right eye dominance question.

I've been playing for 10+ years now but I'm always learning new things and still asking questions so here's one to think about.

This is one I've been thinking about for a while and since I'm getting back into tournament play soon I've been experimenting with new things.

Ok most of us know that when putting if you are right eye dominate you aim more left of the pole and if you are left eye dominate you aim more right of the pole.

My question comes to drives. Can the same method of putting be incorporated into driving? I've been experimenting a bit and it seems to be working.

Using right eye dominance in this example:

Ok take for instance a straight drive,trees on both sides.So if you miss left or right you are in trouble.You know you have to go straight down the Teepad to get it straight,but sometimes the disc goes right instead of straight.Mentally you was aiming in the middle or to the right just a bit resulting in a clipping of the trees resulting in loss of disc speed and a shorter shot or going way deep in the rough to the right.

As of late I've been experimenting aiming more left instead of straight down the gut or if it's a anyhyzer aiming much more left of my target instead of where I know the disc will turn and on hyzers aiming more right. So far drives have been more accurate and I've been about 80% successful.

What do you guys think? Does left and right eye dominance have a play in drives too? Or am I just overthinking things and my results are just coming from me concentrating a little bit more?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2015, 11:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 19
You should be aiming with your shoulders and body alignment. I know I'm not looking at my target until after the disc is gone and my head comes around. Honestly, you're probably just concentrating more and putting your body in better positions.

Fwiw, I aim center pole when I putt, not left or right. Both eyes on the target.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:24 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
You should be aiming with your shoulders and body alignment. I know I'm not looking at my target until after the disc is gone and my head comes around. Honestly, you're probably just concentrating more and putting your body in better positions.

Fwiw, I aim center pole when I putt, not left or right. Both eyes on the target.
You don't have a dominant eye? You know you can easily test yourself to figure out which eye is dominant...
Old 05-15-2015, 11:26 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post

I probably am just concentrating more,but i'm always concentrating pretty good. So I just threw this out there since I was gaining a ton of accuracy.

I'm basically using my minds eye when I drive and not looking directly at it the whole time. I get a visualization of the surrounding area,sort of a mental picture and I keep that in my head until I release the drive. And yes I do aim with my shoulders and body alignment. It may just be something that works for me,but I think maybe this thought process could be incorporated to some added accuracy of sorts. I've been messing around with it for a bit now and it seems to work pretty well.

I have a unique putting style. I' have more of a Ken Climo Stance so my right eye is looking more at the target than the left when I putt. So the uniqueness is that I close my Left eye when I putt since my right eye is more dominate.That way if I miss right it was because of me flailing my wrist out instead of shaking hands with the basket like you are supposed. Closing my left eye helps me diagnose problems faster on the spot.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:27 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmc View Post
You don't have a dominant eye? You know you can easily test yourself to figure out which eye is dominant...
It is the coolest test too. I wonder if he knows the test?
Old 05-15-2015, 11:37 PM
Par Member

Ok I'll post the test so he can try it.

Place an object on a Table. Maybe a soda can or something like that. Ok next make a circle with your hand so you can look through it with both eyes. Next Close one eye and then close the other. Whichever eye you can see the Soda Can with is your dominate eye.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:52 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 113
Don't be surprised if you don't have a clearly dominant eye.

I shot pistols and rifles competitively for about 15 years, and got used to using only my right eye (right-handed). But when I started shooting shotgun I was trying to keep both eyes open, and was having a good bit of trouble. A couple of shooting instructors tested me and found that I didn't have a clearly dominant eye. Sometimes the tests would indicate left, and other times right. I just did the test again and had the same results.

I've never even considered eye dominance in DG. When putting the only offset I consider is the direction the disc will fade on longer putts.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 19
Im aware of the test. I'm right handed, but left eye dominant, which isn't super common. If it factors into my shots I'm unaware of it. Hence aiming center pole on putts and both eyes are open.

I'm not saying you're wrong on it factoring into your drives. If you believe it, who am I to argue? I don't believe it is a factor for me.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:19 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 12
I'm also right handed and left eye dominant. I also aim up and down the pole with both eyes open. If I started aiming to the left to balance my left eye dominance, I would have a lot more "am side" spit outs. Its how you practice, right? Just up and down the pole and make sure you don't jerk your release at the end.

And the further out I am, the more to the right of the pole I aim, to account for the hyzer finish of the putter. I think you're over thinking the eye dominance. If you think you are consistently missing your hit/target, check to make sure you are in line with everything (shoulders-chest-putter) and that your release is clean. I miss the basket more because something is off on my throw, and not because of where I aim.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:18 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Pick your target, and aim for the smallest part of it.