Old 04-28-2015, 10:20 PM

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Give me some tips.

So I have been playing for about 8 years now and have always been a RHBH thrower. I have never really thrown forehand, or to be honest, knew how to. I mean I know how, but its not very effective for me. When I first started playing I could do it here and there, but as I grew more into RHBH and got better it sorta disappeared from my game and I just learned to anheizer everything when need be. ANYWAYS. I understand the basics of the forehand as far as the grip ( I use the pistol grip ) and form I guess, or maybe that is where I am wrong. My thing is that when I throw a forehand, I get a ton of wobble out of the disc, more so when I try to put power behind the shot. I thought it was maybe that my grip was not tight enough, but even when I tighten it I still get the wobble. Any help, tips, thoughts are appreciated. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2015, 10:29 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 100
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyBeere View Post
So I have been playing for about 8 years now and have always been a RHBH thrower. I have never really thrown forehand, or to be honest, knew how to. I mean I know how, but its not very effective for me. When I first started playing I could do it here and there, but as I grew more into RHBH and got better it sorta disappeared from my game and I just learned to anheizer everything when need be. ANYWAYS. I understand the basics of the forehand as far as the grip ( I use the pistol grip ) and form I guess, or maybe that is where I am wrong. My thing is that when I throw a forehand, I get a ton of wobble out of the disc, more so when I try to put power behind the shot. I thought it was maybe that my grip was not tight enough, but even when I tighten it I still get the wobble. Any help, tips, thoughts are appreciated. Thanks guys.
Wobble usually suggests the disc is too stable for you, at least that is what I seem to remember of my earlier days of forehanding. Someone else please chime in to confirm/deny my assertion.

What discs are your throwing?
Old 04-28-2015, 10:34 PM

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 17
Thanks for the reply. It seems that whatever disc I throw it happens with. From TI Forces, Nukes, even under stable discs and midranges
Old 04-28-2015, 10:37 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 106
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=87909

also

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyBeere View Post
My thing is that when I throw a forehand, I get a ton of wobble out of the disc, more so when I try to put power behind the shot. I thought it was maybe that my grip was not tight enough, but even when I tighten it I still get the wobble. Any help, tips, thoughts are appreciated. Thanks guys.
Your not getting nearly enough spin or snap on the disc. The disc is ejecting at a slower speed then it should relative to your arm speed. Slow down your arm and focus on imparting velocity with your wrist. That should help.

There are other people who are much more qualified to give sidearm advice then I am, but I could at least answer that one.

Quote:
Wobble usually suggests the disc is too stable for you, at least that is what I seem to remember of my earlier days of forehanding. Someone else please chime in to confirm/deny my assertion.
I am denying your assertion
Old 04-28-2015, 10:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 16
steely stop? lmao, dave. good way to wreck your shoulder IMO. you need to follow through clean, like a baseball. AIM provided a much better link, which is mike's tutorial. you may need to stop the follow through sometimes for more of a "flick" type shot instead of a full forehand, but you don't want to drive that way, EVER. the "skipping stones" analogy is a good one.

OP, watch big jerm. he's the example of forehand you want to follow.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

and pbmercil is right. wobble doesn't mean the disc is too stable for you. it means you're just not throwing with clean form. keep everything on an even plan as much as possible without torquing your wrist over.

Last edited by Kodachrome; 04-28-2015 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:56 PM
FROLF OFF!

He isn't talking about the shoulder but the wrist. Pretty sure he couldn't be that old ripping out sidearms with a bad shoulder lol come on man I don't even like innova but that's a good video from him. The verbiage is weird though like most pro or higher level player stuff. Feldberg is one of the few who articulate some of the technique things well on video he just doesn't have much for FH stuff out there. I think a round though where he throws tons of them an tears it up I just couldn't find it.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 16
*shrug* i stopped after i heard steely stop and saw him stopping his shoulder. mah badddd...
Old 04-28-2015, 11:05 PM
FROLF OFF!

it still is a weird way to put it... karate chop probably was better

edit: should have said "palm up never facing the ground" karate chop

Old 04-29-2015, 01:19 PM

Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbmercil View Post
Your not getting nearly enough spin or snap on the disc. The disc is ejecting at a slower speed then it should relative to your arm speed. Slow down your arm and focus on imparting velocity with your wrist. That should help.
I actually figured this out inadvertently the other day. My forehands are also usually wobbly but the other day after a round, I was walking back to my car and just gingerly threw a disc forehand. Not hard or anything. Just a nice smooth motion and follow through. I was surprised how the disc just took off. And no wobble whatsoever.

So I have to agree with the suggestion to just slow down and focus on getting the arm motion down before trying to throw it a significant distance.