Old 06-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: RHBH
Great first tournament experience

Over the weekend I played in my first PDGA sanctioned tournament, and I must say the TDs did an excellent job. There were great sponsors, one of which had a raffle for a ton of stuff (discs, backpacks, a tent).

They also had gift certificates for the top half of each devision. I don't know if that is something every tournament does, but it was a really cool surprise to get that after thinking I wouldn't get anything for my tenth place finish.

I had a great time and I can't wait to play in my next tournament.

I'm just wondering, are all tournaments this sweet or should I not expect as much in my next tournament?
Old 06-29-2009, 01:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 126
Tournies are a blast. Most are run very well but you will come across some that are way better then others. I have a list of tourneys that I go to every year, whether its the course, the TD, the good times, or whatever. You will find those events yourself and you will be hooked!
Old 06-29-2009, 01:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 54
My first tournament was a freaking blast also. I don't think I have ever been that tired in all my life, and sun burned, but it was great
Old 06-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 15
Haven't been to a bad tourney yet.. of course I've only been to 2 so far but plan on going to many more.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:23 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 815
Throwing Style: RHBH
Even the tournament that I played in that wasn't well run was fun to go and compete, but it makes a big difference when you've got a TD who really knows what they're doing. If you're playing a sanctioned event, PDGA guidelines suggest paying out the top 45% of each division, and in my experience that has been pretty typical.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlangton View Post
Haven't been to a bad tourney yet.. of course I've only been to 2 so far but plan on going to many more.
I have only had one bad one, and that was because there was a lot of dew on the ground, and my feet got wet, and it just affect my whole round.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightbiker View Post
I have only had one bad one, and that was because there was a lot of dew on the ground, and my feet got wet, and it just affect my whole round.
My first (and only until next week) tournament experience was like that. Fortunately, I play barefoot a lot, so I just kicked off the shoes and didn't worry about it too much. I loved the experience, and can't wait to be in some others.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:37 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 31
I can't say that they're all that great but I've always had a great time in tournaments. There was only one round that I didn't care for. This one guy kept trying to give us fake scores and when we called him on it he would get mad. I have a hard enough time remember how many shots I've taken let alone the cheater too.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: LHBH
i have to say i hope mine is as good as yours was.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 29
I just played in MY first tournament this past weekend. Took 2nd out of 4 in AM4. The other three guys on the card were all really fun to play with, and not overly competitive. The fact that it was a charity tournament, selling a max of three mulligans for $5 made it a little less intimidating. I managed to save two for the second round, and came back from six strokes out to finish second. The guy in first was a great guy ... but I'm not sure he belonged in AM4 - beat me by 15 strokes, +12 to -3 for two rounds.