Old 06-29-2009, 09:36 PM

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 59
Forehand Inferiority Complex

Alright, I will be honest here. I am a predominantly RHFH player off the tee and for anything involving distance. I would love a reliable backhand but I just don't have it right now.

My question to the DGCR nation is "is there a forehand inferiority complex?" Backhand drives look so beautiful with their full and smooth followthroughs. Forehand throws can be a joy to watch but it seems all the best pros throw mostly backhand. Sometimes I feel when I play with someone or someones for the first time and I step up to the tee with my forehand setup I can hear their thoughts of "oh, he's one of those" even if I proceed to whip their buts.

As semi confident as I am with my game I think I do have an inferiority complex regarding my driving technique. Is it just me? Don't leave me hanging here. Is style a factor or is the score at the end of the day the only thing that matters?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 9
I drive all RHFH and I pretty much destroy most of the people I play with. Never thought twice about it and either should you. As long as you're consistent you'll earn your place.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy
better than those damn overhand guys...
Old 06-29-2009, 09:42 PM

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 59
word
Old 06-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 15
I am a forehand driver also and I find it to be as exhilarating as the backhand drive. I really love to the forehand part of disc golf, and I personally think it's the most intimidating shot out there when thrown correctly.

Check out the reactions to a perfectly placed S turn duece!
Old 06-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
i think people are starting to come around as more people are getting better at it , i can understand why some people look down at it as alot of kids use it but personally i like getting teamed up with you flickers as it gives us an advantage over two righties and decent lefties arent exactly fallening from the sky.

being a former sidearm pitcher i know what your talking about , but in my case i think some of the flack i got might have been fear of getting hit by a wild pitch.

Another cool thing about you guys is you can throw at a lower trajectory than us backhanders which can be very helpful on differing elevation and low ceilings shots

Last edited by Omega SuperSloth; 06-29-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:53 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.3
i think some of the flack i got might have been fear of getting hit by a wild pitch.[/QUOTE]

..fear is good when you're slinging fastballs sidearm!!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
I throw mostly forehand, and I don't give a damn what people say. Many times people will ask me how I do it. I have actually commented on people throwing overhead, especially on long holes. I know it's a great way to make it through a narrow fairway, but it limits your distance. I saw this one kid, built like a linebacker throw an overhead about 250 feet. I told him "if you could flick with your power, that would land next to the basket." He was concerned about the narrow fairway, so I told him to concentrate on snapping his wrist and not using too much arm. Next hole he tried it, and yelled over to me "Dude! It worked!" Another Forehand conversion
Old 06-29-2009, 10:45 PM

Years Playing: 7.4
I think YOU are the only one thinking that.

I primarily throw RHBH, but I began as a RHFH player. I switched because of the stress throwing FH was putting on my arm, not because of any perceived inferiority complex. I can throw BH all day. But if you can sling it and if your number is lower than everyone else's, what could anyone possibly say or think?

Old 06-29-2009, 11:20 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 78
Throwing Style: RHBH
I used to throw RHFH only..but then I started doing putter approach and then midranges backhand...then driving backhand....in my oh so humble opinion...a forehand and a turn over are used for completely different shots....some will say they don't need a FH because they can just turn something over...but those low skip shots are darn near impossible with a turn over.

Now...when I bust out the forehand roller..and it goes 300+ ft down a tight fairway...I get the look of 'Can you do that?....isn't that illegal?...wtf?'...I just smile and walk on.