Old 06-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 9
My name is Rick, I am 28 years old and have been playing for a couple of years now. I have been in the Army for six years and am currently dating a lawyer. I am a non-believer and pretty loose sleeved in almost all aspects of my life. I throw RHFH, and bomb it with FH. I throw primarily Discraft but I really like the Innova Panther and Valkyrie. No aces so far.

Woodpecker
Old 06-30-2009, 08:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 100
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhgonzo View Post
I've heard of dualism, but what does that make you? A quadist? Tetraist?
Actually, as a deist and taoist, dualism is one of the big no nos. I basically believe in a monotheistic creator god that is responsible for everything, even bad stuff. Hence, no heaven or hell, satan, or "good" and "evil". Just an all-knowing omnipotent deity with which my greatest comprehension of is that I'll never comprehend it. It's a cold, unemotional type of believing but it works for me. I go to a Lutheran church b/c they're pretty accepting of open-mindedness and b/c there aint a church of Brother Dave yet.

I like Tetraist though, I'm gonna use that. Sounds like a tiny fish enthusiast.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy
I thought that was someone who played tetris religiously.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
I thought that was someone who played tetris religiously.
I think a lot of us would fall into that category at some point in our lives, then!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Actually, as a deist and taoist, dualism is one of the big no nos. I basically believe in a monotheistic creator god that is responsible for everything, even bad stuff. Hence, no heaven or hell, satan, or "good" and "evil". Just an all-knowing omnipotent deity with which my greatest comprehension of is that I'll never comprehend it. It's a cold, unemotional type of believing but it works for me. I go to a Lutheran church b/c they're pretty accepting of open-mindedness and b/c there aint a church of Brother Dave yet.

I like Tetraist though, I'm gonna use that. Sounds like a tiny fish enthusiast.
The "blind watchmaker" theory or something more aloof?
Old 06-30-2009, 10:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neophyte View Post
The "blind watchmaker" theory or something more aloof?
I think of life as a continuous series of causation, god being the first cause. I don't feel it is right or necessary to ascribe any other qualities to god. Just me I guess.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 92
I'm not the most photogenic guy, but I figured I'd go where no one else has and provide an actual photo of myself (this was August 2008; I haven't cut my hair since, and I now have giant sideburns instead of the chin pubes).

Anyways, the name's Rev. Jason G. Sheppard-Hoffmann. I acquired the "Sheppard" portion of my hyphenated name on 08/08/2008 when I was married to my girlfriend of 6 years; we met on the Internet.

I'm 29 years old and have 2 children (Ashlee, age 10, and Hunter, age 8) from a previous marriage. My wife and I are currently expecting Zoe, due in late October. I've lived in Cleveland, Wisconsin, for 4-1/2 years, and had the opportunity and privilege to co-design and install an 18-hole course. I have had a work-at-home job for the past 3 years as a Medical Transcriptionist, which is cool since I don't like bosses hovering around and am a somewhat quiet and reserved person. It's also a great job because I don't have a set shift; that is, if I decide I want to take a break and go play 18 holes, that's what I do. I'll probably get into school sometime in the near future (having kids at a young age can put a damper on college plans!), though for what I'm not sure...probably something science/medicine related.

I come from a long line of Lutheran ministers (and you can see above that I possess the "reverend" title as well), but I think I'm the first open atheist in my family. It wasn't an overnight change; I began questioning my faith at a young age (preteen), flirted with Buddhism and researched other religions, but eventually went agnostic and finally who I am today. That doesn't keep me from shunning people who have faith or are religious; in fact, most of my closest friends are Christian (all different kinds, including some Biblical literalists/young-earth creationists) and Jewish (predominantly cultural Jews, not actively practicing). I don't criticize anyone for choosing what's right for them, and I definitely step up to defend them from anyone who would. The only time you'll hear me "bash" any beliefs are when people push their beliefs on others (i.e. teaching creationism in public schools, trying to outlaw abortion rights, posting the Ten Commandments in public buildings, letting children die and refusing medical treatment because of faith, Rev. Phelps and his cronies, and so on...). I guess I'm devoting a whole paragraph to this because I'm very passionate about who I am, and I've noticed a tendency from some people (including my family) to pass it off as "a phase."

I've been a vegetarian for almost 10 years. So far my docs give me a clean bill of health (while chatising me for smoking and drinking; I guess I'm just balancing things out for now!). My son recently decided he wanted to be vegetarian as well, no pressure from me! (I'm that kind of parent; be veggie or not, be religious or not, just don't make me a grandpa before I'm 38, 39).

I've played disc golf for over a decade, but I didn't start playing seriously and working on technique until I had "my own" course a few years ago. I've gotten a lot better (and my wife says I'm still getting better, although I see nothing but a plateau), but want most of all just to have fun. Disc golf is the only sport I've ever been decent or better-than-decent at, and trust me, I tried 'em all in grade school and beyond. One can only take so much ridicule from dumbass jocks before giving up on sports altogether until, in the stoner years, discovers disc golf.

I won't even begin to go into music tastes as others have on this thread, 'cause I think I've made this long and boring enough.

It's a pleasure to "meet" all of you, and I'll gladly shoot a round with anyone passing through my area!
Old 06-30-2009, 11:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 41
whats goin on?!? the name's kevin, lived in houston all 23 years of my life but am currently in nacogdoches for school, im a marketing major. i've only been playing since march 08 but ive picked up the sport pretty quickly by playing with advanced players and pro's every now and then...ace count is 1, just got it yesterday ...i listen to all kinds of music from classical to rap, but i absolutly love classic rock, i can thank my dad for that one...my favorite discs currently in my bag are my champ boss(distance w/ wind), champ groove(distance w/out wind), champ valk(roller), esp surge(shorter drives), CE valk(roller that breaks hard right), lightning #2 upshot(only putter i will ever use), and there are more but those are my favorites. other than disc golf, i also play soccer and ping pong pretty well. i drive a trans am so if you are slow stay outta my way lol. i am expecting a baby boy named Kaden in less than 3 weeks so that is going to be a huge part of my life in the near future. I try to stay optimistic no matter what is going on in my life but i cant seem to keep that mentality on the dg course when i start getting frustrated if im beginning to have a rough round...i definatly need to work on that. if you are ever in the nacogdoches area send me a PM and maybe we can squeeze in a round or two!!
Old 06-30-2009, 11:29 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 41
Jumping on the bandwagon here.

The name's Scott Madsen and I'm a San Diego native (3rd generation Californian) and damned proud of it. Been playing disc golf on and off for sometime now but didn't seriously pursue it until a month ago. When I'm not playing disc golf, I can be found in the pool swimming or playing water polo. I'll be competing in the Summer Deaflympics in Taipei, Taiwan as part of the United States Deaf Water Polo team. Water polo has been my passion for the last 10 years and it just seemed natural to do the Deaflympics.

When I'm not DG'ing or playing water polo, I can be found roaming around San Diego. I graduated last year with double bachelor's in both Graphic Design and Digital Media: Multimedia. I got the degrees from Gallaudet University in Washington, D.C. I'm currently a freelancer doing some pro-bono works and am always welcoming new projects to add to my portfolio. (Shameless plug here: www.sallmadsen.com ). I'm also a photographer although that's more of a hobby for myself.

I'm now taking the year off to just have fun and recovering from the college years. Being in a fraternity will do that to you along with being a college athlete. If anybody's in the San Diego area or passing through, just hit me up and we'll shoot a round.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 43
My name is Chris von Drehle (hints the Username) and I am 20 years old. I currently attend North Carolina State University majoring in Business Management. So I have an apartment in Raleigh, North Carolina but live in Hickory, North Carolina. I also have a mountain house up in Blowing Rock, North Carolina and you can find me up there a good bit during the summer hiking/camping and all that stuff. I enjoy photography and working with computers (the software side not the hardware site).

I have a dog named Candy. She is around 1 and a half years old. I adopted her from a foster home when she was around 8 months old. She is a mix that can be best described as a black golden retriever with a husky tail.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vondrehle/

http://chrisandcandy.shutterfly.com/