Disc Golf Store
Old 06-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 17
Question Air Travel Tips or Tricks with your DG Bag

I'm flying Friday and have never taken a disc golf bag on a commercial flight before so I'm wondering who has and what tips or tricks they might offer? Did you carry on, check it? Nightmares stories and good experiences welcomed!
Old 06-30-2009, 12:11 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 815
Throwing Style: RHBH
I've carried my bag on, as well as having loose discs in carry-ons and checked luggage. The worst that ever happened was having to open up the bag to show what they were. I guess the discs show up funny on the x-ray, but once the security people saw what they were there was no issue.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:23 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 31
I guess the only thing you can do is be prepared to explain what they are any why you have so many.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.3
Courses Played: 39
Never traveled with my full bag, but I've taken a small messenger-type bag with a half-dozen discs along. Sometimes in carry-on, more often checked (don't travel with any discs I care that much about, so if I lose them, no big deal). Never had any problems.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 55
I usually carry a couple of discs in my checked luggage - I do have a funny story about the time I took a Bomb along in my carry-on ...
Old 06-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazillion View Post
I usually carry a couple of discs in my checked luggage - I do have a funny story about the time I took a Bomb along in my carry-on ...
Feds are on the way. Locking your doors does nothing. They use angry bees through air vents now.

I would carry them on if it was all my good discs in my good bag. You could fit a bunch of personal stuff in the pockets too. No way I could cope with loosing my whole throwing collection and bag.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 42
Yeah, Carry-on or in the luggage, they are okay. like zenbot said though, be prepared to explain if you have to. Like bazillion probably had to with that Bomb. get it!!!!!! haha . . . . . . . okay so that was an awful joke.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 315
Considering what some airlines are charging anymore to check a piece of luggage, and what a hassle dealing with carry on luggage is, I would carry as few as possible. If there's room, pack them inside of large ziplock bags inside your regular luggage so the TSA inspectors can check them easily.

You can damn near just buy discs where you're going a lot cheaper if they're available. Then ship them home the day before your return flight. I've always carried a flattened shipping box in my suitcase or bought one at my destination to send home souvenirs.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
carry-on with quad straps is convenient...i've carried 20 in my bag and also put my other misc items in there too..no probs in three airports so far (Louisville, KC, Tulsa)...

Old 06-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan P. View Post
Yeah, Carry-on or in the luggage, they are okay. like zenbot said though, be prepared to explain if you have to. Like bazillion probably had to with that Bomb. get it!!!!!! haha . . . . . . . okay so that was an awful joke.
Not so bad, actually ... I had a layover and got to talking with one of the TSA guys. Turns out he plays disc golf, so after talking with him for a WHILE and getting pretty friendly, I said, "You know, I probably shouldn't tell you this but I've got a Bomb in my bag!"

Then I showed him and he told me never NEVER **NEVER** to do that again b/c part of the TSA training is a humor-ectomy.

Now I just leave that one in the car