Old 06-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Is it Fore! or Four!?

I see a bunch of people spell it Four, like the number, but I've always thought you yell Fore! Which is it? And where the hell did Fore come from anyhow...

Here's a joke for y'all about this...

Bob was an awful golfer, but God love him, he tried. Every weekend, he would hit the course hacking away, but his score would always be in triple digits.

One weekend, his wife had an appointment, so she asked him to take his son, Billy along. So Bob gave Billy his scorecard and clubs and away they went. After 18 holes of hacking, missing upshots, putts and bad drives, Bob was ready for a beer in the clubhouse. He turned to his son and asked him "what was my score, son?"

Billy added up the numbers and said "You had a 72, dad."

"72!!!" Bob couldn't believe it, his best score ever, but he didn't feel like he did that well. "You sure about that score?"

"Yeah, you yelled Four! on every hole."
Old 06-30-2009, 12:06 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 31
OK. If you really want me to google that for you.

Fore (golf)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The tough rubber core of a golf ball makes it a hazard to others following a wayward shot, despite its weight not exceeding 45.93g

"Fore!" is shouted as a warning during to a golf game when it appears possible that a golf ball may hit other players or spectators. The mention of the term in an 1881 British Golf Museum indicates that the term was in use at least as early as that period. [1] The term means "look ahead", and it is believed to come from the military "beware before", which was shouted when a battery fired behind friendly troops.[2][3][1]

Other possible origins include the term being derived from the term "fore-caddy", a caddy waiting down range from the golfer to find where the ball lands. These caddies were often warned about oncoming golf balls by a shout "fore!".[3][1] The Colonel Bogey March is based on the descending minor third which the original Colonel Bogey whistled instead of yelling Fore around 1914.[4]

It may have also may have a contraction of the Gaelic cry Faugh a Ballach! (i.e. Clear the way!) which is still associated with the sport of road bowling which has features reminiscent of golf.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:09 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 815
Throwing Style: RHBH
Thanks, it's always bugged me a little that so many people write 'four' when they mean 'fore', hopefully this clears it up a little.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.5
Throwing Style: RHFH
but did you like my joke?
Old 06-30-2009, 12:19 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaDiscHead View Post
but did you like my joke?
I was just so incredibly pissed off at Billy that I couldn't find the humor in it. Billy, you're a stupid stupid kid.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
In DG when you end up needing to yell Fore it usually means you will end up scoring a Four on the hole.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 55
Perhaps one of the deaf DGers on the forum can comment on their work-around?

Sounds is omnidirectional - I'll duck & cover when I hear "fore" even if it's six holes away - but you have to be looking at the guy to see ASL. Or is it just a matter of paying attention? (Ifso, there's a lesson a lot of people can learn!)
Old 06-30-2009, 01:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 55
man, after reading this i have a terrible pain just behind my fourhead...
Old 06-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 39
I always thought fore was from taken form the word foreground. As in ahead of you. Yell fore to warn the people in the foreground. Who knows I just duck when I here it.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Wikipedia ftw

Quote:
"Fore!" is shouted as a warning during to a golf game when it appears possible that a golf ball may hit other players or spectators. The mention of the term in an 1881 British Golf Museum indicates that the term was in use at least as early as that period. [1] The term means "look ahead", and it is believed to come from the military "beware before", which was shouted when a battery fired behind friendly troops.[2][3][1]

Other possible origins include the term being derived from the term "fore-caddy", a caddy waiting down range from the golfer to find where the ball lands. These caddies were often warned about oncoming golf balls by a shout "fore!".[3][1] The Colonel Bogey March is based on the descending minor third which the original Colonel Bogey whistled instead of yelling Fore around 1914.[4]

It may have also may have a contraction of the Gaelic cry Faugh a Ballach! (i.e. Clear the way!) which is still associated with the sport of road bowling which has features reminiscent of golf.