Old 09-23-2011, 12:49 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHBH
who says that because we grow it has to grow toward how ball golf is, why can't we grow yet maintain a loose style. it is a completely different sport so why compare
Old 09-23-2011, 07:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybizz View Post
No one ever explains why getting DG on TV is going to be better. Sure "pro" players will make money and disc manufacturers will grow. Prices on discs go up, courses get crowded, it all gets closer to Golf (ball). The main reason why I stopped playing Golf (ball) to begin with was to get away from expensive greens fees, equipment, etc. Moving in the direction of that sport is not what we should be trying to accomplish.
I assume that for many the desire---which I don't share---is for respectability.

It's the idea that we love disc golf and wish it were more widely accepted by the general public as a major sport. If it were on national TV, the general public would respect what we do just as ball golf (....baseball, soccer, etc.....).

I consider it all hypothetical since I don't believe it will or can happen, but if it did, I don't believe the drawbacks you list would materialize. More players might mean more crowded courses, but maybe just more courses. If anything, equipment costs would drop due to economies of scale.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:05 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Personally, I promote DG on TV to grow public awareness of our game, not to try to somehow make the purses the professionals play for bigger. Public awareness is key to future course development and more fully utilizing the courses we already have, so quite simply the more folks know about the game, the better. While some might want to keep our fringe game a fun little secret, others want to welcome new players, create new courses, and face new challenges.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 168
Video link to front page CBS Better Mornings Atlanta story: http://www.cbsatlanta.com/category/2...bettermornings

They ran the piece 3 times this morning during the newscasts.

All 3 segments they ran had different banter after the piece ran and during one of them that was sorta mentioned how different throwers are as they said muscles didn't matter as much as technique for throwing.

That Keith Jackson guy said some good stuff, but they did mangle a couple of other things I said - they left out the Alpharetta Visitors and Convention Bureau in people responsible for Wills baskets and turned the part about the area adding 12 courses since I moved here into I helped get 12 in the last few years when I only had a hand in 4-5 and 3 directly.

Overall a pretty good story!
Old 10-10-2011, 10:20 AM
*Legalize It*

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 37
^^ yeah looked good, keep up the great work
Old 10-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 78
TV hater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch View Post
I spend my free time playing the game. I am not going to waste it watching it on TV.
Glad that you dont waste your time watching TV.

One question for you: Do you play DG at night? Every night? Well I guess you could watch it then couldnt you? Just sayin...
Old 10-10-2011, 01:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 40
Ive caught a few of the public access shows and was glad to watch them but have a hard time figuring when they are on- its only been by chance.

If there was an on demand channel that showed at least final 9 coverage of all the nt's i would upgrade to more then then current basic station package. While i respect the efforts of the current shows, they seem to be geared to the new or un knowing player.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 83
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Just found this on youtube. i'm guessing it's just on local in the Delmarva area.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 44
Val and Nate Rebuttal to Happy Endings

Im sure some of you have seen this but for those who havent, here ya go. Also since the other thread is locked I'm putting this here

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
Ive caught a few of the public access shows and was glad to watch them but have a hard time figuring when they are on- its only been by chance.

If there was an on demand channel that showed at least final 9 coverage of all the nt's i would upgrade to more then then current basic station package. While i respect the efforts of the current shows, they seem to be geared to the new or un knowing player.
Hi, Craftsman -

If you are on the Brighthouse system in Livonia, try looking at the local sports offerings on your On Demand system, there should be some back episodes of Disc Golf Live there. (My guy in the area has been out of commission medically but I'll bug him and try to get him to drop off the most recent shows. Haven't found a good way to check listings myself so I'm not sure exactly what's available currently.)

On Demand is a great resource, but a tough nut to crack. Big Cable doesn't like to give valuable stuff away, so getting something on a broader listing might be well down the line.

Since the ultimate goal of my show is to build awareness of DG among the general masses, I do try to make sure newbies can get the drift of what's happening, while at the same time including content that established players will find entertaining, enlightening, or helpful. You can find my recent episodes (broken into two parts) on Youtube.

Others out there who live in areas served by community or local access TV, give me a shout if you are interested in bringing DG to TV and helping to grow the game in your area.

Thanks for watching.

Joe