Old 10-13-2011, 11:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 66
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjames1014 View Post
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Just found this on youtube. i'm guessing it's just on local in the Delmarva area.
i've been meaning to post this - thanks! i'm in there with a thumber and two putts! my 3 seconds of glory
Old 10-13-2011, 01:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 40
Thanks joe for your efforts and taking the time to respond.
You should consider coming down to the belle isle fundraiser on nov 6th.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:08 PM

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 22
Disc golf is the best and I do it all the time, but it really seems to me like it would be pretty unappealing to watch on a TV. Just my thoughts...
Old 10-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: LHBH
I found this thread after talking to a fellow disc golfer who is a good friend of mine about this very subject today. The essential question was: Why isn’t disc golf on ESPN? If water skiing and competitive eating and women’s billiards and strongman contests can get on that channel, then shouldn’t disc golf be on there as well? This was essentially the talk my friend and I had. And I have to admit: I find some of the posts in this thread either disheartening or illogical.

Any sport or game or hobby or interest that has gone from non-pro status to pro status (or many products for that matter) has done so not because interest in the sport had reached critical mass but because someone somewhere found a way to make the Masses interested in it. These people found a market where there wasn’t a market before. Just as there was no critical mass need for the iPhone until Steve Jobs and Apple invented it, there wasn’t a big public “lay person” interest in poker until someone figured out a way to make it interesting on tv. There are WAY more disc golf players than strongmen in the world but for some reason people watch it. More people have thrown a Frisbee than water skied but for some reason people watch water skiers. More people go to public parks than go to billiard halls but for some reason people watch the Black Widow (and not just because she's sexy). So, how big of a critical mass does there need to be exactly? What I’m saying is there are more than enough people playing disc golf or who may play disc golf to make it a sport on ESPN. Critical mass for the sport was passed a long time ago.

As for some people not wanting disc golf to be popular, I think this is shortsighted and completely un-informed. For example, pro football going from a novelty of the 50’s to a mainstream sport in the 70’s, finally surpassing baseball as the most popular sport has been great for everyone and not just the players. Colleges, high schools, businesses, manufacturers, food companies, etc. have all benefited from its popularity. And the fans have benefited the most. And this is how it has been in any sport out there. Bowling, billiards, poker, etc., not one person who takes an interest in those sports is ticked that the sports have gone from smoky halls to tv. Fans and players are ecstatic these sports/games are popular. And the everyday person can play just like they always have. In addition, not one of these sports has lost its identity from getting on tv. In fact, tv has only enhanced these sports’ identities. But somehow, we have people on here who say they like disc golf but want to keep it as some kind of niche hobby. As disc golf would become more popular, more courses would pop up. They’d be better taken care of. They’d be even more creative. More disc companies would pop up. More tournies would be created. They’d be even more lessons and trainers available. How isn’t this good for the overall health of the sport?

I guess what I’m trying to say is that this sport, disc golf, isn’t the problem. There are PLENTY of people and players. There is A LOT to be gained for the Ken Climo’s on down to the tree-hitting amateurs if the sport is on tv. And personally, I’m gonna keep playing whether it’s on a major tv channel or not. But I have to believe that the sport has a leadership problem. Why that is, I’m not sure. You’d think since all these other fringe sports got there acts together, disc golf could, too. But, (and this just comes to mind as I type this) when I find out that the most popular tournament is run according to some kind of handicap system, maybe that tells me all I need to know about the leadership. Sports watchers don’t want to watch B-tier and C-tier players—no matter what sport it is.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddy8170 View Post
. But I have to believe that the sport has a leadership problem..
I believe that leadership comes from those making money in the sport. We have yet to see a legit commercial on TV. How about 30 minutes of tourney coverage? It's expensive. Until someone foots the bill it isn't going to happen.

Here is the response I got from ESPN.
Dear Brett,

Thank you for contacting ESPN.

ESPN makes its programming decisions based on a number of factors, including viewership, as reflected by ratings and the interest from advertisers and affiliates, on a nationwide basis.

Weíll be sure to let our programming executives know that our viewers would like to see more Disc golf on our air.

Sincerely,

Tara
ESPN Viewer Response
Old 10-28-2011, 11:34 PM
Birdie Member

Why is DG not on ESPN, and other activities are?

I believe the concept lies less with the sport itself, but rather the audience that may watch it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm on the growth and exposure side of the issue.

And by audience, I again, don't mean the audience, but rather the prospect of whether that watching demographic is appealing to potential sponsors of the programming.

Concept: If the topic is quality of healthcare - stop and think for a bit like a doctor, rather than a patient. If it's improving local economy, stop and think like a small business owner rather than a consumer.

Therefore, if its DG on tv, then think like a material/goods sponsor, and less like a disc golfer. Ball golf thrives on the fundamental basis of its playing group being a highly desirable marketing target. Financial management, luxury products, etc...

Discgolfers have to date been a tough crowd to sell stuff to - or at least we may seem that way to potential advertisers. I'd venture by this principle, that waterskiing and the like are in the programming because they are a better target for advertisers - as represented by their advertisers filling the airtime available to market to people who watch waterskiing. If an ESPN product underperforms in bringing in advertisers, it's likely relegated, reworked, or dropped.

So it may be either that awareness of us as a demographic target has not reached the upper decision makers of products and services, or it has and has been deemed not a good venture yet.

As to leadership lacking, it could be contributing, but it is likely the case that a true breakthrough will likely happen not out of a general awareness of the continued growth of the sport, but most likely out of the actions of a single well-connected and visionary sport promoter.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNcyclone View Post
Disc golf is getting super popular / people love watching it / nobody cares to watch it that doesn't play / its impossible to film disc golf / disc golf is exactly like skateboarding / disc golf is nothing like skateboarding / disc golf has an unsustainable business model / disc golf companies make tons of money / disc golf will break through any minute now / we need to ban smoking and drinking to improve image / we need to keep it underground / disc golf has sold out / people that have been playing under 20 years don't know what they are talking about / people that have been playing over 5 years are stuck in the past / you need to be an ambassador / I am an ambassador / TD's are corrupt and steal money / disc golf will never be bigger than ball golf / ball golf sucks / we just need a nike sponsorship to save us all / no big sponsor will ever show up / yada yada yada

Thread over.
Sorry this was one of the funniest things I have ever seen on this BOARD bar none!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 315
Quote:
As for some people not wanting disc golf to be popular, I think this is shortsighted and completely un-informed. For example, pro football going from a novelty of the 50ís to a mainstream sport in the 70ís, finally surpassing baseball as the most popular sport has been great for everyone and not just the players. Colleges, high schools, businesses, manufacturers, food companies, etc. have all benefited from its popularity. And the fans have benefited the most.
Yep, the fans have so benefited from having to pay for expensive publicly financed stadiums and arenas primarily built so the cigar chompers who run these teams can feed calimari to the tools who buy their luxury boxes.

Seriously, the value of televised pro sports is so overrated. If people weren't gambling on the results on the side (both legally and illegally) I don't think that we'd see the sheer amount of sports on TV that we do. Aside from fans of the winning team, nobody else has interest in a 42-7 football game.

Quote:
And this is how it has been in any sport out there. Bowling, billiards, poker, etc., not one person who takes an interest in those sports is ticked that the sports have gone from smoky halls to tv. Fans and players are ecstatic these sports/games are popular.
Can't speak for billiards as I don't know much about it, but as for the other two you metioned...

Bowling - There were a lot more televised bowling 25 years ago than you see today. ABC had it on in the 70's and 80's every Saturday during non-football season. My parents, both league bowlers at the time, watched it religiously. I knew who Earl Anthony was before I knew about Magic Johnson. Now, it relegated to off hour spots on ESPN even with our 500 channel universe that didn't exist back in the day. Why? Because league bowling has declined sharply in the last 50 years, even as bowling as a recreational activity has grown.

Poker - Would have never taken off if not for the hole card camera, and to be more precise, poker as a whole never really took off, just the no limit version of Texas Hold'em. People really don't care to watch 7 card stud or Omaha, or even limit versions of Hold'em.

Quote:
I guess what Iím trying to say is that this sport, disc golf, isnít the problem. There are PLENTY of people and players.
And hence, there isn't any problem. Most of us who took up this sport got into it to play it, not to sit on our couches, or at some overpriced sports bar, idol worshipping the "stars" of televised disc golf while some D-cup college coed brings us another round of whatever beer is on tap that day. This sport got as far as it did without any of that, and I think it will continue to get along just fine.

Quote:
There is A LOT to be gained for the Ken Climoís on down to the tree-hitting amateurs if the sport is on tv.
What exactly?

Quote:
But, (and this just comes to mind as I type this) when I find out that the most popular tournament is run according to some kind of handicap system, maybe that tells me all I need to know about the leadership. Sports watchers donít want to watch B-tier and C-tier playersóno matter what sport it is.
You need to read the context of those threads a little better. Innova did the USDGC the traditional way in hopes of luring a big corporate cash cow for a decade. It didn't work and they finally caved to the reality that recreational play by everyday joes, and not idol worship of our top players, was what was driving the sales of their products. So they elected to give the joes a chance to play. Can't say I like it as a spectator, but I can't really say that I've liked anything DG related as a spectator. That is the reality for most of us. If it weren't, the traditional version of the USDGC would have been a money maker.

The fact is, we are a participant sport, not a spectator sport. There's nothing wrong with that, so how about we all quit pretending that there is.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
The fact is, we are a participant sport, not a spectator sport. There's nothing wrong with that, so how about we all quit pretending that there is.
^^^this... think softball...

Old 10-29-2011, 08:02 PM

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 5
The fact is, we are a participant sport, not a spectator sport. There's nothing wrong with that, so how about we all quit pretending that there is.[/QUOTE]

QFT

Shawn