Old 07-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 24
DGCR Endorsements? - 2009 PDGA Elections

I just got my 2009 PDGA Elections Ballot and I thought rather than just going through and voting for people randomly and without a clue, I would inquire to DGCR to see who, if anyone, is being endorsed...

Is anyone in particular doing a great job? Anyone need to find another job?

My overall feelings about the PDGA in 2008 are as follows, not sure if you agree:

I feel like the PDGA is finally starting to get rolling but has a long way to go before it's understood by a nationwide audience. The magazine is a step in the right direction. I still think that the rule book needs work. Course standardization is an interesting concept but a long way away. The tour seems to be getting more press but nothing more than a story by the local news occasionally, when a tournament is kicking off. The pdga website is ok - I'd like to see a score/post function that would provide a handicap, stats, etc.

I think lots more needs to be done to get the PDGA on TV. I want to be watching tournaments on cable - even if it's SPIKE.

Lots of grey areas, not going to go into all of them. Overall, I have a gut feeling that things are getting better but the sport of disc golf has a long way to go.

Thanks
Old 07-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 23
I like what direction you want the PDGA to take but in actuality I think it will be a slow changing process however it goes. One of the things I would love to see the PDGA do is get sponsored/endorsed or whatever it is called for some financial backing and promotional money. And I'm not talking about buying a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of candy bars like last time...

As far as voting, I have no idea, sorry.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Birdie Member

I think with higher profile events comes bigger endorsements/prize purses, etc. Get TV coverage then next thing you know you have Gatorade, Nike, etc. money coming in...

anyway, thanks
Old 07-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 84
if you just started playing, it may seem like everything is moving slow, but alot has chnaged in 15 years..to put it in perspective, golf has been around for hundreds of years..disc golf has some catching up to do..it is gonna take big money from big companies to hit espn 8(the ocho)
Old 07-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80playedin10states View Post
if you just started playing, it may seem like everything is moving slow, but alot has chnaged in 15 years..to put it in perspective, golf has been around for hundreds of years..disc golf has some catching up to do..it is gonna take big money from big companies to hit espn 8(the ocho)
lol... My life dream, discin' on The Ocho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milow369 View Post
I think with higher profile events comes bigger endorsements/prize purses, etc. Get TV coverage then next thing you know you have Gatorade, Nike, etc. money coming in...

anyway, thanks
Endorsements...man, I could not think of that word to save my life a minute ago. And I think you're right, higher profile events and/or TV coverage will go will go hand in hand with endorsements, but once one takes off I think the other(s) will get a huge push too. It would be really weird to see Nike involved with disc golf... Gatorade would be very legit though.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Birdie Member

This is the internet age. No excuses.

I will agree with you, The PDGA has a model (ball golf) that has been around for hundreds of years. If they used that as a model, already proven successful, we'd be watching DG on TV in no time.

ESPN2 - C'mon, I think I saw competitive basket weaving on that channel once...

OK, I don't want this thread to get off track as much as I love talking about the shortcomings (sorry - areas of potential improvement) of the PDGA - I think that DGCR should provide a list of folks that they endorse. This site was featured in the latest PDGA publication, it's clearly a constituency.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 126
They do show some stupid crap on ESPN sometimes! Not taking any shots at some of these things but, pool, dart, bowling? Come on thats very boring to me, and I think they dont need 15 episodes of pardon the interuption either. And spike has some stuff of there sometimes that is suspect
Old 07-01-2009, 10:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 126
I got my ballot to but I dont ever vote. I dont know any other the people so..
Old 07-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80playedin10states View Post
Ok 80, great old man of the Disc Golf, since you've been around a while, what names to you recognize on the 2009 ballot and who should I vote for to best get the PDGA moving in the right direction?

I hate voting where I go down the list and randomly pick names - sort of like the way I bet on horses and it usually doesn't work out well.

I guess I would like to see DGCR provide some info about the candidates, or better, take a stand on some candidates. Most likely, I would vote the way that DGCR suggests because I believe that DGCR wants to promote the sport of DG, as it is now, I am in the dark.

Thanks

Old 07-01-2009, 11:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
Unless I misread the candidate statements, 5 candidates for 4 positions, 4 of the candidates are incumbents. The fifth is a top pro. If you're looking for major change in this election, look elsewhere.

There were radicals on the ballot in the previous election, including candidates who called for making disc golf "big time", and/or those with contempt for the PDGA, the board, or the state of disc golf. They were not elected.