Disc Golf Store
Old 07-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
I have seen far more dumb "sports" on ESPN 2 than disc golf. Like competitive yo-yoing lol no offense to the "yo-yo'ers?" but come on, really on national TV but disc golf isn't? This could and needs to change!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2009, 06:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 368
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren1086 View Post
I have seen far more dumb "sports" on ESPN 2 than disc golf. Like competitive yo-yoing lol no offense to the "yo-yo'ers?" but come on, really on national TV but disc golf isn't? This could and needs to change!
Again, you gotta look at the production costs to put out compelling coverage. Granted it is filler material for the network, but yo-yo'ing is very cheap to produce.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 44
I endorse Keith Johnson for Georgia State Coordinator.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren1086 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
Again, you gotta look at the production costs to put out compelling coverage. Granted it is filler material for the network, but yo-yo'ing is very cheap to produce.
Food for thought. In some cases, those bizarre alternative sports you're seeing on the ESPNs are actually, believe it or not...infomercials. The bodies representing those particular sports likely paid for their own video production are paying ESPN to air it.

I don't think the PDGA has that kind of money in their coffers and for what it would cost, I don't think we'd get very good bang for the buck in exposing the laymen to tournament disc golf, especially not until we figure out how to showcase it. Even as a player, I've found some of the PDGA Worlds/USDGC videos from years past to be next to unwatchable.

Besides, I don't think we're doing that bad a job of exposing players to recreational disc golf. Figuring out how get more of those players to see the value of competitive play is a challenge that I'd like to see the PDGA address.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 115
I'm one of those who believes that disc golf will never be a major league sport. No million dollar players, no national TV. Our numbers are behind dozens of other sports, it's not visually interesting, and difficult and expensive to show.

I want disc golf to grow at all levels. Each year, a bigger pro tour and bigger purses, more courses, more tournaments, more non-tournament players, more kids playing. If it all grows each year, who knows where that leads?

My vote is for candidates with not just a single focus, but who are looking at the overall picture.