Old 04-15-2012, 09:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 164
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by disc gopher View Post
a couple courses around me have natural pads...the best ones are usually the simplest ones - large worn in, packed down patches of dirt. (they cannot be in a place where rain runoff will get to them, so keep them in relatively high-ground areas). The worst ones are when they start putting logs and crap framing the outside of the tee. That kind of stuff is just going to make more work for you in the long run, even if it looks nice. just my 2cents, take it as a grain of salt
I will second this. Most of the time, boxed or timbered tees I've seen were filled with something ( gravel, wood chips) and I hate them.

I also hate tees that are elevated a bit, where you can slip off the front or have a significant step down on the follow through, or trip over the front of barrier of the "box." Worn down dirt tees are typically pretty much at the same level as the surrounding ground (or slightly below, but with very smooth transition) so your footwork remains natural and spontaneous on your follow through.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHBH
I still miss our old woodchip tees at LTC (the campus bought rubber mats a few years ago, and despite my insistence that they needed proper framing and leveling to be worthwhile and my offering of installation instructions from a DG magazine, they just basically threw 'em on top of gravel and staked 'em at the corners; they're not in terrible shape, but don't have many years left)...the maintenance crew used to keep them pretty decently stocked with chips, and even supplied ball golf tee markers to help delineate the end of the tee to avoid confusion when they got a little spread out. I'm considering proposing Tim's crusher dust method, and as a technical college I'm sure they could come up with the materials and labor.