Old 07-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 14
Send a message via AIM to Grip N Rip
Disc + Tree =????

I want to hear all the whacky stories I know you all have about wierd interactions with your frisbee and a tree. Here is mine.

I was playing in very windy conditions. Imagine a mini tornado or just consistant 25+ mph gusts. I was playing at Tyler state park which is heavy wooded and has only 5 field holes so the wind wasn't effecting us too badly. On hole 12 I threw into the rough and had only a thumber to get my out. I release the frisbee a little higher then intended and watched as the gusting wind floated my disc up onto a huge tree branch around 70-80 feet up. Now these are atleast 200 year old trees. The branch was thicker than most trees. Also, forget about climbing the first branch was around 60 ft up. The wierd thing about this story is how it was stuck, no leafs caught it no nothing. The tree was swaying back and forth and just happened to sway gentle enough to scoop up my disc and just had it laying flat on its single huge branch. I tried knocking it down but it was too high up. Eventually the wind got bored with me and dropped my disc back to me.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 54
I was playing #15 at Bear Branch in the Woodlands. You locals who know this course will know the tree I am talking about.

I threw my first shot, and I slipped on the (cough , cough) wonderful tee pads out there, and my first shot hit the bushes about 40ft away and bounced back in the fairway. I was so pissed, I just walked up, and chucked my Coyote. It was going straight towards the basket, and then started to fade to the left. Just then , it hit a small tree, about 2 inches wide, and came back and nailed the chains dead center.

It was the coolest shot I had ever made, and I yelled so loud, people came running over from the next hole, asking if I had gotten an ace. I said no, but it was a damn cool looking birdie. Best tree love I had ever had.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 14
Send a message via AIM to Grip N Rip
Tree love is a big part of my game haha. Better to be lucky than good, sometimes.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHBH
My tee shot on #1 at Triangle Park (Baird Creek) in Green Bay went off into the rough...not bad, I figured, we all end up over there, and the woods aren't too thick. After looking and looking (with 3 buddies looking and looking as well), I figured I'd check this huge hollowed-out fallen tree just off the fairway. Sure enough, about 5 feet up inside this tree was my disc, not easily accessible by any normal-sized human arm! It must have slid in there perfectly to not be deflected and stopped early, since the inside diameter of this thing was JUST BARELY wider than my disc; indeed, where it had stopped was where the inside narrowed, so it was pretty lodged in there.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 41
Playing on the #17 Hole at Morley Field, it is a really wooded up hole. The basket was at the pin where it was only 175' from the teepad so I decided to take out the Wolf. I did a slow X-step and let 'er rip, surely enough it went straight to the first tree which was like 10 feet away. I picked it up and it was all taco'd up, I was able to bend it back. The wolf is still my "lucky" approach disc to this day because it has gotten me out of some tough spots.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 51
Last night while playing hole #3 at Johnny Roberts I got some nice tree love. There is a tight mando on this hole with a tree on the right and trees + creek on the left. I had to thread it pretty tight. Well I slipped a little and let go too early and I was sure that I had to go diving in the creek. Then I heard a tree smack, but also heard a loud splash. The splash sounded too soon, but I figured it was mine. NOPE the guy throwing on hole #15 was the creator of that splash. I bounced off of a large tree by the creek and was within a good putting distance. Very happy with that one.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 21
Courses Played: 84
DISC+TREE=ACE!! good ol tree love...i have at lest 5 that i can remember that were gonna be a deuce but slammed chains after glancing off a tree..2 on a hole at bayville(old? 13)..and one at old? 12(birdie putter that looked like a plinko disc on price is right..)
Old 07-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightbiker View Post
I was playing #15 at Bear Branch in the Woodlands. You locals who know this course will know the tree I am talking about.

I threw my first shot, and I slipped on the (cough , cough) wonderful tee pads out there, and my first shot hit the bushes about 40ft away and bounced back in the fairway. I was so pissed, I just walked up, and chucked my Coyote. It was going straight towards the basket, and then started to fade to the left. Just then , it hit a small tree, about 2 inches wide, and came back and nailed the chains dead center.

It was the coolest shot I had ever made, and I yelled so loud, people came running over from the next hole, asking if I had gotten an ace. I said no, but it was a damn cool looking birdie. Best tree love I had ever had.
A couple weeks ago on hole 15 from Long Tees, I barely nicked the edge of the tree about five feet in front on the right and it kicked the disc out a little left and ending up slamming the outside chains and falling out. That would have been some tree love.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:45 PM

Years Playing: 6.7
about two weeks ago i had some tree love that resulted in a re-direct ace.....idlewild #12....hit the tree about 5 ft from the basket and it spit it right in....was shocked and instantly took off running towards it....made an amazing day at idlewild even better.

Last edited by fluffhead; 07-02-2009 at 09:48 PM.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 415
20 years ago a disc + a tree (especially on a dirve) meant a ruined or broken disc...times have REALLY changed