Old 07-03-2009, 01:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Divisions

I have posted this on another forum before but the other thread reminded me of it.

I was wondering what yall thought of the "new" divisions that were created for this year.
Quote:
http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/...ionsGrid_0.pdf

Open 970+
Advanced 935+
Intermediate 900-935
Rec 850-950
Novice 850 and below
For me all it has done is allow players that really should be playing in advanced play in intermediate and win week after week. I for the most part rarely see any recreation or novice (never seen) division except where a rec division might have been used before so in affect all the new system has done is allow 930 rated players to play in Intermediate and crush the field.

What do yall think? I can also post several examples of the "baggers" I'm talking about but would rather not point fingers.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2009, 08:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 115
How can players playing with others with similar ratings be called "baggers"?

Or is in the sub-900 players playing Intermediate, where they don't belong, complaining about the 930-rated players?

The idea is to group players by ability, in narrow enough spreads to allow reasonable competition. It is also to reduce the size of amateur divisions so you don't have huge divisions, and thus huge prizes for the winners, which reduces the incentive of the top Ams from moving to Open.

In these regards, the new system seems to work.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 84
if you play where it suggests, i don't see many problems..the main problem i see is travelling and noticing my "pro" rating is a good advanced player in most places..if you are in int. and someone is 930..why would they crush the field?...its only 4 or so strokes off of a 900 rated player..if so, go down to rec..problem solved...if the same guy is winning week to week, he should be forced to move up...here in ny, tds won't allow someone to do this(unless it is the jump from adv-pro)
Old 07-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80playedin10states View Post
if you play where it suggests, i don't see many problems..the main problem i see is travelling and noticing my "pro" rating is a good advanced player in most places..
I see this too. It's mainly the non-PDGA players that don't want to move up from INT to ADV. They dominate the field and probably would have came in 3rd to 5th in ADV, but they play INT so they can win, time after time. Same goes for ADV who should be playing OPEN/PRO. They go with the division they know they can beat the easiest. I've even seen REC players that should be playing ADV, but are still down in the trenches playing REC. The TD's either don't know they can bump them up to a higher division or don't care to.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80playedin10states View Post
if you play where it suggests, i don't see many problems..the main problem i see is travelling and noticing my "pro" rating is a good advanced player in most places..if you are in int. and someone is 930..why would they crush the field?...its only 4 or so strokes off of a 900 rated player..if so, go down to rec..problem solved...if the same guy is winning week to week, he should be forced to move up...here in ny, tds won't allow someone to do this(unless it is the jump from adv-pro)
The problem is that Novice is regularly not offered yet 20% to 25% of players may fall into this category.

As an 839 rated player I would feel like a A-hole to easily take a win in Novice away from a 790 rated player that just had his best day ever.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 80
So my 896 rating puts me in Rec?? Sounds good to me...... i'm sure all the 1-2 year players wouldnt mind, yea they'd come back any play in another tournament REAL SOON !!!!!!

Mark you're right on target with the travel issue......... somethings fishy with the rating system, IMO.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:56 PM
* Ace Member *

i only played 2 tournaments where Adv Masters and Rec played the same layout............ If i'd played Rec. at April Showers i would've won by 10 strokes, at Fools Fest it would've been a 30 stroke win.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAnhyzer View Post
i only played 2 tournaments where Adv Masters and Rec played the same layout............ If i'd played Rec. at April Showers i would've won by 10 strokes, at Fools Fest it would've been a 30 stroke win.
I played in an Ice bowl where the Rec and Int played the same layout. The first place rec player was better than the first place Int player and the second place Rec player would have been second place in Int.

-Both players both have moved up since then.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 126
Thats usually what happens

Old 07-03-2009, 03:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by blang View Post
-Both players both have moved up since then.
as they should have......... hopefully when they win a couple Intermediate tournies they'll jump up to Adv.