Old 09-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 40.3
Courses Played: 190
Design a hole here.

Keep the discs landing in the picture, please. Don't worry about that building, it's just equipment storage. The part that looks like a former road running up and down is elevated a few feet. Otherwise, it's flat.

No prizes. If you come up with a real good idea, maybe you'll be able to tell all your friends that this hole was your idea.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
The conventional design would be the simple rhbh hyzerto the open field in front of the shed or perhaps even behind it

The course designer in me says put a tee pad to the left side of the photo behind that bunch of evergreens and the basket directly in front of the yellow bar surrounded by the 3 trees....from the tee you should see nothing but evergreen blocking your path.....now go to all the evergreens and cut the bottom few branches off of each one......what you are left with is a hole that forces either an overhand thumber/tomahawk or some kind of roller. Just be sure to allow for the OH and the roller option to be favorable to any skyzer route. I'm a bit of an outside the box designer but thats what I would do. Make people do something or develop a shot they might neglect.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 99
Throwing Style: RHBH

Give it a WWI aesthetic. Raise that road up enough that it makes it a blind hole if you put the basket just behind it. Dig a little trench on each side (if nothing else but to provide dirt) which can you wrap around and maybe make a moat or just use for run off water like a culvert.

Position the tee and basket just so, so that it's a turnover friendly hole only if you have the arm and skill (or FH if you have the arm).

Yeah dude!
Old 09-30-2011, 10:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 7
My take. If you want to make a mando on one of those trees to eliminate the huge hyzer line over that field then that would be a possibility. The tee pad would be angled to sort of discourage it anyways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DesignaHole.jpg (30.8 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by RHINESEL; 09-30-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 108

Simple, but effective.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:40 PM
International Hair Champion

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by 164StarValkyrie View Post

Simple, but effective.
Best design so far without seeing the trees in person.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH

Par-4 (2-throw) hole. Tees shown for each level. Hole should play similarly for each level from their respective tee.

I am assuming the trees shown are around 30-40' high and present some challenge to get through the gaps and to the ideal landing areas around white line. Tees are strategically placed to take away the easy thumber and to force lines that introduce some early trouble to add strokes for errant drives off the tee.

The terrain of the old road comes into play as it is right in the intended landing zone.

For RHBH, the hyzer route (lower route) is easier (once you hit the first gap, but leaves you a much more tricky upshot. An anny drive is harder, but leaves you with a easier upshot.

D is rewarded as pushing past the white line leaves an easier upshot. Heck, for the biggest arms at each level an eagle 2 is possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DesignaHole.jpg (51.0 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by Dave242; 10-01-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:47 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 37.3
Courses Played: 284
Send a message via AIM to DerekTonn Send a message via MSN to DerekTonn Send a message via Yahoo to DerekTonn Send a message via Skype™ to DerekTonn
Hey Steve!

My contribution is attached. Personally, I'd keep the flight path as far away from that (what I assume is a) ball golf fairway as you can. Use the trees to force a low, fast tee shot...particularly using the two trees immediately to the right off the tee to prevent people from doing any RHBH hyzer/spike hyzer. Put the tee where you need to in order to prevent those particular flight path options. Also give people plenty of visibility to see (and be seen) as they are walking to the next tee. Don't make the hole longer just for the sake of being longer either. I think about 275-280 feet is plenty if you use the existing trees and force people to run it low and hot through the fairway.

My $0.02.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DesignaHole.jpg (70.3 KB, 65 views)
Old 10-01-2011, 01:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 366

Similar idea.....but without the quite as much of a fun choice of routes.

Tee is placed so that a direct route is not possible (a mando might be necessary to achieve this). Landing zone brings raised road into play. Push an anny longer and you have an easier approach. Hit the small trees early and good luck with your birdie attempt.

Both of these holes could be really cool roller holes. Logs could be entrenched into the ground in a few places to force more accuracy on rollers and punish errant ones.

Likewise, both these holes would be great candidates for a "sandtrap" idea I have had but never seen implemented: 6' high chainlink fence sections (green plastic coated stuff for aesthetics covered with a local dense vine) placed strategically near the ideal landing zones like they do in golf. Land right behind them and you are forced to alter your shot to a overhand or spike hyzer or be forced to take an indirect route to the basket.

By the picture I am assuming this is a DG course on a golf course, but I am not sure if this is an active golf course or retired one - so these "sandtrap" or log ideas might not be possible to implement.

At only 475' for an ideal route, it is a very short par-4 hole for Blue level. Plus this hole lacks the early trouble of the other hole. For these reasons (and the lack of choices as mentioned earlier) I like my first proposal better. But this could still be a pretty cool hole especially with the "sandtraps"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DesignaHoleB.jpg (48.2 KB, 184 views)

Old 10-01-2011, 01:14 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post

Par-4 (2-throw) hole. Tees shown for each level. Hole should play similarly for each level from their respective tee.

I am assuming the trees shown are around 30-40' high and present some challenge to get through the gaps and to the ideal landing areas around white line. Tees are strategically placed to take away the easy thumber and to force lines that introduce some early trouble to add strokes for errant drives off the tee.

The terrain of the old road comes into play as it is right in the intended landing zone.

For RHBH, the hyzer route (lower route) is easier (once you hit the first gap, but leaves you a much more tricky upshot. An anny drive is harder, but leaves you with a easier upshot.

D is rewarded as pushing past the white line leaves an easier upshot. Heck, for the biggest arms at each level an eagle 2 is possible.
other then possibly moving every tee left (vertically in the picture) and angling the teepads slightly right i like the placements. it would still leave the anny drive very rewarding and not much easier, while the hyzer route (both rhbh by the way) is less difficult but leaves you with a worse approach shot if not done properly. good design though!

EDIT: i take some of that back after posting it, it would make the hyzer route wayy easier, but ill leave it there anyway...just wanted to say

Last edited by GripEnemy; 10-01-2011 at 01:17 AM.