Old 10-07-2011, 01:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
Michigan/Ohio border spring meet, May 2012

This is a feeler for interest in a Toledo area meet in early May of 2012. Courses played would be Ottawa, Parmalee, and Vienna Parks (Toledo and burbs), probably Great Blue Heron (Norwalk), and Carter Park (Bowling Green) if we can fit it in (doubtful). Camping at Maumee Bay State Park.

Would we be interested in playing local leagues, or just doing our own thing? What would you like to see for a player's pack, and about what cost? Any other details I'm missing?

Discuss.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Marketplace Guru

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 245
You should retitle this the Toledo War: Part two...

just sayin'
Old 10-09-2011, 12:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 167
I'd be down.

My 2 cents worth:
for a reg 2 day weekend (not Memorial Day weekend), about all you could fit in comfortably might be:

Fri - 1 round, perhaps glow, but not necessarily.
Sat - 1 morning, 1 round afternoon
Sun - 1 round late morning, perhaps another that afternoon.

You have to allow campers to get their gear packed away, and time to travel back home assuming they have to be at work Mon morning. I'd be willing to camp just to spend quality time with people. Definitely enhances the fun!

Maybe a two round singles tourney for Sat, with a Sunday dubs just for fun, or maybe less substantial prizes. I kind of like the idea of a DGCRS members meet, rather than opening it up to the population at large.

Blue Heron may be a nice course , but its 70+ miles away from Ottawa, even more from Vienna & Parmalee. Heck, Rolling Hills and Hudson Mills are closer.
Carter Park in Bowling Green seems more feasible.

My opinion: less is more. Keep costs down and players packs simple.
Probably less stress to put the event toggether that way, and less to risk going wrong. Give yourself (and everyone else) time to plan this into their calendar in advance (guess that why you started the thread.

I thought the player's pack and cost for the 2011 Ohio meet was a great deal!
My thought would be if you need to make a disc D or DX plastic to keep costs down, make it a putter in a popular mold: Aviar, Challenger, Magnet
Other disc could be a more premium plastic. Stick to classic molds that everyone can use or easily trade: Tee Birds, Valks, Buzzz, XL Stalker

Shirt could be regular cotton tee if the Dri-fit is cost prohibitive.
Long sleeve tees work, too, but Paragon seemed to work well for the Ohio meet and still allowed RTS to have player'sacks for $25.

RTS said there was a 50 disc miniumum, at least 25 per mold, and there had to be a date on the stamp.

How about something along the lines of "Border War - 2012?"

Maybe even work it on the theme of the Toledo War as apdrvya suggests?

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 10-09-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 15
yeah, I think Blue Heron, while reaching my way; is just a bit out of the area of the others. Still think a little west would be a good idea to try to pull some Indiana people in.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by apdrvya View Post
You should retitle this the Toledo War: Part two...

just sayin'
Quote:
During the elections, Ohio officials were harassed by Michigan authorities and the area residents were threatened with arrest if they submitted to Ohio's authority.[27] On April 8, 1835, the Monroe County, Michigan sheriff arrived at the home of Major Benjamin F. Stickney, an Ohio partisan. In the first contact between Michigan partisans and the Stickney family, the sheriff arrested two Ohioans under the Pains and Penalties Act on the basis that the men had voted in the Ohio elections.[28]
lol

Signed: Technohic AKA Josh Stickney.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 76
Throwing Style: RHFH
Send a message via MSN to THE GOV'NA
im down
Old 10-10-2011, 01:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
yeah, I think Blue Heron, while reaching my way; is just a bit out of the area of the others. Still think a little west would be a good idea to try to pull some Indiana people in.
I'd LOVE to do Blue Heron, but there's really nothing else close enough to focus a meet for the area. Findley SP is still being perfected and needs concrete, East Harbor SP will suck even WITH concrete, and Erie Islands Resort in PC is only 9 holes.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I'd be down.

My 2 cents worth:
for a reg 2 day weekend (not Memorial Day weekend), about all you could fit in comfortably might be:

Fri - 1 round, perhaps glow, but not necessarily. 2 rounds at Parmalee. 1 late evening, 1 glow. Its a short course (2 holes over 300') and only takes a doubles foursome about 1 1/2 hours to play.
Sat - 1 morning, 1 round afternoon Singles at Ottawa, finishing order determines pairings for doubles at Vienna
Sun - 1 round late morning, perhaps another that afternoon. Carter Park, BG. It may be a touch farther from MI, but it's right on I-75

You have to allow campers to get their gear packed away, and time to travel back home assuming they have to be at work Mon morning. I'd be willing to camp just to spend quality time with people. Definitely enhances the fun! Camping still at Maumee Bay SP, it's the only decent camping close to the area, AFAIK. Monreo Co. KOA MAY be another choice, but I'm guessing it's more expensive. I have heard rumors of a course on site, however.

Maybe a two round singles tourney for Sat, with a Sunday dubs just for fun, or maybe less substantial prizes. I kind of like the idea of a DGCRS members meet, rather than opening it up to the population at large.

Blue Heron may be a nice course , but its 70+ miles away from Ottawa, even more from Vienna & Parmalee. Heck, Rolling Hills and Hudson Mills are closer.
Carter Park in Bowling Green seems more feasible.

My opinion: less is more. Keep costs down and players packs simple.
Probably less stress to put the event toggether that way, and less to risk going wrong. Give yourself (and everyone else) time to plan this into their calendar in advance (guess that why you started the thread.

I thought the player's pack and cost for the 2011 Ohio meet was a great deal!
My thought would be if you need to make a disc D or DX plastic to keep costs down, make it a putter in a popular mold: Aviar, Challenger, Magnet
Other disc could be a more premium plastic. Stick to classic molds that everyone can use or easily trade: Tee Birds, Valks, Buzzz, XL Stalker

Shirt could be regular cotton tee if the Dri-fit is cost prohibitive.
Long sleeve tees work, too, but Paragon seemed to work well for the Ohio meet and still allowed RTS to have player'sacks for $25. My F-I-L can have dri-fits made for <$10 IIRC

RTS said there was a 50 disc miniumum, at least 25 per mold, and there had to be a date on the stamp.

How about something along the lines of "Border War - 2012?"

Maybe even work it on the theme of the Toledo War as apdrvya suggests?
reply in red
Old 10-10-2011, 06:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvogie View Post
I'd LOVE to do Blue Heron, but there's really nothing else close enough to focus a meet for the area. Findley SP is still being perfected and needs concrete, East Harbor SP will suck even WITH concrete, and Erie Islands Resort in PC is only 9 holes.
Trust me I know. lol

Not saying to have something in that area, I'm just saying Blue Heron seems out of the way of the other courses you have mentioned.

I'm actually not that big of a fan of Blue Heron, personally. Has some nice fun holes; but the layout does not flow well, even with a map.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 167
Schedule looks quite good -I like those choices:
Parmalee would be a great glow course: quick rounds and not a lot of shule.
Ottawa would be good for singles and I'd like a partner (i.e. mutliple Mulligans ) for Vienna.

Never played BG but it seems like a good choice as well.

2 in MI, 2 in OH