Old 10-09-2011, 11:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 54
Can a course be put here? Is there enough room?

Around here there are a few Churches that have 6 holes course, because of the small amount of room, and I may have to do that here. I am wondering if I have enough room, for a small , neighborhood course , on my Church's property.

I would like to approach the Church leaders, but I need more info to back it up, so I need you guys to take a look at this and tell me what you think. If you need more info, I will supply it if I can. Here are the pics with information

Here is the satellite view of the property, the red line is the Church property

Here are the measurements of the property from google earth

Here are a couple of street views. I will try to get out there with my camera next Sunday and get some better pics

Old 10-09-2011, 11:53 PM
<------ your ad here

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 193
Just from a quick glance I think you've got enough room to safely install a 9 hole course, yes.

I have absolutely no experience designing courses, but just eyeballing approximate distances for a short pitch n putt style nine holer I'd say you could fit it in.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 31.3
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHBH
Yes... and No.

As a member of the PDGA Course Designers Group and an designer who has experience with many shorter, rec type courses, the answer is... maybe. Make sure first that the design is safe (no crossing fairways or tee shots bombing onto the tot-lot or into the street). Play the BEST holes that are there, if that is 6, then so be it. If it is 7 or 8 or 9, whatever makes the best course for safety, good holes, good flow, it starts and stops near your parking, restrooms and water. It looks like you should be able to come up with a rasonable layout. Probably going around the property in a counter-clockwise rotation. Good luck and have fun!
Old 10-10-2011, 12:17 AM
* Ace Member *

I was thinking of starting at the one end of the property, and finishing on the other end, and then walking across the parking lot back to hole 1. We have a course around here like that. Just an idea, I don't know. If some of you could lay out some holes , that would be great , Thanks
Old 10-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 108
Without scouting the land.....

Old 10-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 108
I used Bing maps "birds eye" satellite as well as Google maps to come up with this. From what I saw, this would be a pretty decent course.

You could even move that last basket into the trees. I just can't see a line from the satellite.

Last edited by DirtyMittenDG; 10-11-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 8
Cool layout. Hole 3 is neat the way it uses the pocket in the trees and makes you go right instead of left.

I just wanted to draw lines and dots

Old 10-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 87
Is that a creek running around the outside of the property? You could bring that in play if it is on the property. You could have one hole running along side and another with the pin backed up to give a little risk vs reward.after lookoing at it a little closer it looks like you have done that. Good job
Old 10-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 30
As a disc golfer, and a pastor who is putting a course in at the church, I can tell you that I would not like the baskets for 5 and 7 coming towards the building. Yes, most of us that play will avoid hitting the building (most of the time), but for a church course, the desire is that new people will play it...they will hit the building a lot.

Hope you can make it work with them!

Old 10-16-2011, 02:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by agapedad View Post
As a disc golfer, and a pastor who is putting a course in at the church, I can tell you that I would not like the baskets for 5 and 7 coming towards the building. Yes, most of us that play will avoid hitting the building (most of the time), but for a church course, the desire is that new people will play it...they will hit the building a lot.

Hope you can make it work with them!

Yea, I don't think throwing towards the building would work. There are some windows back there. I will try to take some pics in the next few weeks, and we can go from there. I do like the lay out.

How did you sell the idea of the course to the Church congregation ? I need to know how to sell this