Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 186
Tell them Jesus disc golfed.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
You're looking at about 5.5 acres (according to a google maps area calculator I found online). Maybe 9 short holes would fit, but you'd be pushing it. I wouldn't be confident you can install more than 6 holes on this property safely. Be careful, and be willing to accept that a course might not work here.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 72
There is a course I played near Marquette called Silver Creek that tried to squeeze 9 holes in an area really only fit for 5-6. Very unpleasant.

You would definitely be better served to make fewer holes and double up on tees for the sake of vareity.

And definitely make all the holes flowing away from the building. The land is so small that zigging back to hit the next tee is no big deal.

Reason for the congregation to agree:
1. Age inclusive non-contact sport
2. Inexpensive upkeep
3. Courses do not render the land unusable for other functions (when not playing)
4. Attracting young people

Good luck.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:58 AM
Birdie Member

I was thinking about MacDaddy's comment about going in a counter clockwise direction. I do think 6 holes is a noble goal, and I see the counter clockwise rationale, at least in my interpretation. Start at lower right, two "thrower" holes to get to the twelve o clock. Most shots on these two will of course be RHBH hyzers with the flightpath therefore high out over the OB creek. Pin placements would be still "on property" but not by much as I'd keep them as far from the buildings as possible for these ones. Maybe even pick the actual tee areas that force, by tree, the outside hyzer for safety. Safe safe safe.

Follow it up with a shorty, then some stacked technical shots to finish the 6 maybe in the grove near the illustrated blue dot area. As much as possible walk or lead on footpath to the danger area, then throw away from it, whether its fences, streets or parking lots. I think more longitudinally oriented flightpaths on this picture vs horizontals that could put fences or parked cars in play. Of course if a flightpath is along a fence line, it is like a magnet, but it depends on the neighbors I guess.

For most, there would be two good rips, then 4 finesse shots. Then two rips, then 4 finesse shots, cause you'd likely play it twice.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:59 AM
Birdie Member

Oh, and throw the opening event with custom stamped superclass discs, and have a "I've never thrown a frisbee before" division.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 108
9 holes or not even worth it.....just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightbiker View Post
Yea, I don't think throwing towards the building would work. There are some windows back there. I will try to take some pics in the next few weeks, and we can go from there. I do like the lay out....
I'll draw up with some alternate designs and see if you like them. And will make sure to stay away from the building. I just assumed from the satellite view of the structure, that there were no windows over there.

And I still believe you could comfortably fit in 9 holes there. Even if there's a couple tiny holes, it will still legitimize the course to have a traditional 9 as opposed to some random numbered practice course with all long holes.

Last edited by DirtyMittenDG; 10-17-2011 at 02:32 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 54
I would like to have 9-holes if I can. The closest course to this area is 17 miles away, so I am trying to get something in the community, and put disc golf on the map in this area. Most of the people playing this course will be families anyway, so I don't want to make the holes to long, but short and long tees would be nice. Anything you can come up with will help, and I will try to take some pictures next week, after morning services.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Here's a similar revised version of the first one, changed for safety and dual tees. Some of the holes are pretty short but there's much shorter holes already in existence. This type of course is great for kids/families/people first learning the game. And I do think the long tees still give a decent challenge for how short they are.

Hole #1
Am Tee- 140 ft.
Pro Tee- 200 ft.

Hole #2
Am Tee- 190 ft.
Pro Tee- 240 ft.

Hole #3
Am Tee- 200 ft.
Pro Tee- 260 ft.

Hole #4
Am Tee- 100 ft.
Pro Tee- 170 ft.

Hole #5
Am Tee- 125 ft.
Pro Tee- 190 ft.

Hole #6
Am Tee- 90 ft.
Pro Tee- 170 ft.

Hole #7
Am Tee- 120 ft.
Pro Tee- 160 ft.

Hole #8
Am Tee- 130 ft.
Pro Tee- 200 ft.

Hole #9
Am Tee- 140 ft.
Pro Tee- 240 ft.

Midnight, if you have any extra time you should try walking this out and see how it looks. Or try walking out the land with a design that you think could work. Thats really the best way to do it, when you can see it all in person.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Taking another look, the only possible safety issue I see would be wit hole 7's short tee. That could possible be put more straight on line with the long tee, in order to give 6's fairway a little more breathing room. And maybe even move 6's basket a little more towards where it shows 7's short tee, to insure the building has no chance of getting hit.

Last edited by DirtyMittenDG; 10-17-2011 at 08:51 AM.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:48 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 30

Can not seem to get the pic big enough, so here is a link:
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...urse1final.jpg