Old 10-20-2011, 10:01 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
extreme tunnel drive

On my newly re-designed course I put an extremely narrow and long tunnel drive from one
of the gold level tees. Its about 6-7 ft wide and opens up about 120ft down the tunnel.
Is this a fair drive for gold level players?
Sorry no pics right now(I'll get one later).
I'm not gold level but I have made it out (once after unloading my bag 3 times).
I imagine pro level players can throw a stable disc totally straight this far before it fades.
Am I wrong?
The "tunnel" walls are jack pines planted in straight rows, with no underbrush at all,
so if you don't make it out, the disc kicks out in random directions and will land in the
wider open lanes on each side, usually giving you a fair 2nd shot.
Anyone have any examples of other extreme tunnel drives like this?
Old 10-20-2011, 10:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 188
I would confidently throw a forehand roller.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 70
This kind of sounds like hole 7 at Westover Park. At least with that one, there's a wider option to the right.

Personally I don't like holes like this because luck comes into play way too much. As narrow as it is, it doesn't take much of a mistake to get a bad kick. Once you get off that dead straight line, it's a toss-up as to how bad the end result will be. There's potential for a slight miss to be punished severely while a bad griplock may end up in an okay spot depending on how it kicks.

If there's an alternate option, the tunnel shot then becomes a nice risk/reward opportunity. But if that's the only route, I think it's unfair for any level.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
This kind of sounds like hole 7 at Westover Park. At least with that one, there's a wider option to the right.

Personally I don't like holes like this because luck comes into play way too much. As narrow as it is, it doesn't take much of a mistake to get a bad kick. Once you get off that dead straight line, it's a toss-up as to how bad the end result will be. There's potential for a slight miss to be punished severely while a bad griplock may end up in an okay spot depending on how it kicks.

If there's an alternate option, the tunnel shot then becomes a nice risk/reward opportunity. But if that's the only route, I think it's unfair for any level.
This hole has a fairly wide fairway in the 15-20ft range.

I would much rather test my skill on tighter courses than to just go throw on driving ranges.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 103
more like 10' feet wide but 400+ long with OB just past the tree line on the left and mix of rough to the right. Good hole and everyone needs to learn to throw straight

Old 10-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Banned From the Trilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishysell View Post
This hole has a fairly wide fairway in the 15-20ft range.
True. It's more of a "split the wickets" shot than a tunnel. But it's the closest comparison I could think of without thinking too hard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishysell View Post
I would much rather test my skill on tighter courses than to just go throw on driving ranges.
Agreed. I hate wide open holes, they're boring. However, I think the hole described by the OP is a bit unfair in competition. It sounds like more of a get-out-of-trouble type shot rather than a fair tee shot. I think an alternate, safer but longer route would make it a great hole. You have a safe option where you can consistently expect par. Or you have the tight option where a good shot gives you a likely birdie but you risk having to take a bogey or worse if you miss by even a little.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Plastic Counselor

and Brekke park is basically designed through the pines like you are stating. Which is more a beginner course but lots of fun and super technical as you have to hit the lines.. much better than open fields! good luck with your course and from gold level anything is welcome

Old 10-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Plastic Counselor

Quote:
True. It's more of a "split the wickets" shot than a tunnel. But it's the closest comparison I could think of without thinking too hard...

Agreed. I hate wide open holes, they're boring. However, I think the hole described by the OP is a bit unfair in competition. It sounds like more of a get-out-of-trouble type shot rather than a fair tee shot. I think an alternate, safer but longer route would make it a great hole. You have a safe option where you can consistently expect par. Or you have the tight option where a good shot gives you a likely birdie but you risk having to take a bogey or worse if you miss by even a little.
If you get outside the pines he said it is easy upshot... its not BRP #4 where you feel in jail. Good hole IMO specially for a gold level player.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Banned From the Trilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
If you get outside the pines he said it is easy upshot... its not BRP #4 where you feel in jail. Good hole IMO specially for a gold level player.
I guess my reading comprehension is off today...

I reread it, I see that now. I'll retract my previous statements, it could be an interesting hole. I'd love to see pics.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:59 AM
Plastic Counselor

Quote:
I guess my reading comprehension is off today...

I reread it, I see that now. I'll retract my previous statements, it could be an interesting hole. I'd love to see pics.
I agree though that if it is a pine tree jail then really not that fun... Almost need to throw a provisional just to get a decent score depending where your disc can kick off into... We have a few holes like that around here with the woods and brush so thick you would never be able to throw out let alone hardly get your disc!

Even BRP has about 4-5 feet before the ob you an throw a nice forehand or anhyzer if you make it through the trees and park it next to the basket... Options are always good vs feeling like you are being raped by the hole.