Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 100
Best/Favorite Courses

After reading the superlative sharing thread, which is great,I've been thinking about a formula to identify not just the best courses, but also factor in the favorites. This is what I came up with;
Trusted reviewers ratings plus percent favorited for a best-favorite total.
I used TR ratings because they eliminate the local drive-bys and are easy to pull up.
I included temporary courses and extinct courses to see how they all would stack up.

So, here are the results so far;
Flip City 5.4
Flyboy Aviation 5.4
Birds of Paradise 5.3
Black Jack 5.3
Selah Lakeside 5.27
Idlewild 5.24
Maple Hill 5.18
Blue Gill 5.18
Bucksnort 5.18
Highbridge Hills-Blueberry 5.15
Sugaree 5.15
Harmon Hills 5.13
Beaver Ranch 5.13
Gran Canyon 5.11

And yea if you are wondering, I'm bored and snowed in.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Mando; Yesterday at 03:58 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.8
Courses Played: 368
Throwing Style: LHBH
How can anyone's "best" be any different than their "favorite"?

The only valid reason I can think of is sentimentality - fond memories of the course you learned to play on could make a course your favorite even if now you think the course is nothing special in and of itself.
Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 141
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post

The only valid reason I can think of is sentimentality - fond memories of the course you learned to play on could make a course your favorite even if now you think the course is nothing special in and of itself.
For me personally, the gap between "best" and "favorite" is based upon my skill level. I can play something that is way too difficult for me and recognize it as the "best" course I've ever played. However, I'm more likely to pick my "favorite" as a high-quality course where I had the most fun.
Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 78
In my opinion the 2 are not necessarily related. The Woodshed is definitely one of my 3-4 favorite courses but there are huge design flaws in it that make it far from the best course i have ever played.
Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
After reading the superlative sharing thread, which is great,I've been thinking about a formula to identify not just the best courses, but also factor in the favorites. This is what I came up with;
I used TR ratings because they eliminate the local drive-bys and are easy to pull up.
I included temporary courses and extinct courses to see how they all would stack up.

Flip City 5.4
Flyboy Aviation 5.4
Birds of Paradise 5.3
Black Jack 5.3
Selah Lakeside 5.27
Idlewild 5.24
Maple Hill 5.18
Blue Gill 5.18
Bucksnort 5.18
Sugaree 5.15
Harmon Hills 5.13
Beaver Ranch 5.13
Gran Canyon 5.11

Wow, it is funny that you did this because just today as I was browsing courses I noticed that Flip City was no longer listed as number one and I added took a look at the reviews for the new top two courses. While i did that i noticed that some of the higher rated courses do not have nearly as many reviews as others and thought it would be interesting to have a more weighted score to represent a more true rating.

Good call.
Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
Water Works in Kansas City is my favorite course. I only gave it a 4, largely because due to progress in our game its really not at the top of the heap in regards to challenge anymore.
Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHBH
Its nice to see Beaver Ranch on the list, its much better than the currenly better ranked Buckhorn (fun course but not diverse enough to be top 10)

Although in an ideal world Beaver would be ranked best, and buckhorn more peoples favorite...
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM
<------ your ad here

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post

Flip City 5.4
Flyboy Aviation 5.4
Birds of Paradise 5.3
Black Jack 5.3
Selah Lakeside 5.27
Idlewild 5.24
Maple Hill 5.18
Blue Gill 5.18
Bucksnort 5.18
Sugaree 5.15
Harmon Hills 5.13
Beaver Ranch 5.13
Gran Canyon 5.11

Seems like a legit list at first glance.
Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM
<------ your ad here

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclc View Post
For me personally, the gap between "best" and "favorite" is based upon my skill level. I can play something that is way too difficult for me and recognize it as the "best" course I've ever played. However, I'm more likely to pick my "favorite" as a high-quality course where I had the most fun.
^This exactly.

France Park is probably my most favorite course to play...it's pure fun geared for my personal tastes and skill set.

That said, I gave it a 3.5.

West Lake Park is a course I HATED playing. But I gave it a higher rating than my favorite course because objectively that's just how they stack up.

Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.8
Courses Played: 368
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
Water Works in Kansas City is my favorite course. I only gave it a 4, largely because due to progress in our game its really not at the top of the heap in regards to challenge anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
^This exactly.

France Park is probably my most favorite course to play...it's pure fun geared for my personal tastes and skill set.

That said, I gave it a 3.5.

West Lake Park is a course I HATED playing. But I gave it a higher rating than my favorite course because objectively that's just how they stack up.
So, what you guys are saying is that you presume to know the exact/ideal person for whom courses are designed....and that person is not you. Who is this person? How many perfectly designed elementary school courses have you assigned a 4+ rating to? If you want to be consistent with your mindset here, I hope you have taken this into consideration in your ratings.....otherwise you do a disservice to the designers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
In my opinion the 2 are not necessarily related. The Woodshed is definitely one of my 3-4 favorite courses but there are huge design flaws in it that make it far from the best course i have ever played.
This is the only argument that carries some sort of logic: the rating of the technical design of the course. Problem is, most people are not experienced/qualified to do this (you are, John), and unless you have an in-depth conversation with the designer about the constraints put on him/her, you cannot fairly/accurately grade design decisions/implementations.

For these reasons, "Best" has got to be the same as "Favorite" on DGCR. But as you guys point out, unfortunately it isn't.

Last edited by Dave242; Yesterday at 05:37 PM.