Old 06-27-2016, 03:55 PM

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 36
Default Insight on Raleigh, NC Courses???

I was wondering if anyone has any insight as to why Raleigh, NC is so light on DGCs. Does the parks department have something against them? I know there are courses in Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, Apex, etc (and I've played them all), but in Raleigh proper there's just Kentwood, NC State Centennial, and Cedar Hills. This seems incredibly weak when compared to Charlotte or even nearby Rocky Mount. Just curious about this. I'd love to see the city embrace the sport more!

Also - anyone know of any of the city's future plans for additional courses in the city?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2016, 04:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 93

At one point the parks dept did not like disc golf- unsure if that is still the case as that was a number of years ago.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 278
Throwing Style: RHFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKRep View Post
I was wondering if anyone has any insight as to why Raleigh, NC is so light on DGCs. Does the parks department have something against them? I know there are courses in Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, Apex, etc (and I've played them all), but in Raleigh proper there's just Kentwood, NC State Centennial, and Cedar Hills. This seems incredibly weak when compared to Charlotte or even nearby Rocky Mount. Just curious about this. I'd love to see the city embrace the sport more!

Also - anyone know of any of the city's future plans for additional courses in the city?
as far as i can tell, there are not a lot of large existing public parks. Also a ton of growth in housing over the past decade means the new park space is being put in the outskirts of raleigh in the commuter suburbs. A whole bunch of new courses just outside raleigh.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 33.2
Courses Played: 196
Throwing Style: RHBH

I might suggest that cities with a handful of high end courses is pretty rare.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:27 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 39

Where is MTL when you need him.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:23 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 79

I don't know why Raleigh hasn't put a new course in since 1984. I've been requesting new courses every chance I get in P&R surveys and questionnaires. I feel there is still room in a few Raleigh parks for courses, but the chances are dwindling. A few of the newer parks are Nature Preserves or Nature Parks, so Raleigh won't be putting a course in those. Several of the suburb towns have added good courses recently, Apex, Holly Springs and Wendell, to compliment the others in Cary and Zebulon.

But, things should be looking up soon for Raleigh courses. There is a course in the Master Plan for Forest Ridge (on land owned by the Army Corp of Engineers) and the land has been scouted by reps of the Cary Area Disc League. The CADL previously announced they would also be working with Raleigh on a course at March Creek Park. (There's been one on that park's Master Plan for many years.) Plus, CADL announced they would be working with Cary on another course there.

So, hopefully these plans will come through and we'll get new courses in before the 40th anniversary of the last course installed.

GO CADL!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2016, 04:36 PM

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 36

Wow! Great intel, pmay5. This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping to get. I'll keep my fingers crossed on everything CADL is working on!
Old 07-06-2016, 05:06 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 6

There's a Clayton course in the works too, correct?
Old 07-06-2016, 05:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 47

Within reasonable driving distance- buckhorn and rock ridge. Buckhorn is about a half hour outside raleigh- really fun course. The courses inside raleigh are indeed about average, space is definitely limited though. There aren't really any large parks with room to put a course in.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
At one point the parks dept did not like disc golf- unsure if that is still the case as that was a number of years ago.
This is what I have been told over the years.

CADL and others are doing a lot to develop the areas surrounding the city however. Things are generally looking up. Especially south of town