Old 07-12-2016, 11:16 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 119
Throwing Style: RHBH
Default What's your favorite type of course?

I'm a stat addict when it comes to everything, and disc golf is no different. I like to keep a ranked list of my favorite courses (as you can see in my profile). I was thinking about how - by far - my top two favorite courses are Sugaree and Selah-Lakeside. Very different courses in terms of amenities, hole design, etc. You have the country club feel of Selah and the more wilderness, mountainous setting of Sugaree. That's what I love about playing different courses around the country, being able to experience what that region has to offer.

But, it's tough for me to pinpoint a favorite type of course. I love playing courses that are kept in immaculate condition, but if the design is phenomenal (ala Sugaree), I could care less about amenities. Anyone else experience this variety in their favorite courses?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2016, 01:38 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 168

I like courses to be balanced in the types of shots they require/allow for, and I imagine most people on this site would agree. This includes a variety of basket/target settings, like partially protected baskets, elevated baskets, sloped greens, etc.

The two top-ranked courses in my region on Horning's Hideout (Meadow Ridge), and Milo McIver. I recognize these are two great courses, though I'm not sure they are at the top of my favorites list in the region. Milo is a touch too open for me, and I don't throw 400 feet consistently, though I appreciate the opportunity to practice rollers when the grass is mowed. I find Meadow Ridge to be a bit more fun, and it has 2-3 wooded par 4s, but my favorite courses have a few more than that. I also like to have at least two holes I can drive a putter, or really finesse a driver or mid off the tee.

So, my favorite courses in my area are McCormick Park, Bryant Park, Champoeg, and Stub Stewart. I really want to play the redesigned Seatac DGC, I really liked Rollin' Ridge and the re-design at O-Hauser (WI). Amenities are convenient, and they can improve the experience for me if I'm going to spend 2+ rounds at a given course. But Sugaree looks like my kind of course.

There are some tone target wilderness courses that I played once and was really pleased with, but I wouldn't consider adding them to my upper list, because they're too far away from me or because I only like playing tone targets on occasion.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 48

My favorite aspects tend to be use of woods and good use of elevation. Ski Hill courses around Michigan turn out to be beautiful, require a lot of different skills and understanding, and have great use of elevation and wooded areas surrounding. Plus, it never hurts to overlook Lake Michigan.

As long as it isn't a tournament or for cash, I'll play on crap baskets and dirt tees if the layout has more challenge and beautiful scenery.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 33.2
Courses Played: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniger View Post
My favorite aspects tend to be use of woods and good use of elevation. Ski Hill courses around Michigan turn out to be beautiful, require a lot of different skills and understanding, and have great use of elevation and wooded areas surrounding. Plus, it never hurts to overlook Lake Michigan.

As long as it isn't a tournament or for cash, I'll play on crap baskets and dirt tees if the layout has more challenge and beautiful scenery.
Having just got back from "Up North" and having a go at Mt McSauba.....I completely agree. Wooded, physical courses are a true test of my skill.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 112

If I had to pick one type of course to play over and over it would be wooded. But my favorite courses are ones that incorporate all aspects from elevation to length to short technical to open bombs.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:35 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 31

I really don't like open unless it's a short/pitch and putt course. I really love technical, woodsy (3.5/5) and long, but nothing crazy long. I don't throw long but I like something that will challenge me, not frustrate me. Open in moderation is ok.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.2
Courses Played: 123
Throwing Style: LHBH

This is my favorite http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1905

Ashe has it all, open to start, light woods, heavy woods, watter carry, open to tunnel, up hill shots, down hill shots, the tripple mando through the High Country sign, two out of a tunnel - top of the world huge downhill shots.

Yep, of the courses I have played so far, Ashe is my favorite.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:15 PM
Par Member

My favorite courses are ones that don't have thick brush, tall grass or thorns all over the place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2016, 04:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by discallday View Post
I like courses to be balanced in the types of shots they require/allow for, and I imagine most people on this site would agree. This includes a variety of basket/target settings, like partially protected baskets, elevated baskets, sloped greens, etc.
Btw, I made it up to Seatac DGC in May and I had fun. I wish I'd had time to play it twice.

I agree that the variation in shots is important. In addition, I have way more fun if the "short wooded holes" or "open big D holes" or whatever type of holes are scattered throughout instead of all together. That kind of variation while playing is way more fun to me. One of my local courses (Palmetto Bay Village Center) is kind of annoying for this reason. All the "wooded holes" are bunched together, and then there are plenty of wide open holes in a row. Don't get me wrong; I love playing the course, but I have more fun when things are mixed up a bit. I understand that it depends on the land available, but I'm just sayin...

Back to variation of shots allowed/required: I like courses that make me feel like I know which shot in my repertoire I need to throw. I leave, and think, "I've got the perfect shot for that teeshot (or approach or even "get out of trouble" shot) on hole ##, but I didn't quite pull it off today. I want to get back out here and nail it." So too open is not good, cuz it allows way too many options; and the other extreme is when the design doesn't seem to encourage any type of golf shot. I haven't written that many reviews, but in my head I definitely rank courses by how much I want to return and replay.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:47 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: LHBH

Hilly and Wooded.