Old 02-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Lightbulb Let's talk Deer Lakes

I don't think we've had any Deer Lakes-specific threads yet here, so let's hear your comments, suggestions, scorn, and adulation for this site's #6-rated course.

In particular, the 2011 Scholl's Bicycle Centers Pittsburgh Flying Disc Open--an NT event on August 27-28--will include Deer Lakes for the first time, and I'm hoping to help in preparing the course. So, any ideas for the course are welcomed, and good ones stand a decent chance at being implemented...or at least being passed on to the course designer's desk.

Here are current course priorities:
  • Address drainage issues on Hole 3
  • Landscape Holes 8 and 7 to make more interesting (with signs to improve navigation)
  • Move pin 9A to more difficult location to make it Par 5 instead of Par 4.5
  • Move a couple poorly placed pins: 2C, 7C
Also,
  • Get better (updated) pictures on dgcoursereview
  • Rotate pin positions more regularly
Old 02-22-2011, 11:30 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 213
overrated top 10 course.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
overrated top 10 course.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:56 PM

I rated it a 4.5 so I am part of the problem.
but I do think saying it is a top 6 in the US is pushing it.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:05 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
overrated top 10 course.
My list of courses played is pretty limited so I can't really compare Deer Lakes to most other top courses in the country, except to say it's by far the best of the 30 or so I've played. All I know is flexible schedule of a grad student + living in Pittsburgh = one morning every week or two during all months of the year with Deer Lakes park all to myself. And I couldn't be happier.

What's your experience been with Deer Lakes more specifically, prerube? There are certainly plenty of ways to criticize the course...some I've heard that I agree with and others that I disagree with.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:10 AM
Par Member

Deer Lakes Animal Encounters

Here's a list of interesting/semi-interesting animals I've run into at Deer Lakes. Anyone have any good ones to add?

Porcupine (Hole 2)
Box Turtle (Hole 7, 15)
Garter Snake (Hole 10)
Birds: Downy Woodpecker, Blue Heron, Hawks

Oh, and...Deer!!!

Last edited by vslaugh; 02-23-2011 at 12:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 166
Prerube I have played some other top rated courses and I think Deer Lakes stacks up very well against them. The design is fantastic and once some cosmetics, like grass around the new tees and drainage issues are updated I think a case could be made for it being a number 1 contender.

One thing that I think it lacks is some unique personality. Like Flip has the rock cairns and Idlewild with the white stones lining the creek. I think the Pond on 15 might be it but it needs better maintanence along the shore line and a better bridge. Also I am very interested in having the drainage mess on 12 and 16 cleaned up or spruced up. If the water leak continues I like the idea of creating a channel with a small bridge over it.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vslaugh View Post
My list of courses played is pretty limited so I can't really compare Deer Lakes to most other top courses in the country, except to say it's by far the best of the 30 or so I've played. All I know is flexible schedule of a grad student + living in Pittsburgh = one morning every week or two during all months of the year with Deer Lakes park all to myself. And I couldn't be happier.

What's your experience been with Deer Lakes more specifically, prerube? There are certainly plenty of ways to criticize the course...some I've heard that I agree with and others that I disagree with.
you can read my review, I made the mistake of playing it last in a day of 3 courses so I have to get up there and replay it very soon. Also I probably reviewed it 2 years ago, so there are probably improvements.
I have played 105 and I am not sure it is in my top 5, it just was not memorable.
If Parma had dual tees and navigational signage, it would probably beat dear lakes. (I can not think of any other courses near you to compare it to. Quaker's Challenge was more exciting and memorable (not saying it is a better course)

Last edited by prerube; 02-23-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
PreRube what courses are better than Deer Lakes.....I really enjoyed Deer Lakes for it's variety and combo of challenge and fun.....Ive played quite a few courses and to me it stacks up really well against other so called top courses.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:45 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tistoude View Post
Prerube I have played some other top rated courses and I think Deer Lakes stacks up very well against them. The design is fantastic and once some cosmetics, like grass around the new tees and drainage issues are updated I think a case could be made for it being a number 1 contender.

One thing that I think it lacks is some unique personality. Like Flip has the rock cairns and Idlewild with the white stones lining the creek. I think the Pond on 15 might be it but it needs better maintanence along the shore line and a better bridge. Also I am very interested in having the drainage mess on 12 and 16 cleaned up or spruced up. If the water leak continues I like the idea of creating a channel with a small bridge over it.
I'm pretty sure J. Gary said the park or water authority stopped trying to fix the pipes under Hole 16's fairway and finally just cut off the water.