Old 06-10-2013, 09:03 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4owls View Post
I believe there's a course going in next year in Ella Sharp Park in Jackson, MI.
I have heard about this possible new course as well, but I had no info on the time frame for it. Keeping my hopes up for it as it is really close to home and would save me a lot of gas money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrembo View Post
No one has posted about the new Hamburg course yet? The Gultch at Merrill Park West.

Thembo once lived in Whitmore Lake, Ann Arbor, Kalamazoo and New Buffalo (1987-1999). I wish they had all these courses back then that they do now.
The Gultch (at Merrill Park West) has a Grand Opening event scheduled for July 28th from 11 am to 6 pm. Kick of with family event, chalk drawing competition on all the tee pads for the kids. Free lunch and beverages, then a ribbon cutting ceremony around 1 pm. Finally open to play at 2 pm with various side games.

I wish I had a house in Whitmore Lake / Ann Arbor area, so many great courses to choose from with 10 miles.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 167
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenThrower View Post
I have heard about this possible new course as well, but I had no info on the time frame for it. Keeping my hopes up for it as it is really close to home and would save me a lot of gas money.

The Gultch (at Merrill Park West) has a Grand Opening event scheduled for July 28th from 11 am to 6 pm. Kick of with family event, chalk drawing competition on all the tee pads for the kids. Free lunch and beverages, then a ribbon cutting ceremony around 1 pm. Finally open to play at 2 pm with various side games.

I wish I had a house in Whitmore Lake / Ann Arbor area, so many great courses to choose from with 10 miles.
I believe the name of the park is "Manly W. Bennett Memorial Park," from the Hamburg Township Parks & Recreation website:

Quote:
The park land is located along both the east and west sides of Merrill Road. With the exception of the municipal office complex, this land has been designated and developed as the Manly Bennett Memorial Park.
I think it's only about 8 miles or so from the Brighton Rec. Area course, which is getting some more holes installed on the east side, across the lake, closer to Chilson Rd.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:33 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 38
I heard the baskets are going in for the new Deerfield course Wildwood on July 1st. The cement is being poured for the pads this week or next week I believe, 36 pads so shorts and longs just like the original course. Deerfield also has a tournament July 6th and 7th and I think this might be my first tourney. 1 round on both courses!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:50 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I believe the name of the park is "Manly W. Bennett Memorial Park," from the Hamburg Township Parks & Recreation website:

I think it's only about 8 miles or so from the Brighton Rec. Area course, which is getting some more holes installed on the east side, across the lake, closer to Chilson Rd.
I will gladly defer to your knowledge on the actual name, I was simply reposting it from Disc Golf Scene. They just made a "News" flash on the Grand Opening which I noticed today.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by B3NDER View Post
Independence Lake was simply an amazing course!
Can't wait to see that review..

The course designer group had a chance to meet with the park on hole #16 yesterday (Sunday). The basket will be moving. To the top of the hill. Soon to be signature hole. The short tee will be an uphill shot with a visible flag showing basket location. Green falls away on all sides of the basket (about 50 ft downhill on all sides), so you have to play up to the plateau, then make a really tough putt with the slope starting about 10 ft. behind the basket. From the long tee you have to play a long anny (RHBH) that flattens out and hopefully rests on the plateau. Too much anny and you are down the hill with a really difficult approach. If it hyzers out then you are down the hill on the other side with an equally difficult approach. Our foursome threw the hole about 5 times each and out of those 20 drives only two were in a good position. #16 from longs could yield 2s, 3s, 4s and more.. Can't wait to see the score spread from the upcoming tournament this weekend.

http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/Loco_Ocho_2013
Old 06-10-2013, 12:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenThrower View Post
I will gladly defer to your knowledge on the actual name, I was simply reposting it from Disc Golf Scene. They just made a "News" flash on the Grand Opening which I noticed today.
I have no real knowledge of Hamburg, MI (it's a bit out of my way), but I couldn't find any listing for "Merrill Park West" or "Merrill Park" for that matter. Just sharing what I found on the Hamburg Parks and Rec website. Manly Bennet seems to fit the description...
Old 06-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshrevo View Post
We also discussed that the New course in Holland is scheduled to be open June 27th. I am looking forward to having two more courses near me to go explore.

The new course in Holland is NOT scheduled to open on June 27, the park is being dedicated/opened June 27. Hopefully the disc golf course will be open early July.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:26 PM
* Ace Member *

The Gultch in Hamburg MI: NO BASKETS YET (tees have been poured). A3 Disc Golf club has workdays scheduled this weekend Jun 22-23. Please bring gloves and help out if you can.

Course should open in July.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:56 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 108
Hey thanks for all the comments guys. Good for the local scene to be up on these new courses, that way we can help develop them before they made and do our part. #community

Old 06-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 38
Old Farm Park

There is a Doubles Tournament Fund raiser being Held Saturday July 13th at Old Farm Park in Kentwood Michigan. The Money is being raised to install Concrete pads in the park. As of right now they have company sponsors for 9 of the pads. It is only a one round best shot doubles tournament. There is a big reason for it only being one round. That is the parking issue there is very limited parking at this location. So each division will be going off about every hour to help eliviate the problem.

the tournament page is located here. http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournam...undraiser_2013

it would be really great to have concrete pads instead of all the roots to worry about tripping over.