Old 10-24-2011, 09:46 AM
*Reform School Scholar*

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: LHBH
^go play in kentucky. Bowling green has lots of holes you would like. dont understand the rational here. u have big d and feel it is unfair if you cant unleash the beast because you are required to place your drive to get a shot at the basket? have you played any courses in the US? Charlotte for example.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:12 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.1
Courses Played: 569
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Smigles - Make it very hard, make it almost impossible, but I want a line at the basket on anything under 500 feet.
You may want that but disc golf is about more than just power which is already overly rewarded in this sport on most holes except short, downhill par 3s. The event that rewards throwing longer is called Distance in the Overalls competition, not Disc Golf.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 39.9
Courses Played: 183
To add a little: one fundamental reason that the widest Scoring Spread on open holes will be for holes that average around x.7 is that score distributions are asymmetrical upward (there are more 2-over, than 2-under, for example). Thus, the mode tends to be about 0.2 - 0.4 less than the mean.

Having the two most common scores split 50/50 makes for a wide Scoring Spread, but on such a hole the asymmetry of the other scores results in an average score of about x.7.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 114
Suddenly I feel like I can't go out to play disc golf because I have to stay after school for math tutoring.

Good point, nevertheless. I notice that holes with a lot of O.B. skew the averages significantly.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.3
Courses Played: 113
Many of you are applying the term "tweener" to concepts other than the most common usage. I mean, it's just a word, so I guess you can use it however you want. But for the most common usage, see below.

A tweener is a hole is a hole that is somewhere between a 1-shot and 2-shot hole; or, less commonly, between a 2-shot hole and a 3-shot hole. Therefore, most players of a given and fairly similar skill-level will get the same score on the hole.

Tweener can also apply to wooded holes that have fairly-easily-negotiable forced doglegs at certain distances, such that most players of a given skill-level will get the same score.

In either case, tweeners are pretty much thought to be stupid.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
whether the hole SSA is a 3.3 ,3.5 or 3.7 its still far superior to a 3.0 or 4.0.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodney View Post
Many of you are applying the term "tweener" to concepts other than the most common usage. I mean, it's just a word, so I guess you can use it however you want. But for the most common usage, see below.

A tweener is a hole is a hole that is somewhere between a 1-shot and 2-shot hole; or, less commonly, between a 2-shot hole and a 3-shot hole. Therefore, most players of a given and fairly similar skill-level will get the same score on the hole.

Tweener can also apply to wooded holes that have fairly-easily-negotiable forced doglegs at certain distances, such that most players of a given skill-level will get the same score.

In either case, tweeners are pretty much thought to be stupid.
explain how tweeners are enabling the same scores from players of different skill levels...I understand a tweener to be one where scores are distributed between a '2 or a 3' and a '3 and a 4'?
Old 10-24-2011, 12:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.3
Courses Played: 113
Tweeners don't have anything to do with players of different skill levels.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 92
My two cents (from the perspective of designing a course and tracking thousands of rounds on it) is that the scoring spread determines a good hole. The bad tweener holes are the ones that everybody gets the same score on ... regardless of whether its a 3.3 or a 3.5 or a 3.7. The best holes tend to be closest to round integers because they have more interesting scoring spreads ... say it averages 3.0 but has 50% 3's, 25% 2's and 25% 4's.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:26 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.1
Courses Played: 569
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Optidiscic - whether the hole SSA is a 3.3 ,3.5 or 3.7 its still far superior to a 3.0 or 4.0.
Not if the scoring spread on the 3.0 and 4.0 holes is appropriate. These are better than any other hole if the spread is good. The problem is that scoring average alone does not indicate spread. So 3.7, 3.5 and 3.3 in declining preference are fallback options when you can't do the best average with round numbers AND spread.