Old 10-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 187
Throwing Style: RHBH
New course in Batavia IL?

I won't give out the information as to where this course is being put in, but I would like to make a comment that if it is being put in without consulting other "experience designers" (i use that term loosely) It would be a bit frusterating to see another new poorly designed course go up in Northern Illinois. IM me if you need help gathering volunteers as I have a panel of eager young designers that are willing to offer their services free of charge.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 260
thats the rumor??
Old 10-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 31.1
Courses Played: 145
Value added?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicRib View Post
I won't give out the information as to where this course is being put in, but I would like to make a comment that if it is being put in without consulting other "experience designers" (i use that term loosely) It would be a bit frusterating to see another new poorly designed course go up in Northern Illinois. IM me if you need help gathering volunteers as I have a panel of eager young designers that are willing to offer their services free of charge.
If your "eager young designers" are willing to work for free, what is the value of their work? Nothing? Who is the owner of the property and the new course? Are they unwilling to pay for a competent, experienced designer?
Old 10-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 130
So another poorly designed disc golf course is about to be installed in the greater Chicagoland area. Why am I not surprised????

BionicRib,
It appears that your message is intended for the local Park District. Do you have a contact at the Park District that is also a DGCR member? If so, were you just hoping that person would stumble upon this thread?

It may be more productive to contact the Park District office directly and offer your services. You may also want to consider contacting the State of Illinois PDGA coordinator. On this site, he is #19325.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 260
Does anybody have more information on this course??? Or is it just.....
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 154
I am always willing to lend a hand....when I'm able to.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 218
I'm available as well.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 31.1
Courses Played: 145
Need help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
So another poorly designed disc golf course is about to be installed in the greater Chicagoland area. Why am I not surprised????

BionicRib,
It appears that your message is intended for the local Park District. Do you have a contact at the Park District that is also a DGCR member? If so, were you just hoping that person would stumble upon this thread?

It may be more productive to contact the Park District office directly and offer your services. You may also want to consider contacting the State of Illinois PDGA coordinator. On this site, he is #19325.
If you are looking for a competent designer, I offer my services. I am a memebr of the PDGA Course Designers Group, PDGA #5556, and have designed many courses, including 6 this year. I would be glad to take a look at what you have and offer my advice on how to proceed with your parks dept and course.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy View Post
If your "eager young designers" are willing to work for free, what is the value of their work? Nothing? Who is the owner of the property and the new course? Are they unwilling to pay for a competent, experienced designer?
an experienced designer had to start somewhere.....I have no problem consulting a designer more experienced than myself. There are some "experienced designers" that design horrible courses though. IMO there are only a few "experienced designers" out there to begin with. An experienced designer does not put their name on a bad course design.......In my opinion if you are an "experienced designer" you don't need to tell anyone that because everybody already knows.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

If its one thing I have learned in the short time dealing with the few parks that I have they don't want to put a whole lot of money in it because they don't always think a course will succeed or be received well by the community. A lot of courses in our area go in with many "easily avoidable mistakes" not because of the designers but because the park limited what they could use or in some cases changed the design before installation. And I'm sure most of you know that if move a basket or a tee pad a few feet from where it was originally intended you can drastically change a hole............Disc golf in the parks eyes is at the bottom of the totem poll. There seems to be a lot of politics and pride involved when installing a course in a park where none of the park workers have even picked up a disc in their life. I had one park worker one time ask me if horseshoes were used to throw on a disc golf course. A lot of them have a hard time even listening to anyone with more experience than themselves. I haven't used this site for a long time, but one thing I think some people don't take into consideration before they review a course, is that sometimes the designer of the course is not the one that is at fault for all the stupid things that some parks do because of their ignorance to the sport......... Some designers design a course (for a park) and then they think that because they designed it, they, in a sense own it. They think they have the "right" to be the only one who can run a tournament there or run a league there. Wake up people the park owns the park!......Some designers design a course and then can't handle constructive criticism. The get a few people together and shut everybody else out (who may know much more then them) so "they" can be the ones that did it.............now I will arrive at the point........Some of the greatest courses that I have played or heard of were designed by a lot of disc golfers with different experience and skill levels because they worked together. Get as many people that you know and trust to help out 4 eyes are better than 2......20 eyes are better than 6.......less gets overlooked when more heads are involved. And then in the end, everyone gets to benefit by playing a kick ass course...........I will now step off the podium...