Old 11-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 31.2
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHBH
Visit Hamilton County

Come on down. We've got some great courses all over the state and more on the way! In 2011 we tied nationally for second with 15 new courses in the ground this year! Hamilton County gained three this year and it looks good for more in the future!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy View Post
Everyone wants a course right around the corner. I just got one 1.5 miles away! And yeah, we have some stinky politics around here too, it sucks.
What you talked about with the parks dept is exactly what I was trying to make a point about earlier. What is with parks depts not wanting to invest anything, in paying for a designer to work on their course. Can you point to any other thing in a park that they did not pay a designer to work on? They just don't get that it can save thenm a lot in the long run and make their course more attractive to both local and out-of-town players. And we as disc golfers often contribute to the problem and the parks perception that they don't have to pay anything, because we are so eager to get courses in that there is always a golfer somewhere who will do it for free. And that is fine if you only ever do that one course. But how do (potential or new) designers get beter if they only ever do the one course? And if you are doing mulitple courses over many years, you find out that you just can't do them all for free! Kind of a catch 22 situation. Perhpas the locals in your area could raise some cash (even $500 is great) to get a true "experineced designer to at least come in and look at the land and the potential layout. Good luck!
I definitely like the idea of raising the money to get a competent designer to come redesign/design some courses in the area. The hard part would be to organize something (I guess a 50/50ctp or extra money at leagues would be a good idea)......but I don't think it would be in my best interest to do that when the course I would want to improve is the very course we run leagues at. And if I tried to do something elsewhere I would be opening another can of worms with all the bs territorial disputes with clubs in the area.......I don't have the time or the patience for that garbage...........I think the DGCD is an excellent idea, (atleast from what I know about it)........Its not like you go to college to become a disc golf course designer.......but an organization like this (as it grows)....can definitely help set the bar down the road for competent course designers to where it may be commonplace for parks/preserves/private owners, to pay for good design.........but I do see and agree with your points Macdaddy
Old 02-26-2012, 11:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: LHBH
I got a chance to see the layout this weekend... a full 18 in a pretty good location. Nothing over 400 ft though. Looks like there are either multiple pin positions or multiple pads on every hole which is a plus. 5 by 10 rubber pads are going to be the teepad material, I haven't had much experience with these but I hope that hold up well. Good thing is this will speed up the installation process as they won't have to lay the concrete. I hope this gets done before summer.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:00 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdiv48 View Post
I got a chance to see the layout this weekend... a full 18 in a pretty good location. Nothing over 400 ft though. Looks like there are either multiple pin positions or multiple pads on every hole which is a plus. 5 by 10 rubber pads are going to be the teepad material, I haven't had much experience with these but I hope that hold up well. Good thing is this will speed up the installation process as they won't have to lay the concrete. I hope this gets done before summer.

Multiple pads meaning PRO + AM or is somebody introducing JR. pads too? The idea that there might be multiple anything great to hear. Do you think a 9 hole with PRO / AM pads would be better suited with the land - so that throwing from the Pro Tees is an actual challenge? Or do you feel that the layout is already satisfying this need?

The rubber pads will be fine as long as they are installed correctly.

I'm Just craving True Par 4's to play.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenco View Post
Multiple pads meaning PRO + AM or is somebody introducing JR. pads too? The idea that there might be multiple anything great to hear. Do you think a 9 hole with PRO / AM pads would be better suited with the land - so that throwing from the Pro Tees is an actual challenge? Or do you feel that the layout is already satisfying this need?

go play pinehills lmao
Old 02-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenco View Post

If they made it only 9 and maximized the land available (land west of west main Park off of Main St, a field with spotted trees right now) it would be enormous. At first glance of the layout it looks like they could expand it a bit, but I would have to go the field and walk it with the layout to be sure.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 39
Quote:
This is not going on Moosehart property is it? I lived in the area for a while and with all of the new building in the area I can't imagine where this would be if it's truely in Batavia and not heading west out Main around Nelson Lake....
Old 02-27-2012, 10:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

This is the area that the course will be at. You can see the large field directly west of West Main Park (inside of the black circle), pretty much at the intersection of Fabyan and Main. I don't believe it is technically Batavia anymore, but the park district still has facilities in this area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bataviafrolfcourse.jpg (103.7 KB, 55 views)
Old 02-28-2012, 03:36 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 154
Quote:
If they made it only 9 and maximized the land available (land west of west main Park off of Main St, a field with spotted trees right now) it would be enormous. At first glance of the layout it looks like they could expand it a bit, but I would have to go the field and walk it with the layout to be sure.

Describe "enormous" please. This part of IL has YET to see enormous....why does it seem like everyone is afraid of it? ( I hate the long, semi-open, non-descript courses, I'm not pushing for that, but maybe the land in Batavia can be used in such a way that it's "enormous" by way of challenging + thought provoking with those 2 sets of tee pads you speak of -- maybe as 9 holes or 12 instead the 18.

And I ask you to describe enormous only because you said that the layout for 18 holes did not give way to a single hole over 400 ft. Not knowing the terrain (although the aerial shot is helpful) it's too hard for me to go into more detail about other options for the use of the remaining land.

Just curious b/c is my opinion it looks like there could be room for 18 holes... But to not have a singe hole over 400 ft., that's where I'd question the motives.

Last edited by jenco; 02-28-2012 at 03:39 AM.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

I think the answer to your first question is easy. The majority of players in this area are "chuckers." An "enormous" course may attract the elite, hard core players, but unfortunately they are the minority. As far as the park district is concerned, and they are the ones in control of this, they would prefer to have a smaller, easier course that attracts everyone instead of a more elite course that only attracts a select few.
Until I get a chance to actually walk the land, I can't be exact on any of my measurements, but based on the legend showing the size of 500 ft compared to the area inside of the circle, I feel certain 18 500 plus foot holes can fit, with 1 or two topping out at 1000 plus if they planned it right.
The best of both worlds would be to have strategically placed 2nd and 3rd tee pads to offer a range of distances for every hole.