Old 10-26-2011, 11:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 58
Design A Hole

I am doing some work in the woods at Churchill Park in Liberty OH and every time I have people with me I always look for input. So now that I'm home and can't stop thinking about this place, I figured I would see what you guys would come up with.

I am posting four pictures:

Picture 1 - Blank Picture of the area available for use.

Picture 2 - Picture with the layout I first laid out when I got the green light.

Picture 3 - Picture with the creeks and public areas defined.

Picture 4 - Holes that are already carved out or under construction. (scattered I know)

I would like to see what you guys think of the layout I put out and then see what you can come up with for one or more holes.

I am also including the latitude/longitude so you can look it up and zoom in if needed. 41.159327,-80.670547
Old 10-27-2011, 03:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHBH
That's cool. It's hard to tell what would would from an aerial map with woods that thick, but it looks like you'd at least have enough room.

I noticed theres a power line field that runs through the middle of the park. How exactly did you put those into play?
Old 10-27-2011, 04:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 1
Assuming the blue lines are the creeks, in picture 3 towards the bottom left corner where the creeks T. Make the pad behind the T and run a long anhyzer along the creek going towards the right the curving down. Having a creek run the length of the fairway is a great way to put water into play the entire hole and, unless its a really deep creek, keeps the lost disc factor down.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by 164StarValkyrie View Post
That's cool. It's hard to tell what would work* from an aerial map with woods that thick, but it looks like you'd at least have enough room.

I noticed theres a power line field that runs through the middle of the park. How exactly did you put those into play?
Fixed
Old 10-27-2011, 08:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by 164StarValkyrie View Post
In the original layout I made up, I didn't. But, after the dozens of walkthroughs I've done, there will be a long bomber down the middle of it
Old 10-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 39.9
Courses Played: 183
On the original layout, what's to stop players from taking the easy route over the other-users area on 2 or parking lot on 8?
Old 10-27-2011, 09:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
On the original layout, what's to stop players from taking the easy route over the other-users area on 2 or parking lot on 8?
That was my first thought too, must be some big mandos in there...
Old 10-27-2011, 10:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.9
Courses Played: 363
Throwing Style: LHBH
In picture 2 for the holes in the top middle they are very packed in there. Looks like you have only the distance of 4-6 parking spaces between them.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Walls of tree bush vine things lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
In picture 2 for the holes in the top middle they are very packed in there. Looks like you have only the distance of 4-6 parking spaces between them.
Like I said it was the first "hey I'm stoked to be doing this" draft. I'll post something better later.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.9
Courses Played: 363
Throwing Style: LHBH
What level of player are you aiming this course at? What length of throws are you centering the hole lengths around? What are the typical widths (at pinch points) of the woods holes going to be?

This looks like some cool land - I am assuming it is moderately hilly (but it is hard to tell for sure). It does however look pretty cramped with all the houses and businesses surrounding a lot of the park. Buffer zones from them and from other park activities will cut dramatically into the usable space.

BTW, if you do not already know this Google maps has a very handy measuring tool built in (in Labs) and Bing Maps has excellent "bird's eye" aerial views where you can scope everything out from 4 directions/perspectives (thanks for providing the coordinates!)