Old 11-03-2011, 04:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 729
^I believe this is one of your home holes Mark. Albeit, now extinct. Camden Yards?

Edit: Confirmed...
Old 11-03-2011, 05:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Miniac View Post
The Gran Canyon disc golf course was blatantly billed as "Florida's Extreme Disc Golf Course", so it's not as if ANYONE didn't know what they were getting into. I believe that, anyone who looks at the other 26 holes would find safe & sufficient landing areas for nearly all of them.
"Safe"????? I took some stances my cardiologist wouldn't approve of!

But any demerits for that one hole being a little unfair are more than offset by how much fun it was.

[ Sidebar: I was playing it at the Cross Canyon tournament, right after we'd bought the property for Stoney Hill. John (property owner) comes strolling by and hollers: "Sauls! Sauls! You need to build one of these on your course!" Alas, all we were able to build was a miniature. ]
Old 11-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterb View Post
NORCAL I'm assuming you've played Dela. Plenty of sloped greens there with exposed roots and other items that create random roll-aways and such. Yet every pro I've ever spoken with speaks highly of the course. Napa, on the other hand, I'd agree with you.
I think all of the greens at Dela are fair, although a few are borderline (#21, new pin on #23, #25). While there's some extreme slopes near the baskets, most holes provide a reasonable landing area. Additionally, barriers have been placed to prevent the worst rollaways, and I recall seeing woodchips placed around the base of the baskets for tournament play.

Sloping greens present a good test of golf skills, but their use needs to be balanced against the possibility of increased rollaways. Napa is a good example of that balance getting out of whack. It's a great rec course and tons of fun, but its not a good course for serious competitive play because of the rollaway issue. Scores can swing wildly on that course depending on how the disc rolls, and you can count on one or two rollaways per round.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
What an terron;e hole......The "concept" if done in woods or an open field is debatable...for a number of reasons
What is terron? "Clod of earth" or "lump of sugar"? I do not speak Spanish. I had to look that word up in an online dictionary

What is debatable about the concept of the hole? I'm curious to hear 2-3 reasons the concept does not work in your book since you say there are a number of reasons?
Old 11-03-2011, 05:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack straw View Post
Don't be dissing the noodle hole and Cam Yards in general.
Cam Yards was not a noodle arm course. I played there well over 50 rounds there with big arm folks like Jerm, Hern, DYG, Stack, Tradd, Wisco, MJ, Cam, and RobK and at least 8 of the holes presented an appropriate challenge to them.

Indeed it was in a multi-use PRIVATE park and conflicted with other activities (in the very rare occasion that there were other activities) .....but not at the times it was played. For a PUBLIC park, this would never work.

The cool thing about the course that made several holes unique was that it was able to use fences and the little league backstop as "sand traps". That is the concept that I am trying to discuss here since I believe it can really add to the game of DG if used more widely (and of course there are always some know-it-alls who scoff at innovation).
Old 11-03-2011, 06:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack straw View Post
Don't be dissing the noodle hole
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
Cam Yards was not a noodle arm course. I played there well over 50 rounds there with big arm folks like Jerm, Hern, DYG, Stack, Tradd, Wisco, MJ, Cam, and RobK and at least 8 of the holes presented an appropriate challenge to them.
I must be getting old and my memory & reading comprehension waning. I read "noodle arm hole".....only the CYA regulars there called it the "noodle hole" because of the yellow swimming noodle I put on top as a vandal-proof flag. I must know you, but can't figure out who you are from your profile - Hargett?
Old 11-04-2011, 04:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHFH
Thanks for all the input guys. I have been super busy at work and have not had a chance to work on new graphics for a day or two. I am going to be out at Somerset working on clearing fairways tommorow and will take some pics. Keep this thread going with good pics of greens. Graphics are welcome also.

Thanks everyone.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 5
At my home course, a few of the baskets have drainage ditches on one side or the other. Most of the time they are dry and are really just grassy moats or 'bunkers' if u will. You could incorporate features like this on purpose when designing your greens. I wouldn't put them totally encircling, but rather in strategic placements where u think discs would go. Sorry if this has already been mentioned (I didn't read through the whole thread).
Old 11-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 48
NC mountain green

Here is an idea I got from another course owner, Ive put two of them in play on my course and if defiantly provides the extra challenge without being gimmicky (in my opinion)
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_i...741&p=ba5fe2e4

Old 11-06-2011, 09:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx23ang View Post
Here is an idea I got from another course owner, Ive put two of them in play on my course and if defiantly provides the extra challenge without being gimmicky (in my opinion)
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_i...741&p=ba5fe2e4
A disc eating dog on every green...definetely adds challenge