Old 08-29-2012, 10:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana View Post
I look forward to when I can play your course.
You left SC too soon.

Ever visit?
Old 08-29-2012, 11:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 138
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to New013
I had an idea today while moving an old dog cage. It's about 12x6 and open on the top and bottom. I stood it up on one end so it's 12' tall and open on two sides. I think it would be cool to hang a basket from the top of it and let it hang down inside the cage so you can only go at the basket from the front and back while blocking off the left and right.

Might make it interesting if you land 10' left and basket high; and then have to stretch out really far right or left to have a look.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:19 PM
International Hair Champion

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana View Post
I look forward to when I can play your course.
It is an awesome course.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
I approve of obstacles inside the circle, but that might be a bit extreme.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
I had an idea today while moving an old dog cage. It's about 12x6 and open on the top and bottom. I stood it up on one end so it's 12' tall and open on two sides. I think it would be cool to hang a basket from the top of it and let it hang down inside the cage so you can only go at the basket from the front and back while blocking off the left and right.

Might make it interesting if you land 10' left and basket high; and then have to stretch out really far right or left to have a look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I approve of obstacles inside the circle, but that might be a bit extreme.
Sounds like what Dana had designed you're just using a metal object in lieu of the trees...

Old 08-29-2012, 11:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 199
Cool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post

New013's putt, putt emporium. Yippee!! Maybe you can put it on an 18 foot pole too. Windmill???
Old 08-29-2012, 11:39 PM
Birdie Member

I really like some of the ideas in this thread. Here are some examples of "difficult" greens that I have played and thought were really well executed.

This is the elevated basket at #9 hornets nest park. Its on an elevated dirt mound and then the pole of the basket is about twice as tall as normal. The hole plays from the right o the pic to the left, making being behind the basket a recipe for a risky putt. Being short leaves you with a tough putt but not nearly the blow by risk of being on the berm putting back to the basket

This is the runaway green at #3 nevin park. This is one of my favorite highly sloped greens because the basket looks normal as you are playing down the fairway. However, any overshot approach is going to end up at the bottom of the hill and leave a tough putt. The slope isn't so severe though that you can't layup short of the basket if you don't want the long downhill putt.

This is the obstacle green at #10 at bradford park. The rock is directly in front of the basket as you play from the tee. All you can see is the flag sticking up from tne top of the basket as you drive slightly uphill. The rock is large enough that being short of it creates a possible, but really difficult putt. Being past the rock though brings the cedar trees that are about 30' behind the basket into play. This is one of the only greens I have seen with a big obstacle so close to the basket and it still work well.

You know, there are some really unique greens in Charlotte...
Old 08-29-2012, 11:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 199
I enjoy the Nevin and Bradford positions. The elevated basket has just been done too often. I get using it when the landscape offers nothing fun to use, but it rarely adds to the fun of a hole.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:57 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppydisc View Post
I enjoy the Nevin and Bradford positions. The elevated basket has just been done too often. I get using it when the landscape offers nothing fun to use, but it rarely adds to the fun of a hole.
It helps that the hornets nest hole is only 165'. Being that short, it really encourages ace runs. You can guess how that usually works out

Old 08-30-2012, 04:00 AM

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 215
This hole always struck me as a sneaky green. Water in front and behind with not much in between.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_i...505&p=45cd7c81

Since it's in Arizona the water isn't very deep, but it still sucks to putt from down in the gross gulley.