Few more:

Old 09-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 148
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcplease View Post
I feel like, if its logistically possible for the course to implement, the 10m circle should be mowed very short to allow easier roll aways and to make drives skip a little more. I think that challenge would be cool to have, at least in a tournament setting.

At the very old and established course Brandywine in DE, we call them "Yerd Circles", for the gentleman that has mowed those circles on the greens for a very long time... This makes a nice astetic look and feel to the hole, but really doesn't affect skip aways and the like nearly as much as you would think. But beauty for sure
Old 09-23-2012, 06:11 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
Agreed
Old 01-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 19
Time to bump this back up as the "pros v joes" thread
turned into a design "harder course/greens vs design new
baskets/putters".
Just seems to me that many of the examples in this
thread make putting even for pros challenging and fun to
watch and makes more sense than talking about using
different baskets or putters.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.4
something as simple as few upright pieces of sandstone(specifically barnstone) would pose challenge and a very cool very visual effect.the stones should stand around 4ft tall and 12" square(anything bigger could require a machine to move/set) to be visually pleasing and also create an awkward putt if your dealing with one in your path.we are in the middle of installing a course here in ohio and am doing this on a couple of the greens.

Last edited by Scarps; 01-12-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.3
Courses Played: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarps View Post
something as simple as few upright pieces of sandstone(specifically barnstone) would pose challenge and a very cool very visual effect.the stones should stand around 4ft tall and 12" square(anything bigger could require a machine to move/set) to be visually pleasing and also create an awkward putt if your dealing with one in your path.we are in the middle of installing a course here in ohio and am doing this on a couple of the greens.
Do you have a picture or can you diagram this idea? Sounds like something like hole-7 at Winthrope Gold.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:52 PM
Birdie Member

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_i...583&p=fbc581e3
This picture does not do this hole justice. You can be punished for going for it and take an 11(extreme ) or make the right decision and get par or even deuce. The green drops off 15 ft after the basket. Putting 30ft with a15ft rise in elevation can often cause missed puts and costly rollaways
Old 01-22-2013, 01:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
You link did not work (at least not for me). Do you mean hole #3? If so, this is indeed a pretty treacherous green.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Birdie Member

Thx for the photo. Don't know why it didn't work

Old 01-29-2013, 07:18 AM

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 143
I have an idea for a green /design that I'd like to bounce off some other people. Imagine this...

You have a nice 300 ft par 3 with three distinct lanes to the basket.

Lane #1. 300 ft dead straight low ceiling tunnel shot. OB lake threatens on the left side and skinny OB creek threatens along the right side of the fairway. Trees outline the narrow fairway threatening to kick errant shots toward OB. This is the shortest, but most technical route to the basket.

Lane #2. There is a gap 100 ft down the fairway on the right side, about 30 ft wide. It is possible to throw out this gap, over the OB creek and then hyzer your shot back (once again over the creek) onto the green. This adds roughly 30-50 ft of distance to the hole but is much less guarded by trees, provided that you actually hit the initial 30 ft gap. The ceiling is also higher, allowing you to air the disc out a bit more.

Lane #3. "Out and around" huge anhyzer/forhand/lefty route that goes out over the OB lake. This route significantly lengthens the hole, playing about 360-400 ft. There is no longer any threat of trees to deal with, but you are obviously flirting with the OB lake.

The green. The green is basically a U with an up-side-down V (U ^) shape. The basket rests in the center of the V with thick bunker trees surrounding the V part of the green as well as a slight drop off/pitch to the ground rolling toward the OB creek and lake on either side.

The thought process behind the hole.

The hole offers options to various players.

The dead straight tunnel shot is the hardest/tightest line to hit, but also has the most forgiveness on the green because of the ^ at the back of the green.

The hyzer shot, while still requiring some accuracy is a notably easier line to hit, but requires more power and risks the OB creek coming into play. Sticking the shot on the green is also more difficult because the shot is more likely to skip off the back of the "^" unless intentionally laid short to the "U" where a better putt is required.

Finally the anhyzer/lefty/forhand shot is by far the most open, but also requires the most power and involves the largest risk of OB. Like the Hyzer shot, it is also prone to skip or cut-roll of the green into a difficult position unless, once again, purposely played short and requiring a longer putt.

Ok. That was a lot. I got the inspiration for this hole earlier today while I was out hiking and came across a unique piece of land. This "U" with a "^" on top green could work in several other instances as well. Let me know what you think.