Old 11-02-2011, 09:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
Be ready to take a lot of flack if you try anything even mildly innovative.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post

ironically enough the baskets i have historically had the most trouble putting on tend to be in the wide open due to lack of perspective...
Agreed, for some reason Flip City #15 always gives me a hard time because of this.

Speaking of Flip, I think that is the #1 strength of the course: challenging putting greens. E Rock you should play there when you get a chance. About half the holes there utilize some kind of sloped putting area and many others have drop-offs close by. It's strange that one of the holes most wide open there (see above) gives me the hardest time.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 28.4
Courses Played: 82
Bryant lake parks redesign on holes 15 and 16 uses sand trap OBs. There aren't good pictures on this site but here is a link to a picture of hole 15s green. If you want ideas you should head there for a round. I'm not sure it is still open to play this year however.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
this is an old picture, but serves the purpose none the less...its #3.B at tyler PA (used to be #5) and though it isnt madness its definitely not your run of the mill open green. that wall/bunker in the trench on the left is now higher and the pin is now elevated, with a good 8-15' drop off around 3/4 of the basket. putting from behind the bunker is like the fence mentioned earlier, and like elevation changes others have mentioned a missed putt can result in a couple more strokes (not always, but you know what i mean). going for a somewhat long putt can bite you in the butt, but it doesnt have to. i dont really have an actual suggestion i just figured sharing this could aid in all your creativity..

Old 11-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 21
sorry to double post i couldnt edit in time, but i forgot to mention that the green has also been raised on the closer (bunker) side. that makes it that much more difficult to stay on the green and not blow past the basket on approaches and/or long putts.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 40.4
Courses Played: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Rock25 View Post
I know i am not going to put in windmills.... We will have two sets of pin positions on each hole. Each will have two pin placements. We will have one green for advanced level players and one geared for beginners. Each green will have its own basket and one of the positions will be easier than the other. 36 baskets total with 72 possible positions. Hopfully we will be able to have something for everyone from noob to pro.
Here's a tip: use the easier greens for the advanced players, and the harder greens for the beginners. Pros whine if you give them any challenge other than their one-best-throw in any situation, and beginners will enjoy the chance to beat better players through sheer "luck". (Of course, it's not really luck, because if the better players weren't running at the basket with putt-jumps, they could make their putts more often than the beginners.)

Push the envelope. Your course is only one of a hundred within driving distance. We want something different. Experiment, do what you want, don't let other people tell you you should take out some risk, or that "most people" don't want something. If you and Joe like it, do it.

Don't forget the upside of risk. Give players a chance to get an easier-than-it-should be putt. For example, a 12-foot satellite dish with the basket with the focal point. With the pond behind it, maybe.

Two signs of a fun design: an evil grin on your face, and pros whining.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 17
I think another course to look at is Hippodrone -- they have some tough pin locations. I really like the hanging basket which would be easy to incorporate into most courses and give a player a challenge when it sways a little in the wind. Although I think some greens are a little gimmicky - like the bull pen -part of me loves it too.

I also think that incorporating island greens utilizing a BunCR will make a hole much more difficult too. If you’re not familiar with BunCR's I'll try to explain. A player must land his or her disc inside a specific landing area surrounding the pin. If they're successful they continue the hole in the ordinary course, however, if the disc lands outside of the defined area the player re-throws from the same spot until the disc is at rest inside of the marked area. The concept is similar to the USDGC throw and distance penalty without the penalty. You can also see this in the European Open You Tube videos posted by Lcgm8.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 11
Send a message via MSN to drickanderson
I've always loved #24 at Sunset Park here in Vegas:

Old 11-02-2011, 12:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHFH
Thanks for the great responses!!!!

Here is the first Green idea I have layed out.
Veiw from upshot

Cross Section view

I hope that is easy enough to understand.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHFH
New13 I like the idea for the beach balls but I want to do something more organic hanging form trees to obstruct the line to the basket or maybe just lower the celling so you have to putt low. What do you think of hanging cut cross sections of wood from trees at different heights?

We made these for our next tee signs and I think they would be cool to hang around the green to force players to putt under or around. We could put cool designs on them or even hole sponsors.