Old 12-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 189
Throwing Style: RHBH
Erosion OB?

my disc land on the edge of a creek (half in and half out meaning still touching in bounds).........water was specified as ob in the tourney(there was no line drawn)........It was my turn to throw......one guy saw my disc and said he was "pretty sure" it was in but wanted to ask the other 2 guys who were on the other side of the fairway looking for a disc. As we waited the disc started to slowly slide down (towards being completely submerged by water) about a millimeter every 5 seconds or so........I took a couple pictures of the disc because I felt the guy who saw the disc was making me wait on purpose. In the meantime I took a pic of the disc with my phone and proceeded to throw a provisional (which I announced) and the 1 person agreed upon in bounds shot....the provisional (which again I declared) was the OB possibility and the other or second shot was the in bounds.....I took a meter for both and the lie was the same for both. In the meantime (after I threw both shots) the disc proceeded to fall in the water. The other 2 guys came up looked at my pic and said they couldn't tell so they all said I was OB..........three questions

1. Was I in or out
2. What responsibility do the other players have in a situation like this when it comes to a disc being in a what I like to call erosion ob limbo? especially when I was farthest from the basket and they shouldn't really have been ahead of my lie in the first place
3. Where is the benefit of the doubt love?

In the end I did take my pic to the td and he did change the groups ruling, but I am not to sure about his judgement calls because of his inexperience in the game.

Another question that I am not 100% on. When you throw a provisional as I understand it it doesn't matter whether it is your first or second through because it is the throw that you declare before you throw it correct? Please correct me if I am wrong, but I really think I am in the right on all this. (a little birdy told me that your provisional is always your first throw.....I don't agree)
Old 12-09-2011, 10:15 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 587
A couple things:

First, if the disc was still moving, even a little when you got to it, it was never at rest. In which case, you can't touch it to save it from sliding into OB and your throw would be ruled OB.

Second, if the person with you agrees with you that the disc is inbounds and at rest when you both first saw it, then you don't need the other 2 players to look at it to have a majority ruling. In case of ties (2-to-2), benefit of the doubt to the player's position. In this case, you're inbounds.

Third, the PDGA Board has declared photo evidence (along with recorded video and audio) cannot be used to confirm or verify rulings.

Fourth, you declare before each provisional throw which interpretation of the rule you are throwing that provisional for.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 189
how long does a disc have to be at rest before it is determined that it is at rest?..........it took about 3 minutes for it to fall completely in the water.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:45 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 587
The disc is at rest on the playing surface when the group agrees it's at rest. No time specified but usually you/group gets to where you can see the disc, and if it's not moving, you call it at rest.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:19 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 65
Either way it sounds like a dick move on the other players part.
My first tournament the TD declared the #1 rule in DG is don't be a dick and have fun. I wish this was a PDGA rule.