Old 05-19-2016, 02:22 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Default Anyone use a Banshee?

I just ordered one of these because I am trying to find an overstable disc for windy days that is not too high speed, as I'm not yet proficient enough to throw fast stuff. I also plan to use it for forehand shots on occasion. I got it in Champion, 173-176g. I never see anyone bagging them or talking about them, so maybe I could've made a better choice. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2016, 02:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 67

MVPs Resistor comes to mind, if the Banshee doesn't work out.

Someone with more info can elaborate/correct me on this, but I think there's enough "versions" of the Tbird out there, that people generally go with one of the more beefy Tbirds, or else the Firebird, rather than the Banshee...?
Old 05-19-2016, 02:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 42

It's a little known fact that Banshees have a microchip in them that helps them find the basket mid-flight, even when you throw poorly. Ask anyone I play with

Seriously though, Banshee is a vastly underrated/underused disc. Very predictable and can actually get some sneaky distance. Also makes a superb forehand roller, which I attribute to the blunt edge.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro71 View Post
MVPs Resistor comes to mind, if the Banshee doesn't work out.

Someone with more info can elaborate/correct me on this, but I think there's enough "versions" of the Tbird out there, that people generally go with one of the more beefy Tbirds, or else the Firebird, rather than the Banshee...?
I would say this is correct. The Banshee has been phased out in popularity over the years. IMO, the grippy cloudy PFN Banshees were the last of the goooood Banshees. I've got two new ones sitting in a box that I dont want to use yet. Its a fantastic fairway disc though.

I see more beefy TBs, XXX, and Firebirds nowadays.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:08 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro71 View Post
This. Brinster bird makes champ banshees obsolete.

The only point of the Banshee is to bookend your DX eagle/teebird flock if you really like DX.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:14 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunk View Post
It's a little known fact that Banshees have a microchip in them that helps them find the basket mid-flight, even when you throw poorly. Ask anyone I play with

Seriously though, Banshee is a vastly underrated/underused disc. Very predictable and can actually get some sneaky distance. Also makes a superb forehand roller, which I attribute to the blunt edge.
Nice to see a Banshee booster! Why do you think it's so underused?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric40817 View Post
I would say this is correct. The Banshee has been phased out in popularity over the years. IMO, the grippy cloudy PFN Banshees were the last of the goooood Banshees. I've got two new ones sitting in a box that I dont want to use yet. Its a fantastic fairway disc though. I see more beefy TBs, XXX, and Firebirds nowadays.
Why do you think it "phased out?" Better discs overtook it, maybe? I have a TL which I love but was looking for something more OS for wind.

Last edited by asromatifoso; 05-19-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:17 PM
Big Country

Years Playing: 25.2
Courses Played: 50

I really like theBanshee and bagged it for almost two decades. I actually have three Banshee aces. It is a seriously great disc...
...but the RDG Raptor is just better for me. Now that RDG has released Amber plastic Raptors, I dont think I'll ever go back to Banshees, honestly.

The Raptor has a nearly identical flight to the Banshee: zero turn with gnarly fade and absolute resistance to the wind. But for me the Raptor feels better in the hand. Whatever it was that they tweaked slightly on the new Banshee rims just doesnt feel great in my hands.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 67

Like a lot of the DX stamps, the Banshee stamp is pretty dope, though.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by asromatifoso View Post
Nice to see a Banshee booster! Why do you think it's so underused?
because there are so many other great options to choose from in more than just two plastics, one of which is a baseline so seldom used by more experienced/frequent players. They would break in far too fast and lose much stability. The Banshee was/is only produced in Champion plastic and DX. Why? I do not know. I would love some Star Banshees.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:20 PM
* Ace Member *

I got a DX Banshee a couple of weeks ago. I've thrown it into headwinds on windy days a few times. Whoever said that about a chip in the disc is right... I threw a huge hyzer into a headwind and the Banshee just parked under the basket 200 ft. away, though I think with the right and left moves it went 300 ft Seriously, it' s a great headwind disc, and I'm going to see what other uses it can do as a longer trouble-escaping disc and forehand/tomahawk/thumber disc. My wallet is already groaning at the thought of buying a Champion Banshee for the bag.