Old 09-15-2014, 08:39 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Different Wizard plastics comparison

Hey guys,

I use Wizards for putts and most all of my approaches. I started out with SSS Wizards which I love, but since I started using putters for approaches I wanted a stiffer putter for that purpose. There are no stores in my area that sell Gateway, so I can't feel the plastic before buying unfortunately. I ordered an HPP Wizard thinking it was going to be stiffer and more durable than SSS, but when it came in the mail, it was more like Gstar plastic than anything else and super flexible. Not what I wanted. Plus it was really domey and flippy and just didn't fly right for me. What I'm looking for is a Wizard in a plastic that is super stiff and durable (yeah, I hit a lot of trees). I realize that Gateway plastic is not the most consistent run to run as some of my SSS Wizards are more rubbery than others, but is there a Gateway plastic that is more stiff and resistant to tree hits. What would be the stiffest Gateway plastic that Wizards are produced in?
Old 09-15-2014, 08:49 PM
*#!SuiCiDe AnKLeS*$$

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 88
Call Gateway directly and ask them to send you the stiffest S (Soft) Wizards they have on the racks. They'll hook you up, and probably give you a killer deal.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:37 PM
Birdie Member

Yup, Soft is pretty stiff. That's your best bet.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:45 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohncandyx View Post
Yup, Soft is pretty stiff. That's your best bet.
Ask about the new G25's, they are the replacement for firmer medium/g9i runs.
Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM
Bogey Member

Thanks for the input. I've heard that white Soft plastic is the stiffest. What are some other colors that tend to be stiffer? Any colors to avoid as far as not being stiff enough?
Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM
*#!SuiCiDe AnKLeS*$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboucher View Post
Thanks for the input. I've heard that white Soft plastic is the stiffest. What are some other colors that tend to be stiffer? Any colors to avoid as far as not being stiff enough?
Color shouldn't have too much affect. I've got several color Softs, and they're all over the map, even within a color.
Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM
Broad Street Bully

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 27
Colors nah, just get a "S" and you are good. I have a "S" pink gerry wizard that I've used for over a year and it's still hard as a brick. I hate it lol. I use it for jump puts. I'm a SSS/RFF kinda guy. I have a SSSS marked and had a "5S" also.

GLOW wizards are also pretty damn stiff.

I have a couple "S" stiff used wizards I'd sell you dirt cheap, I need cash. PM me if you want.
Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM
*#!SuiCiDe AnKLeS*$$

The Glow Wizard I have is more like SSS.
Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM
Bogey Member

Ok, thanks guys. I guess the guy that told me about certain white Wizards being stiffer must have been referring to specific discs or a specific run of discs and not the color in general. Ideally, I'd like my driving/upshot Wizard to be either green or orange. I love my green $$$ Wizard for putts and close approaches. I just want something a lot stiffer for longer/through the woods shots. Thanks again for the help...

Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM
DGCR Vendor

Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cboucher View Post
Ok, thanks guys. I guess the guy that told me about certain white Wizards being stiffer must have been referring to specific discs or a specific run of discs and not the color in general. Ideally, I'd like my driving/upshot Wizard to be either green or orange. I love my green $$$ Wizard for putts and close approaches. I just want something a lot stiffer for longer/through the woods shots. Thanks again for the help...

It's not that certain colors are stiffer than others. It's is really based off of run to run. One run the whites my be stiffer and the oranges maybe softer. This is same for almost all of gateway putters. Even the glows will vary. The glows we have in stock right now are on the firm side. If you are looking for a certain feel or texture putter we can help you find what you are looking for.