Old 11-29-2011, 04:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 23
when is this disc going to be released as a non cfr disc? what types of plastic are we talking about?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Right now, they've just got it slated in their S line plastic. I think a lot of us would love to see it in C-Line as well.

The Discmania website says it will be released sometime next year. But you can get it now if you'd like.

https://www.discgolfvalues.com/store...&productId=677
Old 11-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

what are different discmania plastics like. I thorw innova. Can someone please give me a breakdown?
Old 11-29-2011, 06:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 29
Eco
Discmania is molded by Innova
C is champ
S is star
Old 11-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 28
This disc is sounding exactly like what I have been looking to replace my jls' with. I cant wait till this is in full production and in S,C, and P line.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
Overall I'm very impressed and excited about this disc...It shows real promise of overcoming the shortcomings I've found with other fwy drivers. I had a lot of success throwing it both FH and BH...My FH is OATy with some discs, but the FD was coming out so butter smooth that I was bombing slow annies on holes where I normally throw BH hyzers. For a lot of the shots I wanted to throw with it the FD was simply too stable in it's new condition...So I can't wait to get this disc broken in a bit. It's a real winner imo and I can't wait to throw it some more. I'm going to be very vocal on DM's FB page that I feel the testers are great discs and they should keep that configuration for the first runs.
Nice review! I just ordered 4 165-169 S-FD and 4 170-172 S-FD. Hope it will replace Leo/River/QJLS that I have in my bag (yeah kind of overlap as I am trying to narrow down the molds). I think FD's would compliment well with beefier Teebirds which can handle some headwind and extra fade (I can only throw Teebird up to around 300' right now).
Old 12-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Double Eagle Member

When is C line plastic coming out?
Old 12-03-2011, 10:12 AM
* Ace Member *

I'd bet that the C-line will be released within 6mos to a year from the release date of the first run SFDs. This way they maximize sales as the SFD is "new" for a while and then when the sales spike starts to decline they will release the CFD and get that "new" sales spike again.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:16 AM
*Legalize It*

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
I just got back from the course and testing the FD. Mine is the other orange one, probably identical to Trey's. I didn't get to do any open full power rips, mostly I was throwing it on every tee either BH or FH and trying to hit gaps. It was pretty windy, with 5-10mph constant wind with stronger gusts.

Simply put it is a TB/TL/Leo hybrid (with a little RR in there as well). It has the speed of the TB/TL with the glide and flightpath of a premium plastic Leopard. I could also call it a QJLS with a bit more speed/glide/range. The wind resistance was fairly impressive for a neutral glidey disc...about the same as a TL. It glided easier and turned slower than a TL though.

Speed
The FD is about the speed of a TB/TL, but it holds it's speed/spin noticeably longer. As was mentioned previously, this is a very gyroscopic mold. I love the speed...It's exactly what I want between my mids and PDs/TDs.

Glide
This is where the FD really represents the "new" generation of fairway drivers...It glides like a RR. I was throwing it on BH and FH anhyzers and it turned VERY slow and glided awesome. It reminds me of my Axis in this respect, and I certainly see the seasoned Roc comparisons. The glide also brings the cruising speed down to about that of a JLS, and it can push into it's glide phase over a large range of speeds before actually getting understable or overstable.

HSS
I have a fairly flat and spin dominant throw. I use more reachback for max D, but I didn't do any of that with the FD today. On the 300-350' holes I used it on today it had just a touch of high speed turn...Mostly it just pushed forward on it's line of release. That being said, it turned easily with a slight anhyzer release, and as Trey said, if too low it would hold it to the ground (reminds me of Leo). I was throwing some very low shots that pushed forward from a hyzer release and flew long while holding their angle.

LSS
The FD seems to have a consistent LSS, at least if not turned too much. From flat and hyzer releases it always faded. It started fading at about the same point as a new Ch or S TB, but the fade is more gliding and forward. I should mention that although the disc does not fade out of low annies, it does at least fight to get flat.

Overall I'm very impressed and excited about this disc...It shows real promise of overcoming the shortcomings I've found with other fwy drivers. I had a lot of success throwing it both FH and BH...My FH is OATy with some discs, but the FD was coming out so butter smooth that I was bombing slow annies on holes where I normally throw BH hyzers. For a lot of the shots I wanted to throw with it the FD was simply too stable in it's new condition...So I can't wait to get this disc broken in a bit. It's a real winner imo and I can't wait to throw it some more. I'm going to be very vocal on DM's FB page that I feel the testers are great discs and they should keep that configuration for the first runs.
awesome job! thanks for all the great info.. once i get my money situation back in order ill be snagging some for sure

Old 12-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 1
I got to throw the FD today.

175g on the button, in S plastic.

The first thing I noticed was the top, the dome popped from edge to edge. Not quite as domey, but it had a similar look to the Champ Darts. It wasn't like the anhyzer top that I was expecting to see. I had a leopard handy for comparison, and its not the same, similar, but a little thicker stack heighth to the rim. The rim also had a bit of taper to it like the Roadrunner and the TD.

I worked out on a 325' hole that is very straight. I threw it alongside a 172g Champ Teebird and a 176g Lat64 River. I thought it had a very similar flight path to the TB, not turning a whole lot out to this distance. The differnece came with LSS, the TB wants to get to the ground and give a skip, the FD just wants to glide its way to the turf. It was similar to the River in wanting to glide its way to to the ground. It was fading, it just wasn't banking, this caused it to stick close to where it hit, like the River.

Overall, I loved it, straight and glidey. Since I had to give this one back, now I get to wait and dream like everyone else. Damn, never should have thrown it.